1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Franchise?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElFrAnChIsE, May 30, 2000.

1. ElFrAnChIsE

ElFrAnChIsE Member

I have noticed that many ppl are wanting to trade up in the draft and get "franchise" players eg swift, martin. However, IMHO there is no need to get "franchise" players if it means losing several of our players. What i mean is that we already have a young, talented, and good core of players, who want to play together. We already have a "franchise" player to build upon in Francis, so is there really a need to have 2? Sure, it would be nice to get players like swift or martin, but why not settle with our 9th pick. Many ppl claim that Jerome Moiso would be a top-4 pick next season, so why not settle with him or Mike miller now, and not lose any of our players. Many ppl want success now, even if it means sacrificing a team who really want to play together. Does anyone remember the 93-94 season? Olajuwon was the only "franchise" player, it was just that he had a strong supporting cast. Did they win the title? yes. Rarely, do the best teams, on paper, win championships eg Portland.
    Correct me if i am wrong, but weren't the rockets celebrating victories late in the season even tho the playoffs were out of sight? Yes, we didn't make the playoffs, but honestly, who really cares. We lost 2 hall-of-famers during the season but all i can see is a bright side for next season. I say, don't trade just settle with the pick we have. BTW, i might change opinion soon, depending on what trade options there are but for now, i say stick with the pick.

------------------

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I agree with you in principle, but the fact is that it takes more than 1 star player to win. The year we won with Olajuwon was simply an oddity. Look at the teams remaining:

Indiana: Reggie Miller, Jaylen Rose, Austin Croshere, Rik Smits, Dale Davis, etc. - two stars with a VERY solid supporting cast

NY: Latrell Sprewell, Allan Houston, Patrick Ewing, Marcus Camby, Larry Johnson, etc. - same deal here with a little more star power

Portland: Scottie Pippen, Steve Smith, Damon Stoudamire, Rasheed Wallace, Brian Grant, etc. - so deep, so talented.

LA: Shaq, Kobe Bryant, Glen Rice, Robert Horry, Ron Harper, etc. - same as Portland

The fact is that every team that has made it past the first round of the playoffs in the past few seasons has had at least two marquee names and an extremely solid supporting cast.

Making the playoffs is one thing. There are enough bad teams out there to beat that being the 8 seed doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. But, to really challenge and go deep into the playoffs means having talent and depth which the Rockets do not have.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. ElFrAnChIsE

ElFrAnChIsE Member

Yes, i agree with you 100% but how long did it take these teams to get those players, and that far into the playoffs? It sure wasn't 1 season. BTW, the rockets last 3rd of the season was encouraging. The rox began to gel as a team, and even tho i do not get to watch a lot of rox games, i could tell that the team chemistry was great. How many teams with a losing season played with as much intensity as the rockets? They won games late in the season instead of losing in order to have better chances of getting higher picks. And if ppl think that the solution is breaking this team up (especially Cat and Stevie), then something must be wrong. Sure, we may not have the most talented, deepest team in the NBA, but we have that desire to win. Patience is a virtue, and it will definitely take time to get back to championship contention. For example, how long has it taken the lakers and blazers to reach finals(1 definitely is in)? at least 8 years. Definitely not overnight. I am not counting Eastern teams coz they are not as good as Western teams (apart from the Repeat3peat bulls) All trading will do is take us back to step-1. I say work with the team we have now, don't trade, unless we get a gimme, otherwise risk losing the team chemistry we have.

------------------

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

I've got a question. I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said about this, but it raises a question in my mind. If Moiso would be a top four pick next year and next years draft is supposed to be deeper than this years, why isn't he considered a higher pick this year? He'll get more experience is the only thing I can think of. But how many teams who are in the lottery this year will actually be contending for a championship next year anyway? Why not take someone like Moiso and allow him to get used to the pro game?

------------------

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

He's not projected higher, because this year, he ain't worth it. He was expected to stay another year in college and polish his game a little more, bulk up and add some more range to his jumper.

A side note on depth, I think this draft might turn out to be as deep as the '96 draft was. Certainly as good as '98.

------------------