1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Why is Barry Still Here??????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If anyone says they knew at the time Barry was signed that the swingman situation who shape out how it is now is absolutely lying. NOBODY had Von Wafer in the picture, he was months away. Luther Head the worst guard ever was still on the roster. The Ron Artest trade didnt happen. McGrady was coming back from injury.

But to play both sides, Rockets still could have signed some size though...and what you coulda forecasted is a 37 year old Barry breaking down and declining, like the Barrys before him. I havent even thought of him much during this postseason. Wafer's simply been better in that role, he's being Brent Barry of 10 years ago without the passing

2. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

The problem now is we don't need someone playing d or shooting the three as much as we need someone, anyone, to get the ball to Yao. Scola, Battier, Artest, Lowry, Wafer, and especially Brooks can't do it. They miss the pass every time. They take the wrong angle. Barry could do it. I'm not saying Barry just cause I like him or something, he's just the only one on the roster that may be able to get that job done. If he can't and he's not hitting his shot, he certainly doesn't need any time.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Barry's not on the floor because of the defensive matchups at his natural position.

However, if the Rockets have the lead, I would play Barry at the point guard position. Sergio and Blake aren't that great of an offensive threat unless you leave them open.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

And the answer is... in case someone... IE Wafer gets hurt.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Shroopy, if u go back and read, I never thought barry shouldve been added to a already slow,small, unathletic roster even before the artest trade. I would bring up matt barnes, ricky davis, or when philly gave away carney and booth for a 2nd, I questioned why the rockets didn't make that deal. With magloire,elson,mbenga,anderson, and big guys like that availible, I also wondered why they didn't go get one of those guys. To me, when a old unatletic team like the spurs try to trade him multiple times and didn't play him a lot and upgraded to mason jr, that says a lot. There were guys talking about him playing 20+ minutes and all these things he did 4 yrs ago. It was a poor move, didn't help our size issue and now if wafer is out, the team is screwed for points. Not to mention if the rockets win the series, when they play La and yao is either in foul trouble or needs a breather, we got to look at chuck hayes help kill the offense.

6. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

serious we can use his experience to help out our players on the court, instead of players making bone head plays.

positive:
    -He can spread the floor
    -he can play the pg spot well (what a pg suppose to do, get the ball into the nand of your best player not jacking up shot cough cough* brook.)
    -he bring experience and leadership on the court for our young players.
    - com'on he cant do worst the brook or can he.
    BTW during the season, when he was playing with the second unit, lowry, wafer
    landry, we have been successful.

7. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I thought the point in getting him was so he could bring some leadership & experience in the playoffs. I don't get why we're not using him, even just a little.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If all of those professional basketball players from various skillsets and backgrounds can't do it consistently - do you think there might be some other factors involved? :rolleyes: Like, Yao has catching difficulties and is too easy to defend?

9. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

We'll see tonight since Wafer is out with a back injury.

It's Barry Time!

10. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Brent Barry will prove tonight that he is better than the Von Wafer ho.

11. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

We really haven't had a time to need to use him but now that Wafer's out he should be able to come in and spread the floor just like wafer and maybe even get the ball to Yao. This game should be Barry's coming out party.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Barry will get his chance but Adelman better yank him out in a hurry if he makes stupid passes and misses shots. Battier and Artest might have to suck it up and play even more minutes.