1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why hasn't Jalen Green gone to the free throw line yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 25, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I don't know when the Rockets Real Core are going to play together.

PG/SG Jalen Green
    PG/SG Kevin Porter Jr, I don't know if he can become a Point Guard or a 6th man
    PG/SG Josh Christopher
    SF KJ Martin
    PF Christian Wood
    C Alperen Sengun
    SG Armoni Brooks
    SF Jaesean Tate 12-15 minutes
    PG Kevin Porter Jr. (really needs Shooters in this offense, the best Shooters are on the bench, Armoni, KJ, Alperen, Jalen needs to be playing with KPJ.

KPJ can get 8 plus Assists by playing with Armoni, KJ, Alperen, Jalen,
    Wood

2. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

This thread can finally rest now, we made it!

i3artow i3aller, amaru and apollo33 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Even though he had a tough shooting night, he attacked the rim and got rewarded with FTs.....that is growth.

DD

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I see this dichotomy a lot, I just wondered why people go PG or 6th man when there's also the option that he becomes a starting quality or better wing player? It's where he played his entire life before we tried to turn him into Harden-lite (I'm guessing because KP evidently took a lot of influence from James.) I see no reason why KP not working out at the 1 instantly means he's a 6th man, he's got scoring ability (we saw it last year) so why not try running him where he's always played if the experiment fails? We could still get an all star out of it.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So, you play Green at the SG, and KPj at the SF?

We do need a Point though.

DD

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Interesting to see the complaints earned free throws. Some were obviously warranted.

A couple of times were debatable.

Amazing complaints for a rookie resulted in this. But complaints for a superstar never did.

Truly peculiar.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

We need lots of things. It seems silly to pigeonhole KP into being a PG as his only future when he's always been a wing. I can't honestly say he's shown significantly better PG skills than even Green, who I think looks lots more fluid. I say we see how they develop and play to their strengths. KP's shown way more talent as a scorer than a PG. If it runs out Green fits the 2 and KP the 3, so be it if they're both starter quality or better, then we source a PG. In the same stroke, if Green fits better at the 1 and KP at the 2 maybe Martin or Tate is the 3, maybe Christopher's the 1, KP's the 2 and Green's the 3. I'm saying we should try them all and see what we get from the mix rather than letting preconceptions about position define everything.

DaDakota likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green is not a PG.

Stop putting even more unrealistic expectations on the kid.

Let him learn ONE position first.

Mathloom and Dobbizzle like this.
  9. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

RIP Jalen Green's relative.

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Has to be said, I think both Green and KPJ would be doing better if we had a good pass first point to get them both going with easy buckets. I'd take Wall if he'd buy in, but why people can't see your argument for Simmons I have no idea. Elite defender, could probably slot in 1-5 if you were smart with rosters, and never needs to shoot because we could easily have the other 4 roster slots filled with scoring threats once they've developed more with KP, Green, Sengun and Wood. The more you look at it, the more of a no brainer it is for me personally.

Kevooooo and napalm06 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shot all of them this game.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Atlanta Hawks star guard Trae Young stopped his criticism of NBA officiating before he got fined. Before he did, Young made it clear the new points of emphasis on foul drawing have him frustrated.

"There's a lot of missed calls," Young said. "It's basketball. It's just, it feels that they're learning, and they're just -- I don't know. It's frustrating."

Young added, "I don't want to get fined too much, but it's frustrating."

The Hawks star also said he's seen other All-Stars like Devin Booker, James Harden and Damian Lillard impacted by this new way of officiating.

"I saw James said it's about him, but it's not targeting just one player or two players," Young said. "You can watch basketball. Damian Lillard's never averaged 17 points probably since his rookie year. There's a couple guys. I mean, Book's averaging 18. There's a lot of things that, when guys are driving straight and guys are getting knocked off balance -- it's still a foul, whether they're using their lower body or their hands."

Young finished up by saying he supports most of the new emphasis.

"Veering back and jumping into guys -- that's different," he said. "There are certain things that, I agree with the rule changes, but then there's things that are still fouls, and guys are going to get hurt. Especially a smaller guy like me who's going up against bigger and stronger defenders, they're using their body and they're using their legs and their hands to stop me."

Trae Young and Dame both averaging just 4 free throws a game

Dame averaging 18, 3, and 8 to start the season lowkey looking worse than even Harden

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

at Gobert nonetheless...

DaDakota likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

League's original intent is also worth mentioning. Aside from the aesthetics, the new rule helps reduce overall game time. Before rule an average NBA game could go to 3 hours. With fewer fouls; game this year is in the range of 2hr 15 min and 2hr 30 min.

Unless a game on national TV like TNT or ESPN, there could be more commercials, NBA don't want to turn into baseball.