1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Bill Worrell so misinformed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LandryFields, Oct 16, 2013.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I like Bill/Clyde/Bull... Noone is perfect, and they probably had jet lag from the manila trip.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Bills knowledge and commentary is definitely slipping, but he's a really like able guy, so I don't mind. Plus I've been listening to him long enough that I know what he means.

I like Bull a lot too. I actually think Bull is one of the best local commentators in the league. He loves the rockets but is still willing to call certain players outon things, refs too.

Clyde is borderline brain dead. Hopefully he "retires" soon

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I can't be the only one that actually enjoys everyone on the commetary team? Bill is a G, Clyde is always good for comedic value with the over/under on his first 'why didnt he just dunk it' call. Who cares if he says dunkshot gosh

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

one thing i don't like is when these guys carry on their own (usually pointless and shallow) conversation into actual game activity on the court. instead of doing play by play, they totally miss the play and then can't even figure out what happened. i've actually started leaning towards listening to the opposing team telecasts sometimes now

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

this needed a poll...

my take is their quality entertainment.

however my dream team would be
    Marv Albert
    jeff van gundy
    chris webber

try and beat that

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Man, I knew Bill Worrell was gone in the head the time he said "c'mon guys, this is no time for premature ajockularity!" a few years back...in fact, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell that meant.

7. hokage5

hokage5 Member

Agreed! Most posters on this board know enough about the Rockets and the NBA already - I like our team b/c they are such obvious homers. Calvin + Bill were the best, tho.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bill is fine. And I'd miss him if he were gone. But I would not mind the talent they've had on the radio both currently and in previous years (too old now) being on air.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Clyde over does his folksy "basketball is simple" routine. It's like he doesn't notice how bad he sounds

1 person likes this.
  10. Yellow

Yellow Member

Worrell is not the problem, the other two are. Drexler is not too bad as of late but his awkward statements, laugh and overstating that basketball is simple and that he likes it is getting old. Bullard's voice is just annoying and acting like he's speaking to a video guy during his little Bull's eye replay through walkie talkies is the worst.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Have you heard the other team's announcers?

I think our broadcast announcers is just fine. They have me laughing while I'm watching my favorite team.

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

It's age man... it gets the best of all of us....

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How is Bill the one who is misinformed, when he knows what he's referring to? He may not say it in a way casual fans may understand, but that doesn't make him misinformed.

**** happens, call as many games and deal with as many players' names as he has and you're going to make mistakes. if anything, that's actually a sign of how much information he's got jam packed in his memory. It's oozing out unexpectedly. I can deal with some play by play mistakes. I have eyes too.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hah, while Bill is technically right with the "#1 pick" it really is useless. Often times when he does that I then go look up what exact pick they were, because that is a much more worthwhile piece of information and shouldn't be hard for him to provide.

Regardless, absolutely love the guy. Been watching him since before I hit puberty. He's basically achieved tenure in calling the Rockets as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, the Patterson thing last night was a thing that makes you go hmm, but I think it's just an honest one-time mistake. I don't recall him messing up names very often.

As an aside, I tried to look up his age and he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. This cannot stand!

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, I am going to say the same thing about this. It was so much confused whenever I heard he was saying this.

16. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

Rockets' commentators trio is one of the worst in the league. They always keep on talking nonsense and unrelated stuff, most of their analysis are non existent, when they start drawing lines on the screen on random plays that's just stupid and stating the obvious. Drexler keeps laughing all the time at everything. They're just talking to talk, not really watching the game, trusting every whistle, seeing blocks everywhere where is no block, blaming player who did nothing, but was punished by referees' bad calls.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bill is a gentleman and a scholar, who I hope retires from broadcasting the Rockets games on his own terms, years from now. I like him just fine. One can't be perfect all the time, even Bill Worrell.

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agree completely with Van Gundy and Webber, but we can do better than Marv.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It bugged me one time when they were talking about Ron Artest playing for Houston and Bill said Ron played for the team in 2005.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Who cares? Bill is the best and I can't imagine Rocket games without them (then again due to this Comcast thing, sometimes I get our stream and sometimes I get the other stream but always hate the opposing teams streams)