1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I respect Kobe Bryant and why you should too.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Oct 29, 2014.

?

Do you respect Kobe's toughness?

1. Yes, I prefer old school basketball.

69.1%
  2. No, I like how soft the NBA has become.

30.9%
  1. crossover

crossover Member

This thread being in the GARM makes me nauseous.

Kobe has been a d-bag most of his career, most of the time acting tough, talking loud while backpedaling, and throwing his fair share of cheap shots on the court (remember the Battier). I'm not defending Dwight either; historically, he's been a child mentality in an athletically freakish 6'10 frame.

The reality is, if you're looking for character to respect, you're looking in the wrong crowd. True grit and being a real man is rarer to see and something the media wont focus on. Who deserves respect? Is it someone like Chucky Hayes or Ray Allen? You won't know because it happens in the background and isn't a story.

I'm not sure if this is just some revisionist history phenomena now that Kobe is old and on a terrible team. I wonder if Chris Paul will be labeled as someone who played with integrity if he's still playing at the age of 40 and on a lottery team. Maybe Pau Gasol will be known as the manly enforcer when it's all said and done.

To call Kobe's toughness old school and to say it's deserving of respect just because he got some facetime with an elbow is just a disservice and disgrace to the toughness of those who played on the court last generation.

#41 crossover, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Of course you gotta respect a legend of the game. The games the game and it never changes, simple as that. I hope Harden takes on Kobe's attitude and on court hunger down the line.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Was it the game where Kobe repeatedly kneed Battier's head when they were tangled up on the floor?

4. yobod

yobod Member

Respect...

[​IMG]

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I have plenty of respect for Kobe anyway. I mean, I think he's an egotistical jerk and a dumb-ass, but I also have plenty of respect for him. I'm glad, I suppose, he didn't flop on the play but it's kinda sad to give someone credit for not flopping, when there should only be demerits for using a flop. But, I wouldn't expect him to flop in that situation anyway. He wasn't looking for an edge in a competitive game like a flopper would -- it was already a blowout anyway. He just got in a little ego battle with Howard, trying to provoke him. You don't provoke someone by falling on the ground and crying like a little girl. Nor do I blame him for that or for a full-court press in a lost game. As long as the clock is ticking, it's fair game.

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Lol, I ain't respecting that fool.

7. conquistador#11

I like the old school in him but that still does not make me have to like him. if he were a rocket, that's a different story.

8. TheJet

TheJet Member

This (sorta). I respect the hell out of Kobe and his skills. You have to, he's been that good for that long. As a person I think he's a total ass. Ok, so MJ was an ass too, right? From everything I've read, probably so. But did we ever see MJ refuse to shoot in a game just to prove a point? I always said Kobe was the second most psychotic "I have to win all the time at everything" player in the world, but some of his act on the court has dropped him down my list. You can do/say/be whatever you like off the court. But when the ball goes up you should be about the game.

A great player, a great talent, a world class douche.

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Exactly, he's only tough with Women or when there is a ref to save his ass. Howard is not know for being mean either.

I will say, he didn't back down to Artest when he was a Rocket. Still the guy is in complete denial about his current situation. A true egomaniac who lives in his past.

10. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

LOL!! Kobe has issues. end of story

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm not sure if you can say that "he didn't back down to Artest."

Kobe made a cheap play. Going for a rebound, Kobe throws his elbow back into Artest's chest/neck area. But a foul was called on Artest. Artest got mad and got in Kobe's face, and all Kobe did was was walk away with his hands in the air. Not really backing down. But not really being tough or worthy of respect either. After they were separated, Artest made a motion that looked like it was slitting the throat kind of motion, but I think he was just trying to show what Kobe's elbow did. (I think?)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2aMyyLdRixI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last night, Dwight's elbow bumped into Kobe's chin after Kobe had already fouled Dwight a couple of times. But yet Kobe said "He elbowed me in the face, and I'm going to let him know, I don't like that."
    He elbowed Artest in the neck. Artest let him know he didn't like that.

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Kobe can go to hell. I will never respect him but i will acknowledge that he was good at basketball.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I respect Kobe for several traits, and really dislike him for several more.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of "old school basketball" (I'm primarily a hockey fan - I like physical sports), but a constant 'tough guy' façade and getting in people's grills doesn't necessarily equate to being super tough.

I remember when Kobe was all over Battier a few years ago in the playoffs with elbows. Type-A will be type-A.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

respect him for what, for acting like a 12 year old because his team was getting blown the fruck out and he can't do anything about it on the basketball court so he resorts to throwing a b**** fit.

way to act tough knowing there would never be a real fight in the NBA and he would never get hurt.

Kobe was like the kid on the playground who gets so butthurt about losing a pickup game that he has to resort to talking **** instead of actually playing better basketball, he's also the guy who only pretends he wants to fight only when there are 10 guys pulling him back.

I thought Kobe was known for backing up trashtalk by dropping 50 points on your ass, now he just can only use his mouth while he's team loses by 20 points at home.

15. Patience

Patience Member

LOL. I respect Kobe's talent and work ethic as far as that goes. But I am quite sure half the NBA has wanted to do this to Kobe at some point in time (especially his teammates).

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

There are plenty of people in the world who manage to work their asses off and be hyper competitive without suffering from totally unchecked narcissism or being a total dick to everybody around them. It really doesn't require much effort at all to be thoughtful of the people around you.

1 person likes this.
  17. Zboy

Zboy Member

Kobe was crying like a little b**** when the cops came to him for raping the girl in Colorado.

Old skool players raped you only on the basketball court.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

It was a lame attempt to appear "old school."

He's so pretentious.

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I guess I respect Kobe's toughness. But I also consider him a egotistical, sociopathic douchebag. So yeah, there's that too.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

We should all get one neg rep per year.