1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't we have a malcom x day?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner and he's still considered an American hero to this day. I would say that he was a textbook racist as well.

2. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

However, he thought black people made better slaves than white people. So I really don't see it.

3. droxford

droxford Member

It's true that he owned slaves. But, being a slave owner is different than preaching hatred. In those times, owning a slave was like owning a shovel. And it wasn't directed at a specific race - there were Irish slaves, Scottish Slaves, English, German, Chinese... (please note: I'm not at all advocating slavery.) I don't think the general attitude was, "We hate those black people! Let's make them all slaves!" (of course, I'm only speculating - I wasn't alive in those times).

It's also curious that you chose, of all people, Thomas Jefferson who had children with one of his slaves (Sally Hemings).

4. droxford

droxford Member

Honestly, I don't think it should celebrated as "Columbus day" as much as it should be celebrated as "the day Europeans arrived at the new world". And, honestly, considering what was done to Native Americans, even THAT might not be such a good idea.

And I don't really celebrate either of those... I just like having a day off in October, ya know? If somebody wanted to change the name from "Columbus Day" to something nondescript, like "October day" that'd be fine with me, as long as I didn't have to go into work. ;)

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

this thread is a great example of why i try and stay out of the d&d

it's funny how people let their political affiliations define their politics, the question was why dont we have a malcolm x day

it's easy
    one, he was muslim
    in this country where religious freedom is apart of the founding principles it is not so accepting when it is in referenced towards politcal or even social leaders

two, he spoke out against the white majority and encouraged people to take violent action if necessary

eventhough in his latter years he changed his message school systems cannot look to encourage a racially charged message unless it comes in the form of to kill a miockingbird or from mark twain, malcom x is seen as a symbol of power, mlk is seen as a symbol of peace, christainity is the "white man' religion" while islam gave an oppressed people a choice but in reality they are both "white" religions (but that is a whole 'nother discussion"),

it is true that without malcolm x mlk does not become the icon he is today, i think if malcolm x was to respond to that i dont think he would have a problem with that statement, as the message brought about by mlk day is a message that reminds people that there are racial tensions that exist to this day and that people have the power to move past that and unify under humanity,

i think the parts that either mlk or malcolm x would have is that their is not a strong leader in anyone's community that brings the message of unity, and that when anything comes up that has any hint to be a racial issue people look to segregate and'or isolate the issue rather that address it from a humanity standpoint

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its curious how you dismiss the time period of slavery or columbus but don't take into the time period malcolm x lived in.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Malcom X was born in May. Memorial day's in May. MLK was born in January. Much better.

It's OK to randomly assign days to Columbus or Jesus, because....well... they're foreigners -- but Americans should have their birthdates respected.

There's probably more to it then that too.

8. droxford

droxford Member

I don't think I "dismissed" anything. Just said that colonial slavery was not the same thing as preaching hatred a specific race.

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

signed

[​IMG]

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you did dismiss it as owning a slave was normal as a shovel, which it was everyday life.

well since you consider everyday life, do you know what malcolm experienced as a black man growing up in the south in everyday life when he did.

11. droxford

droxford Member

Nope. I can never say that I experienced life as Malcom X did (and, really, nobody can).

My point was that in Colonial times, owning slaves was not the equivalent of hating a specific race.

That is indeed a terrible picture, but does not really contradict my point. Slave owners owned slaves and they owned mules. The slaves were treated like mules. They whipped the mules, and they whipped the slaves. (and it was wrong for them to do so)....

... but it doesn't mean they hated the mules... and it doesn't mean they hated the slaves.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is completely wrong on a whole lot of levels.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By this criteria I don't see why hatred really matters. Treating humans like animals and beasts but not hating them doesn't make a difference. It's a distinction without a purpose.

14. droxford

droxford Member

The purpose for the distinction bring me back to my original point: Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he preached hatred against black people.

But it's moot anyway: there is no "Thomas Jefferson Day"

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think instead of asking why we dont have a malcom x day we should think about why we have mlk day.

i dont think malcom x had anything to do w/ why mlk is or isnt remembered. he was doing his thing (organizing bus boycotts, marches, sit-ins, voter registrations) on his own.

you might be able to say that w/out ghandi there might not be an mlk day, since mlk was so influenced by him.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Sorry man, but just because something is the norm during a certain time doesn't make it right, especially when it comes to dehumanizing people. I can't say "back then everyone in Germany was into that Holocust thing", right?

There really isn't any way to excuse folks who owned slaves, especially during a time where others were into making them free.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And you left out "blacks." In your schools, your neighborhoods, your jobs, your public pools....

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

In all seriousness, sign me the hell up for one. What an obvious but unintentionally brilliant observation. And maybe we could do away with this President's Day crap and celebrate both of these great men's birthdays, already.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

In 1774.

20. Steve_Francis_rules

I hear you. I definitely enjoy a day off in October as well.