1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Houston isn't appealing even tho they should be

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Jul 23, 2010.

1. conquistador#11

Highschool, slutty girls, popularity?
    I want in.
    [​IMG]

2. ApuN

ApuN Member

My friend you are in some serious denial. It has nothing to do with what you have pointed out.

Its all about Yao Ming and his injuries. People in Houston have a different view of Ming than people on the outside. Even though he is recognized as being an effective center, his reputation is that he cant stay healthy.

Many of the top free agents only see a guy that stays on the Injured list and they simply are trying to avoid what they are trying to get away from which is being one superstar with no help.

If Ming had 1 or 2 rings right now without the injury rep, many would be beating a path to get with the Rockets -- just like they did back when Dream was in the same position.

It really is that simple.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha. Love it.

4. bloop

bloop Member

I'm not in denial about anything.

1) Houston probably has the deepest team in the league and one of the best benches. Your statement about being a superstar in Houston with "no help" is idiotic. Or you haven't been paying attention to who's on this team for the past year and a half

2) Yao is not Hakeem. Yao has no rings. You're talking about his injuries then all of the sudden hypothesize about how things would be if Yao had 1 or 2 rings. That's kind of a big jump isn't it? From 0 rings to 2 rings? I thought the problem was Yao's injuries not the fact that he doesn't have 1 or 2 rings. I'm pretty sure that any franchise player anywhere who'd just won "1 or 2" rings would be an attractive partner but that's not in any way the situation that Houston is in.

You might as well be posting... "if Houston was in the state of California right next to LA County and Yao was injury free" as a hypothetical. I think everyone else is kind of trying to discuss the actual situation that Houston has not some fantasy scenario with rings and sunny California

3) Yao is his last name. Ming is his first name.

5. redao

redao Member

Because Yao's value is even less than $17M empty TE.

6. Entropy

Entropy Member

Did the chicken come first, or the egg?

We are not a stacked team because no superstar wants to come here.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

well done, my friend, well done.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So Houston is the smart hot girl who trips and falls on her face in public?

9. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

Let's be realistic here, Houston has never been a hot spot for free agents. The only exception in terms of big stars wanting to come here was after we won the two titles with Hakeem.

The way we get big stars again is to first land a major star through the draft. It's how we got Hakeem, how we got Yao, etc. McGrady wanted to come to Houston when he was a big star because Yao at that time was expected to become a consistently dominant center, and the idea was to create a Shaq/Kobe type alliance. Didn't work but it was Yao, a player we drafted, that made McGrady want to come here. The league now knows Yao is not a top 5 player. Until we get another top 5 player, and establish ourselves as a contender, we won't get more big stars here.

The problem is that Morey's strategy is to build the Rockets as a franchise that is never bad, but avoid the major risks that are often needed to win a title (perfect example being Miami, which took huge risks to land Lebron, Wade, and Bosh). The result is the Rockets under Morey will never be a really bad team that gets one of the top picks in the draft. They'll always be a playoff team or close to a playoff team. But without that one major star player like, say, a Durant, we aren't going to be a title contender. A major star isn't coming here through free agency until we already have a big star and the only way we can get one is through the draft.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

They really had no choice, as they sucked. They also won a championship with D-wade(who is the reason they won the championship) just a hand full of years ago. D-wade is still there.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HAHAHA... I LOVE sarcasm!

12. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

That's true, but keep in mind where they got Wade from -- the draft. If we look at the best teams in the league over the last few years, almost all of them got their star player from the draft:

Kobe drafted by Lakers (well draft trade, but same point)
    Lebron drafted by Cavs (he left, but he was still their #1 star for seven years and got them two 60 win seasons and a finals appearance)
    Dwight Howard drafted by Magic
    Tim Duncan drafted by Spurs
    Dirk drafted by Mavs
    Wade drafted by Heat
    Carmelo drafted by Nuggets
    Pierce drafted by Celtics
    Deron Williams drafted by Jazz

Even if you look at some of the "up and coming teams"...

Durant drafted by Thunder
    Derick Rose drafted by Bulls
    Brandon Roy drafted by Blazers

List goes on and on. The only consistently good teams I can think of that have a #1 player they DIDN'T draft are the Suns with Nash and the Hawks with Joe Johnson. You have got to get your #1 star from the draft. Rarely does a free agent just go to some random team with no other stars. It happens (Amere went to the Knicks, for example), but only if a team overpays for them or if the team is in a huge market city like New York or LA or something.

The Rockets problem is that Yao is their #1 star, but due to injuries, he is no longer considered a #1 type star. Free agents know this and so they aren't going to come here until we have a legit #1 type star. The teams that landed big players in free agency all had that except the Knicks, which is why they overpaid for Amare. So the most realistic way to get a new #1 type star is via the draft, which means we either have to get really lucky with a later pick, be really bad so we can get a top 3 pick, or trade for a high pick.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Umm Steve Nash, selected #15 in the 1996 draft by the Phoenix Suns

14. dragonz

dragonz Member

Are you saying the Rockets is like Kathryn Heigl

and the Heats is like Kim Cattrall

and the Knicks is like Sarah Jessica Parker

and the Lakers is like Khloe Kardashian?

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

First Steve Nash was taken #15 by Phoenix in 1996.

Second the discussion isn't about people being drafted, it's about you saying that Morey was afraid to take risks, but I submit to you that, that is what Morey has been taking since he has been here. It's not Morey's fault Yao got injured last year. But he took a huge risk to bring Ron Artest here(which almost paid off) and he took several others but i'm not gonna list them all. Even now he is taking a risk on Yao when he could just trade him.

Third, your right! recent good teams do have there drafted players as there stars.. so what? no matter who comes here, Yao is Houston and there is not another person who could overshadow a 7'6 center. We still have Yao, but what we also have is a great GM and a **** load of assets. Crappy teams with one superstar want draft picks and Expiring Contracts. He has set us up to make a trade for another star. Will it work? no one knows, but he has us in the right place to make that trade. So what they don't want to come here as you say, we don't need free agents we just need a damn good GM with a **** load of assets to make a trade for a star.

Lastly, making our team suck so that we can pray for a good draft is NOT a good idea. First there would have to be luck in getting a number one pick or luck in being smart enough to get a pick(cuz just sucking is not enough, ask the clippers) to get someone who you think will be the future of the nba. Take a look at that Steve Nash 1996 draft some guy named Kobe Bryant went at number 13, I believe by the hornets and then was traded to L. A. . It's not easy to draft a superstar it could take years.

Don't get suckered by this Wade, Lebron, Bosh thing it wasn't a risk they knew about this years ago, trust me they have the same agent and they are friends no one else was considered.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it's all about the looks. Don't see us as that attractive. Maybe with glasses.
    Inner beauty, unselfish - RA's system, maybe little bit offbeat (having unconventional proportions 6'6 center...) undersized upper body, tree trunkish legs - Yao, very morbid, always out with injury or disease
    maybe one tooth is missing - landry
    ...list goes on

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fakers are more like Kim Kardashian, fake show

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Call me crazy but I'd take Heigl over the rest of them in a heartbeat.

19. LandryMegaBeast

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Houston is a .500 team, with it's only star coming off missing a whole season due to injury. If Yao plays well, and we win over 50 games this season, then there'd be a chance to convince an elite free agent to come next summer.