1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't we have a malcom x day?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

Oh, well then... Malcolm X preached hate against white people in the 1950's and 60's.

Is your point that it happened so long ago that it doesn't matter anymore that he was a slave owner, or that it was considered acceptable at the time?

As pgabriel pointed out, hating white people was probably pretty damn normal for someone growing up in Malcolm X's position. The only white people that had any impact on his life prior to his Nation of Islam days were the white men who tried to burn down his family's home, the white men who may have killed his father, the white people who separated him from his mother and siblings and put him in a foster home, and the white judge who sentenced him to 8-10 years in prison.

2. droxford

droxford Member

Whoa! You completely misunderstood my posts!

I stated over and over again that it was not right to dehumanize people. I never said it was right - in fact, I repeated that it was NOT right for them to be doing it. At no point do I feel that it was right or okay for people to beat slaves just because "that's how times were," nor do I feel that it was ever right for people to own slaves.

3. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

No I didn't.

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i understand why you would compare the treatment of mules and slaves, but i dont think it should be dismissed as the same as animal abuse

under that logic wouldnt malcolm x's perceievd hate just be a reaction to the conditions that he was facing, he didnt mean to say white devil, he just meant to call them the bearers of maltreatment of non-whites, if malcolm x was jewish in the nazi germany era his reaction would have been towards the nazis, infact i could also go on to say that malcolm x as a young man trying to interpret the gift he was given by the noi was illequipped to process that along with all the racism that he and his community faced, it most certainly would not be his fault that he didnt know any better at that time

5. droxford

droxford Member

No. Malcolm X's preachings weren't perceived hate.... they were hate. Pure and simple. A direct attack against a specific race. He said exactly what he meant when he called whites "devils."

He could have preached about black oppression in general. He could have preached about equal rights and equal treatment....
    ... but that's NOT what he preached. That's more of what MLK preached.

He flat-out attacked whites.

Now, can it be understandable that he had reasons to hate whites? Sure. Though it was never proven, it's probable that his dad was killed by a white hate group, which led to the eventual breakup of his family (and that's not the only incident). I'd probably hate whites, too, if that happened to me.

Look at what we face today. We were attacked on 9/11 by people from the middle east. And it's understandable for many of us to hate middle easterners as a result. But it doesn't make it just for us to hate them all and say that they're all the same... that they're all evil. In fact, there was a lot of inner turmoil in the USA because so many felt that way, yet such feelings were unjust.

But that's exactly what Malcolm X did. He hated an entire race because of how he and his fellow ethnic group members were wronged.

Slavery was wrong.
    Whites wronging Malcolm X was wrong.
    Malcolm X hating all whites was wrong (though understandable).

6. Steve_Francis_rules

Sorry, I still don't understand how it's hate to call white people evil because of the historical actions of many white people, but it's not hate to dehumanize and disenfranchise an entire race of people for no reason other than their race.

7. K mf G

slavery was a product of racism and ignorance
    racism involves hatred but is not its sole ingredient

malcolm x's emotional responses were out of ignorance until he realized what the true teachings of islam is/were

8. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Not it wasn't. Africans sold away the Africans.

9. K mf G

so let me clarify
    colonial slavery

africans true indeed captured other africans and traded, bartered, and sold them to europeans
    but make no mistake they did not have the institutionalism of slavery that existed in any of the european colonies,

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

"Sex trafficking is a product of misogyny."

"No, it isn't. Some of the pimps are chicks."

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, and that's literally all he did, at a time when other blacks, King in particular, did not. Nothing X did ever benefited a single white person, and probably a lot less blacks than you think. Jefferson, however, created the political, philosophical and social framework around which all American blacks ultimately gained an unmatched level of freedom and prosperity.

12. droxford

droxford Member

That's kinda my point.

Slavery could haved stemmed more from ignorance than racial hatred.

I don't think it's so much that that people from colonial times hated blacks (and Irish, Germans, etc. - let's not forget that blacks weren't the only enslaved ethnicity) so immensely that they chose to make slaves from them. I think it's more that they were ignorant enough to think that such races weren't capable of being educated, sophisticated and social equals, and that they should therefore be treated solely as an animal-like labor force (...which is, of course, stupid).

Racism is a form of prejudice that can stem solely from anger, or from ignorance, or from stupidity, or from lack of education, or from incorrect education, or from personal negative experience... ... or it can stem from any combination of these qualities.

Example: a child might be taught by his parents and community that hispanic people are friendly, nice, kind and courteous, but are not mentally capable of being educated, and are good only for manual labor. This child is racist because of incorrect education. Not really out of ignorance (which would really apply to an adult - a child is naturally ignorant to most things), not out of hatred, not out of anger.

Again, don't misinterpret my statements - I'm not saying it's okay to be racist for any or all of the above mentioned reasons. It isn't.

13. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Are you speaking for all of Africa in all of African History?

14. K mf G

it is not literally all he did,
    self empowerment and having people believe in self empowerment should be given more credence,

jefferson laid out the framework that continued the enslavement of people for another 100 years and for 90 years after continued to treat the former slaves as second class citizens

15. K mf G

i'm speaking in reference to colonial enslavement
    but if you want to start a thread on the history of african slaves we can converse there

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Um, no. Neither the Declaration nor the Constitution would have been ratified with language prohibiting slavery. No Constitution, no free speech, democratic political process or due process of law. That's alot of important stuff that blacks have never really been able to get for ourselves, here or in the Motherland.

17. droxford

droxford Member

I don't agree with this. There were times in America's past when this was true, but I believe this is not true today.