1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I Think the Integrity of the Game Should be Questioned

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MrAwe, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

Okay, I know this has been mentioned tons of times before but I think it deserves a thread of its own. I couldn't find if there's already a thread about this, lock if there is.

There are 12 referees in the NBA Finals 2010.
    Joe Crawford, Joe DeRosa, Derrick Stafford, Monty McCutchen, Mike Callahan, Ken Mauer, Dan Crawford, Bill Kennedy, Bennet Salvatore, Scott Foster, Eddie F.Rush, and Greg Willard.

Game 1: Joe Crawford, Joe DeRosa and Derrick Stafford
    Game 2: Monty McCutchen, Mike Callahan, and Ken Mauer
    Game 3: Dan Crawford, Bill Kennedy, and Bennett Salvatore
    Game 4: Scott Foster, Eddie F. Rush, and Greg Willard
    Game 5: Joe Crawford, Mike Callahan, and Derrick Stafford
    Game 6: Monty McCutchen, Joe DeRosa, and Ken Mauer
    Game 7: Joe Crawford, Dan Crawford, and Scott Foster

There are 3 refs each game and they rotate to ref the NBA finals. If my math is correct each ref should only officiate a maximum of 2 games.

As you can see here, Joe Crawford exceeded that number and officiated 3 games, one of which being the most crucial game of all: game 7.

By my knowledge, the League decides who will ref the game and not by random draws.

What bothers me is that WHY WAS JOE CRAWFORD CHOSEN TO OFFICIATE GAME 7?

I can think of a million reasons why he shouldn't ref game 7, but of all the refs, Stern chose him. Someone that was convicted for filing false tax income returns while pocketing the money. Someone that was fired from the league in 1998 and reinstated by Stern in 1999. Someone who is known for officiating games unfairly. And let's not forget about Derek Fishers foul on Brent Barry that was missed back in 2008 and the infamous Tim Duncan incident.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lu1Wz5JQEz8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lu1Wz5JQEz8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm not trying to sell some conspiracy theory. My point is, as fans why can't we do something to question Stern's ability as a commissioner.

I know we all make mistakes, but I would like to see him at least try to avoid some of them. What do you guys think?

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he shouldn't be allowed to ref at all.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Weak arguments, but yeah NBA is rigged. I want the big man game called fairly. Shaq is gone, the Shaq rules should too.

4. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

You guys are always questioning integrity its stupid. People even told me that the NBA was so rigged that the Cavaliers and Lakers would meet in the finals...what happened to that?

5. Mr. Space City

i dont think the nba is specifically "rigged" but surely stern should know crawford history and must have received negative feedback on his officiating.

with stern giving out fines to coaches who criticize he refs because he doesn't want the nba's officiating to get negative press, it doesn't help his cause when he continues to allow a ref with the history that crawford ha officiate the biggest games of the season imo.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the nba conspiracy theorists like to see what happens then come up with a reason why the nba rigged it that way.

a real theory would be to predict what will happen based on an idea of a conspiracy. then if that outcome does come to fruition you can look back and maybe have reason to investigate further.

for example, looking back and saying joey crawford shouldn't have refereed gave 7 isn't good enough. a real conspiracy would be to predict before the finals started that since the nba is rigged joey crawford will exceed the number of games he's allowed to referee.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

8. VBG

VBG Member

How desperate are you?

The game was almost perfectly fairly called. Sure, they're blown calls, but every single ref/person blows calls.

9. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

crawford was the one looking directly at gasol when he went up and down, and ignored it completely

10. RV6

RV6 Member

What about when Crawford knocked Perkins over?!?! What about that? We need to call it out. And don't remind me that Crawford gave Kobe a piggy back ride 15 times so he could grab boards in game 7...it's so unfair!! Or when he boxed out Ray Allen and wouldnt allow him to rebound like he's 6'6 instead of 5'6 ? It's rigged i tell you, rigged!!!!

I think you get my point...

11. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

I think you misunderstood me. I am not taking about the way game 7 is called. I am talking about why is Stern appointing Crawford to officiate game 7 or any game for that matter when Joe has a record of bending the rules.

What's done is done and there's no point arguing about it. I'm talking about future games. How could we let Stern continue his insane approach when it's clear as day that his only concern is to make money.

I know that the last two minutes review rule was introduced this year. But why make up such a rule when the much simpler solution is to fire Joe Crawford and find better refs?

