1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Is Allen Iverson Considered To Be so Great? He was a chucker..

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by eddiewinslow, Aug 22, 2013.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

.425% career from the field

31% from 3 pt range

His whole career he was lauded as a super scorer, well anyone who took that many shots could have been that big of a scorer, literally DJ Augustin has a similar FG% and a better 3 pt percentage but he wasn't given the green light to fire up 25 shots a game.

I know iverson was small and he was tough, but I grew up watching him and he is nowhere near the level of kobe or a healthy Wade or TMAC in the realm of SG. Hell give Eddie Jones 25 shots a game and he would have put up monster numbers, I just don't get the iverson love

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Teams actually start to concentrate on guarding you, after you become a good scorer....so, it's not as simple as more shots = 30ppg scorer. If that were the case, we'd see more of them.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He took a team to the finals. A not a very good team either.

4. arjun

arjun Member

he was dominate...in a way not many players in the nba have been.

def a HOFer

5. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

No one can stop him one on one, killer crossover, speed of a cat, only 6 foot dominated over the trees. Insane!

6. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

He took the sixers to the finals when the east had NO FIREPOWER, my god is that an overrated statement

1.Philly
    2.Milwaukee bucks
    3.miami heat
    4.new york knicks
    5.toronto raptors
    6.charlotte hornets
    7.orlando magic
    8.indiana pacers

please tell me which one of those rosters was exactly scary, that is one of the worst conference standings ive ever seen. Let me list the leading scorer for each of those teams in 2000-2001

2.ray allen
    3.anthony mason
    4.allan houston
    5.vince carter
    6.baron davis
    7.Tracy Mcgrady
    8.reggie miller

that's who iverson was up against as alpha male in the eastern conference.....give me a break....the 2013-14 Houston Rockets would go 66-16 in the 2000-2001 NBA those rosters were just awful back then, especially out west

7. SK34

SK34 Member

It' was the east. East sucks

8. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

out east i mean, the west had some good teams

9. VBG

VBG Member

Because he was so entertaining to watch.

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

He never played with the teammates like Kobe or Wade have had.

You have to account for his free throws as well. He got to the line a ton (averaged 8.9 FT attempts for his career). TS% was 51.8% for his career, pretty much same as Russell Westbrook (who gets to play with Durant) and Derrick Rose (who won a MVP) as well.

11. Sanity2disChaos

6'1 (Maybe) PG leads a team with nobody to the finals and you hattin:confused:...........Who has done this since????:eek:

12. Sanity2disChaos

Not a fan of this thread........AI is the truth and is on the same scale as T-MAC.So if you feel T-MAC is great the AI=T-MAC

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Again, if it was so easy, more players would do it. Why didn't Ray Allen, Carter, Davis, or any of those other guys just shoot more, average 30 a game, and lead their team to the finals?

His individual accomplishments didn't come over just one post season or regular season. It was over a career.

#13 RV6, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  14. smr6

smr6 Member

He's lucky if he is even a legit 6'0'' in all honesty.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Allen Iverson deserves recognition. Anyone who says otherwise is hating.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'm guessing OP never watched him play

17. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

The guy was a beast at his size. You had guys such as Kobe (6"6) that shot just as much as AI (6'0), but he still won scoring titles. The East was weak, but AI had the weakest roster out of all those teams. And lets not forget in the Finals against the Lakers, he put on a show by himself. They probably could have won if the refs didn't let Shaq elbow his way to the basket and call a foul on Deke every time. And the fact that this guy took so much punishment and would play through the injuries is crazy (heart). That's why I think he should be HOF.

This is coming from someone that wasn't a fan of AI, but had respect for what he did.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Someone had to take those shots. The second-best offensive player on the team that went to the Finals was Aaron McKie. Every player's efficiency suffers when you jack up his usage to the logical extreme.

Besides, you're basically making a strawman argument considering the fact that no one actually regards him as being on the same level as Kobe or Wade.

19. Asian Sensation

That's a lie. If you grew up watching him then you wouldn't have created this thread.

1 person likes this.
  20. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

To me Iverson became great in the incredible playoff game in which he and Baron Davis went at it.