1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Fans Are Frustrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I know it is difficult for those of you who are such big fans of Yao Ming to understand why those of us who are fans of the team as a whole can seem like Yao haters at times. While there may be a few genuine Yao haters around here, the vast majority of Rockets fans don't hate the guy. As a matter of fact, we love him and desperately want him to succeed.

But, there is no question that Yao is a frustrating player to watch and our anger comes to the surface at times because we feel like he is underachieving.

The problem is that Yao is blessed with such incredible physical gifts, athletic skills and basketball IQ, yet he seems disturbingly ineffective for long stretches at a time. In much the same way guys like Vernon Maxwell, who had the physical and basketball gifts very few players have, frustrated fans because of his inability to control himself on and off the floor, Yao frustrates us with his inability to cut loose on the floor.

He is a passive center in the body of a man of brute force. His mannerisms on the floor are much like his mannerisms off - he's quiet, soft spoken and gentle. The problem is, to play basketball in the NBA and be successful, you have to be tough and agressive.

I know people don't like it. I know that the swagger and over-confidence of many players is ugly to a lot of people. I understand. No one is asking Yao to turn into Gary Payton or even Shaq. No one wants him to become some trash talking, technical grabbing, loudmouth.

Here's a better model - Tim Duncan. Here's a guy with high moral character on and off the court. He's soft spoken and polite. He doesn't care too much for the spotlight. He has many of the same physical and basketball skills. Yet, he manages to find the agressiveness on the floor to make his presence felt without getting in guys faces. He demands the ball and commands respect through his attitude in the locker room and huddle and by his play on the floor.

He is a commanding presence without the malcontent attitude, much like his former teammate, David Robinson.

All we are asking is that Yao learn to PLAY agressively. Frankly, I think we'd all prefer it if he remained the soft spoken, gentle giant he is off the floor. That affable demeanor will serve him well when he does become an even bigger star than he is now, which will come with wins on the floor (ask Kobe who saw his jersey sales drop to #90 in the league after the Lakers dynamic duo broke up even though they managed to sell just find during the rape trial).

No one here wants Yao to be a thug or a punk. We just want him to throw his considerable weight around on the floor. What good are all those skills, all that talent and all the work he does in the offseason to get stronger if he gets on the floor and shys away from contact or isn't able to hold onto the ball when it is swiped at by a guard half his size?

Yao doesn't have to be Shaq, but he can't be Mr. Rogers either.

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Good timing

3. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Hate comes from high expectation and lack of patience.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Thats asking for the best of both worlds. Even Jordan was a prick off the court who gambled and cheated on his wife. Fact is Jeff, people's on court demeanor reflect their off court behavior. I want yao to be a thug in all honesty, just totally brutalize someone, and if he gonna be that way off the court too, I'm cool with it long as he is winning games for us

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It isn't hate, though. It is frustration. Frustration does come from what you mentioned, but I'm not sure it is unreasonable to expect more from Yao given this is his third year in the league and he's had time to learn the game - the most common reason given for why he has struggled with his assertiveness on the floor.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect him to make his move given the lack of centers in the league, his skill level and his experience.

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

lol Mr. Rogers.
    I really don't know what's wrong with him. Maybe he needs to watch videotape of himself when he first came in the NBA..watch many games from his rookie year to now..I think he needs confidence..and he needs to just play good. :/ I wish he could play like Shaq. :) Maybe Dikembe's screwing him up in practice :p

7. carlos

carlos Member

Jeff,

Your post is dead on. However you did not add the fact that to keep Yao the Rockets will likeley command have to fork over the maximum salary. As things stand right now given Yao's inconsistent play, all world againt Shaq and all crap againt Chris Mihm, signing Yao at he max will condemn the team to mediocrity.

The fundamental question is... are the Rockets better off singing Yao to an extension or working out a sign and trade for two decent hard working players and/or draft picks?

I would like to hear from the capologists about the feasability of
    keeping Yao at a max salary and the implications of that on improving our team.

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

I think Yao and Tmac are the future..and our core..they can be really good but they need some help. I would like to get Gordan Giricek and Mike Miller with Tmac and Yao. Then get Tyson Chandler. That'd be a good team.

Yao has to be aggressive and assert himself. This way he'l lget calls. He should look to shoot more often. Just play naturally within the flow..he's capable of taking over...he needs to push back. I think having a guy like Tyson CHandler would help.

#8 Man, Jan 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  9. carlos

carlos Member

"but I'm not sure it is unreasonable to expect more from Yao given this is his third year in the league and he's had time to learn the game "

Given that he has played well against Shaq, who has to be one of the most dominant centers ever to play the game, there is no excuse for his play against some of the most mediocre centers in the league. How he lets himself be dominated by bench players is mind boggling.

Yao is out of excuses he needs to dominate and not look he is doing just enough to earn a fat paycheck.

10. carlos

carlos Member

Yeah but with Yao at the max could they realistically get those guys you mentioned? Tmac definatley deserves the max but can Yao at max salary provide the second option and support Tmac needs (and more imprtanlty at a good value)?

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

:confused: :confused:

David Robinson a malcontent???? That must be sarcastic.

12. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Because we won't get anyone with those money to make Rox a
    contender even if not maxing Yao. Right now our best chance
    still lies in Yao.

13. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

No Yao is physically limited, he's slow, lack of jumping ability, lack of stanima, slow reaction, etc, etc...

14. brush

brush Contributing Member

Jeff is right on. Yao might be among the most frustrating players to watch.

We have high expection on his performance. Yao can probably reach a high level just by playing with the same attitude as average player. However, most of time Yao doesn't show that. There is no fire to start assertive plays. Every time when we watch Rockets game, we just don't know which Yao will show up, and in most games, Yao's play change quarter by quarter. :(

15. hotballa

He'll never learn to be a better player with JVG coaching him, and with TMac as the main star. Had he kept playing with SF, he woulda gotten much better.

16. GTI

GTI Contributing Member

It's not only frustrating, it's maddening.

I have never thought watching someone play a basketball game can make me feel so many strong emotions... Negative emotions. Very negative emotions.

Why for such a BIG guy, he plays on his heels all the time on both ends of the floor?

I feel a litttle dread when a Rocket game coming up. I am afraid I will hit someone, or drive my car over something.

Does anyone know a good psychiatrist?

17. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Thats the same excuse people used last year for Steve!

18. hotballa

I never used that excuse, I always liked SF and never wanted to see him go. The only guy I wanted traded last year was Cat, that was it.

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I second that..

20. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

What kind of expectations are we supposed to have? The expectations seem pretty reasonable