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

Yes, blame Joey Crawford for Boston's predictable and atrocious offense throughout the ENTIRE postseason.

13. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

Read the post above you.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

No, you reread my post again because I said ENTIRE postseason. Boston lasted this long is because their 1st Round opponent sucked (Miami), their 2nd Round opponent had no answer for Rajon Rondo (Cleveland) and LeBron turned to LeBaby, and their ECF opponent was a team they matched up well against (double team Howard? Please, just leave Perkins on him and stay at home on the other 4 shooters). Their defense got them all the way to Game 7.

Point is: It doesn't matter who Stern or the NBA put out on the court to ref. Hell, they could have put Violet Palmer out there for all 7 games and the results would most likely end up the same way because the Celtics' offense was horrid.

As far as your "solution" that includes firing ONE ref and hiring BETTER refs, if you think it was to easy, then why did Stern and the NBA worked ASAP to end the ref's lockout this past offseason?

15. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I am not big on your arguments, but I do agree with the notion of the integrity of the actual game of basketball being in question in the NBA particularly. You can see how it evolved and how they can almost inflate statistics and control the flow of the games. The refs can dictate the whole game and that is not right. Watch a game in the 90s, look at the flow of the game, slow paced or fast paced, there is a flow and the hard flowers are called, but the ticky tacks aren't which can switch mentalities and the way they play in how they are being called or how many fouls they have. It has changed completely.

I think you come in and after Kobe's rape trial, they need a new face of the league with no MJ. In the end of the day this is a business, they need ratings, fans, and stars deliver that. Lebron was coming in with the hype and his first year he averaged 20-5-5, he did so while shooting 41 percent, and almost led the league in turnovers, basically he was force fed and inefficient. Which is fine, because hes young and he'll learn. The NBA gave him the rookie of the year award with his(20-5-5 and no playoffs where carmello was 21-6-3 and led his team to the playoffs, very questionable, different story) Nonetheless, the offseason marked a major adjustment in the NBA changing hand checking rules making it more of a one on one game and giving benefit to the most athletic players not so much the skill player and you could see the game evolve and stats inflate from then and then they market the hell out of that and run it.
    You watch the olympics and you see how limited sometimes players like lebron were at times because though supremely athletic, with a team defense and calls not being accomodated, he struggle to dominate as he does in the NBA, now he has improved his skill drastically, btu the point is the NBA gave this cushion that was unheard of as even MJ and Kobe started and worked their way to be partners of the leagues as MJ himself said, you had to earn it, then you were accomodated, now days its the other way around and the quality of the game suffers.

Who would've thought there would be a day when euro basketball was more physical than the NBA, its sad to see, and I enjoy watching international game much more now

1 person likes this.
  16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Boston happened to it.. and Orlando, last year, happened to it.. Im not going to get into all the illegal transgressions committed by the crooked refs and commish but if u dont see it with ur own eyes and common sense then ur naive

17. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

I wish Crawford was the ref that Pierce 'accidentally' punched back in Boston last week

18. Vader

Vader Member

It tells us that NBA is not rigged completely.

NBA is only rigged to a degree that when Lakers need a win, NBA will assign Joe.

19. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

Seriously, did you read my post? I wasn't talking about how the game would've turned out had Stern used different refs.

WHAT WAS DONE WAS DONE, THERE IS NO POINT DEBATING ABOUT IT. I DON'T CARE WHO WON, IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE NOW

I am talking about WHY IS JOE CRAWFORD STILL ALLOWED TO OFFICIATE, ESPECIALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE YEAR.

Why would you assume that because NBA worked fast to end the ref's lockout, there are no better refs out there? That's stupid. There can be many reasons why the NBA worked so fast to end the lockout.

As far as I am concerned, any college ref can officiate better than Bavetta.

20. RV6

RV6 Member

So let me get this straight...

You're not questioning how the game turned out. You're only questioning why Stern let a ref, who seems dishonest, ref a game and therefore possibly influence how the game turns/turned out? Yeah two totally different things :rolleyes:

You say you dont want to discuss the past, but the future...yet you keep going back to crawford officiating a game that has already ended...no matter how you try to word it, you are debating the outcome of the game. You may not be doing it because you wanted boston to win or LA to lose and you're upset, but you're doing it because you think things would be different in some kind of way had Crawford not officiated. Either way you're discussing the potential outcome.