1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I Am No Longer A Rockets Fan - A Revelation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by what, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly, we don't need bandwagoners, i am glad you're not a fan.

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont stand people who roots for a team because their favorite player, is in that team, and when that player retires or is traded, they dont like more that team, examples: when Jordan left the bulls a lot of people, stop liking the bulls, and when jordan played in wizards they were a wizards fan.

I dont like these people, its like when Hakeem when to the raptors someone (you?) change Houston for toronto. ( bad fan)

The only thing I agree with you is that Iverson has a lot of heart, and he plays every night with all the strength, and all of the heart.

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Was I somehow less a Rockets fan when Hakeem went to Toronto? Maybe to be honest....but I didn't become a Raptors fan either. I wanted Hakeem to do well, but I didn't care how the Raptors did.

I think people need to realize that fans develop an emotional connection to their teams based on different things. It's partly the players, the city, the style, and an idea of what they realish in sports.

In a world where so many people are content to trade and buy players to build champions....there is something about the homegrown superstar that comes to play for the home team and eventually bring homes the championship.

That's really special, because it's so rare.

I'm a Rockets fan, but I can't it ever being as intense. There was just something really amazing about Hakeem. I mean, it hurts to still see the loss, it feels great to see the win, but it's just not as intense as it was 10 years ago.

Right now, I'm watching the Dallas-Phoenix series, and rooting for the Mavs...because they are the underdogs and remind me a lot of the 94 Rockets. I'll never feel joy when Dallas wins, but this Dallas team does remind me of that great Rockets team...how can you not root for them on some level?

I really wish there was a way to bring Rashard Lewis home. I wish Rudy T could come back, or some assistent from within could take the job over. I would love to see us draft the local stars...

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Excuse me?

Why are you a member of this board again?

5. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Geez. You guys are really cruel to <b>what.</b>As a senior member on this BBS, I apologize for the rudeness of some of our members, and invite you to continue posting. You are quite welcome on this BBS.

Please understand many of us are diehard fans of our beloved Rockets. Its like family. We feel the ability to criticise them, since we love them, know them and their warts intimately, but, when someone says they used to like them, but not anymore, we have a tendency to tell you to get lost.

But, everyone has a right to their own opinion, and you do too, and we're happy to debate that opinion.

I didn't like the Barkley or Pippen trades, but I LOVED the Drexler trade. I loved that management was willing to do things daring, and able to pull off stuff most teams couldn't. As someone else mentioned, the logic of the trade was to get past SEA, but as much as I love Barkley, his sense of humor, and willingness to take a small contract for the betterment of the team, he was not good chemistry for this team. Drexler was my favorite player from back in the UofH days, and I groaned when we didn't pick him in the draft, and then when we had the opportunity to move Sampson to get Clyde and Jordan. So, when we did get him, and then won the championship, that was more fun for me, even than the season before.

I hated that Barkley drove Clyde away. I thought that he'd have played a couple more seasons, and then a whole set of things would have fallen as dominos differently. We wouldn't have traded for Pippen, and gotten stuck with all those bad contracts. We would have selected Lewis, since we didn't have Pippen. We would have had Sam Cassell and Horry, and then McDeyss would have signed with us. The only reason he didn't sign, he said, was because we didn't have a legit point guard. He would certainly of got us past SEA, and I actually believe we'd have won a couple more.

To stay as constant underdogs means that you lose most of the time. I guess this creates some kind of angst in terms of unrequited love, but only provides exciting moments every so often, when they actually rise above. I like it better when we build to a championship level, like what we are doing right now. I don't mind the pain of rebuilding. Its exciting to brainstorm how you would build the team.

So, come along with the rest of us. It should be a fun ride, and you'll probably get the moments you spoke of. This playoff series certainly had the moments you spoke of, IMHO. McGrady carried us on his back and did amazing things, even though he feel short and out of gas. Now he just needs a supporting cast to pull it off. But, I certainly won't be dissappointed if we build a team that does it a bunch of times, where we aren't the underdog anymore, and actually be a team that wins it the way you should. Detroit did that last year. JVG is a coach who preaches team ball, and this team has bought into it hook, line and sinker. I would think, based on what you wrote, that would be appealing to you.

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

*What.* I promise not to try to convince you to become a Rocket fan today. You'll convince yourself once we win another Title.

That's the nature of the bandwagon fan.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Que sera sera.....

Plenty of die hard fans still around.

DD

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

so what you're trying to say is that you're a POSER?????

cool....

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well, I think it's more or less because he says flat-out "I am not a Rockets fan." And what- you expect to get, what, sympathy here? You know, it's all about knowing your audience- if you're going to come on a Rockets board and say things like that, then you should be man (or woman) enough to take the criticism that is inevitably going to come your way.

I chided the Phoenix Suns fans last year about our fortunes and their misfortunes. This year, I was man enough to go to their board and take my lumps. So, I understand your reason behind wanting to welcome what, but he's a big boy and should know "what" he's getting into.

10. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I understand what he is saying to some extent - but it's a bit heartless to give up on the team completely. I've had a bit of a dormant connection with the Rockets ever since 1999. I haven't been able to see a game in SO long... I've never seven seen McGrady play. Francis only for the first 2 seasons he was here. All had to with the fact that I moved to Europe. In terms of Hakeem... I've been a fan since I started living in Houston (if the Rockets moved from the city I would find it VERY hard to stay a fan I must admit), and that won't die. But during the Francis era I found it hard to feel the same of what I felt when Hakeem was our leader. He was an inspiration, and I loved him game. I didn't know a Rockets team without him, so I found the transition quite hard. I still think I'm going through that transition now, and hopefully being able to see more games on cable will help. I can understand why a fan would go through torture in wanting the same feelings as our Dream Team gave us mid 90's - but to pull out completely is just weak. Staying with one team, supporting them through thick and thin is the fun thing in the game... gives you a sense of connection to the game.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Even tho I'm not a bandwagon jumper, I kinda respect them, cause when you think about it, what is the point of suffering. Seriously. If you can feel great every year why not.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Because that's the definition of a bandwagon fan and bandwagon fans are a hated species.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Because enduring the suffering makes the great years feel that much better.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well what did you expect? everyone to come to your support and say "man that s**t is deep"? did you expect everyone was going to welcome this post? so you were a fan of the players...that team that you are talking about hasn't been around for over 10 years. people aren't going to give you a standing ovation for posting about how you aren't a fan of the rox anymore.

it's not like you aren't welcome but talking about how you just realized you were a bandwagon fan isn't welcome. just post in the hangout or d&d or something.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Hey what, I currently live in Dallas - home of the crappy Mavholes and the f**king Crackboys. You know how much hell I have to go through watching and listening to the asswipes on TV/radio rave on about their darling Mavericks?

Oh, and I forgot - they love mentioning how they blew us out of the water in Game 7... :mad:

F**K RANDY GALLOWAY AND CHUCK COOPERSTEIN! :mad: :mad:

It kills me inside as a diehard Rockets fan to hear that crap everyday. It sucks to see my team not in the playoffs. It sucks to not see T-Mac dunking on Stoudemire.

But I still keep my head up high knowing that we have a future w/ this squad. I can rag on them all I want, but hell, they're my F**KING TEAM!

16. caphorns

caphorns Member

Funny. I was just thinking this morning how glad I am to be a Rox fan since if it weren't for the Rox, every "game of the century" type sporting event of my teams in my lifetime would have been one where my team lost (Phi Slamma Jamma, Oilers, ND-UH cotton bowl, Astros multiple classic playoff series). Was there any sports event greater -- ever -- than Game 7 Rox v. Knicks? To be in your hometime, out partying that night was unbelievable. I remember singing Sinatra's "New York, New York" en masse at the Volcano with half a dozen local sports celebrities millling around with their Rox championship hats (ugliest hat ever but I had to have one). It is ironic to me that a man I loathed from that series - JVG - is now our coach. And I'm damn glad he is. If only John Starks was a Rocket? Nah. I even thought of the Ralph Sampson shot to beat the Lakers this morning. Damn ITS GREAT to be a Rox fan!

17. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

We have the core now for another one of those special teams.

Yao, fresh from another country, like Dream, is a Rocket and wants to stay one. Weve seen him grow, suffer, bide time, and he will continue to do that.

Throw in TMac. We saw the true TMac step up in the playoffs. This guy has got "IT". McGrady knows the Rockets have a winning tradition, and he wants to write his own chapter of that tradition, his and Yao's chapter.

The Novel has begun. Dive into it now, and enjoy the glorious culmination in the years ahead.

Clutch City III showed its head this year, but didnt come out all the way. Its birth is inevitable.

18. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

you don't like when the Rockets make trades to bring in guys like Drexler and Barkley, but it's okay that the Pistons bring in Rasheed Wallace. Go take your crap somewhere else.

If you didn't fall in love with this year's Rocket team, you are never going to like any Rockets basketball team.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Being a Rockets fan isn't a luxury, its a way of life...Being a true Rox fan hurts like someone kicking you in your nuts everytime they lose...The same can be said for being an Astros fan...I'm still PO'd, although my pain is because i'm in Dallas and seeing the Mavs reminds me of the pain...

Hell, grow some balls and suck it up like the rest of us, or just don't post here...loser...:p

20. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Folks,

I'll be honest with all of you. I'm a basketball fan 1st, and a Rockets fan 2nd. There's not much room in between that space, but I will tell you that the Steve Francis era drove me ape sh_t. The guy was an ass clown. He made it hard to watch the games. Sure, I cheered for the Rockets but would actually tune into other games because they were better.

THIS season was SO much better than years past. If we can just get a backup SF, a serviceable starting PF, and some energy out of Yao, we're "unbeatable" (in Akeem accent).

But who gives a shi_t about some guy that posts just to say he doesn't like OUR team. Some of our resident hackers should trojan his PC!!!

-P1st, S2nd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.