1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Bill Worrell so misinformed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LandryFields, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

bit harsh, his voice is so iconic

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Bill's not perfect but he's the voice of my childhood. I can't participate in a thread denigrating him.

What did absolutely kill me with laughter last game was when they were discussing how tough Beverley was. "Oh, Patrick Beverley never backs down..." There was about a 2 second silence and I actually said out loud "No, Clyde! Don't!"
    Clyde: "Just ask Russell Westbrook!"

The fact I actually saw that coming made me laugh so hard.

#62 CDrex, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  3. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

LOL They should totally do this just for one game

4. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

boooooo don't hate on Bill! He can say anything he wants...

1 person likes this.
  5. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

that is too funny

6. s.b713

s.b713 Member

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Can't hate on our commentators, they might be homers, but they make me laugh so much lol

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Give worrell a break its preseason. He is obviously not prepping for games and thats okay with me since again this is preseason and I believe he went to taiwan right?

Once season starts I am sure he will do a little homework. I dont know how old the dude is but he does work pretty hard over the years. the guy deserves more respect than OP is giving him and just like when people try to talk about drexler, I am frankly a little disappointed. But nothing is sacred here just look at astroworld.

As for rockets hes just right for me. The way he said 'olajuwon' and 'texas tear' when talking about the indoor football team we used to have.

He will be sorely missed when hes gone. He shoots straight if the rockets are sucking and if theres any glimmer of a win or we get a good play he is a very exciting guy. This is great and the knicks frazier guy is distinctly knicks and the boston heinsohn is distinctly boston and we get the treat of worrell and calvin and now worrell drexler. You guys are crazy. Even LA doesnt have a consistent announcer. The only other announcers I appreciate just because they are so blatantly homer is the jazz announcers. Thats it I cant even name 5 teams that have good announcers vs. worrell and drexler. And dont give me marv albert or bill walton or something. Duh those are national announcers. And even then Im sorry but bill worrell for his rockets insight alone blows out marv albert even though alberts iconic voice is a nice one. Still though its apples oranges to me in many ways.

Back off

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Anybody know the Market for Bill Worrell?

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Bill is a little loco, but he's a nice old man.

Matt is alright, too.

But Clyde, he's gotta go...

11. bmd

bmd Member

Commentators on RSN's are expected to be homers. There is nothing wrong with it.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I am a Bill Worrell fan.

1 person likes this.
  13. MONON

MONON Member

Obviously, those of you complaining about BW have csn so you can watch the Rockets games that they commentate on. It's been over a year since I've heard him, but I just picked up LP this year. I'm sooooo looking forward to the 1st regular season game to be able to listen to what y'all are complaining about.... :cool: and thoroughly enjoying listening to all of it. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  14. BleedsRocketRed

He probably mean as "champion" team is that Magic team was in the NBA Finals and a championship caliber team. I don't see anything wrong with his statement. They were every bit worthy of the term "champion"

When the Rockets lost in 86 to the Celtics, where they not a championship caliber team?

1 person likes this.
  15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

#TeamWorrell

1 person likes this.
  16. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

You are just wrong. I watch the Rockets through NBALP as I don't live in Texas anymore and about 70% of the games I see are not our announcers. I can tell you for a fact we are nowhere near the worst. Worrell has both the 'voice' and the nba experience to know the Rockets backwards and forwards. Bull actually came in 2nd in ESPN's dream job competition as an announcer and is considered top notch for color. Clyde has large name recognition but obviously not too good at this yet. I'd say as a group they are top 6 or 7.

1 person likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Replace Clyde with Murphy already, enough is enough.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rockets123645

Rockets123645 Member

Why the hell is everyone taking sports so seriously? Even complaining about the legendary Bill Worrell? Relax, it's friday.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I would say local announcers, at least from my experience, fall into 3 categories.

1. Unbiased and entertaining for all. Off the top of my head the Nets announcers fall into this category. There are some other ones I can't recall.
    2. Biased but overall nice for home fans. These are ones that basically don't know much about the opponents nor do they care about the opponent. Home-team-centric type of commentating. This seems to be the largest category. Houston IMO falls in this category.
    3. Dead air - those that just don't really talk about stuff. These to me are the worst. I mean, even I would agree that Worrell has gone senile a bit and Clyde is just horrible, at least I'm listening to something while watching a game. Some announcers don't even have that. And there are more of them than one would think.

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Bill is awesome. I can only hope that when I am 70 years-old, I can retain that much information with only an occasional mistake. It was just 10 years ago he was calling for the Astros as well. All these memories make me want Calvin back.

1 person likes this.