1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Why don't we ever see......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 19, 2003.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agre 100%. I really don't believe it is Steve's fault alot of the times. I think he's just following the plays that Rudy sets out for him. Having mobes in there doesn't help out much either. I'm up for a trade.

2. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

Early offense probably won't work well for Rox. Yao is slow getting back on offense but he is good at getting offense rebound especially when he gets fronted. Early offense will take away one of our advantages.

This pass off backboard idea is really cool, don't know if it will work, but it will be fun to watch.

Shrimpie

3. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I agree with most of what DaDa mentioned except for the early offense part. Our team, without a doubt, works best with Yao touching the ball but early offense works to the advantage of the guards and definitely not the big man. Besides, it'll just give our the Hydes of our guards more excuses:

"Coach, the lane was wide open for a split second"

"The 28-footer was open"

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DD -
    One caveat to what your saying. IMO, taking a shot at the 20 second mark of the shot clock is not a good thing if you can get the same shot later in the clock while using the interim time to get a closer in (better %age) shot. (It goes without saying that driving into the paint and trying to score over 3 defenders would not be considered a "better" shot ;) ).

I don't think (or at least I hope) you are not advocating taking the shot at 20 seconds only because you are wide open without consideration for if you are having a good shooting night, is there a teammate in good rebounding position, how far out on the floor you are, is the shot within your range, etc.

What I hope you are advocating is a continous attack of the basket sequentially from a fast break to a secondary break to a set offense with movement while always looking for a wide open man or an obvious transition mismatch...

If this is not the case, then it appears you are giving a Rocket player carte blanche to shot an open 3 when Yao or Griffin or Taylor is in the paint and is covered by an opposing PG or SG.

I hope this isn't as clear as mud...it is clear in my minds's eye.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Your too smart for your own good...

If only Rudy and some of the Rox actually took some of our advice...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gater,

Exactly, I am talking about a secondary break, BEFORE the defense gets set...basically lets RUN !!

Yao does not have to be a part of it....he can rebound and get the outlet pass out to our guards in a hurry.

How many fastbreaks did Kareem finish for the Lakers in the 80s?

Now you see.....

DD

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the guards would leak after the opponent's shot, they would be open for the outlet pass. Remember? Thorpe used to hit Smith and Max with that all the time. This is a good play for Cat.
    He's fast and can finish a breakaway.

I don't know who's going to learn to throw the outlet. Ming can, Eddie ought to learn, don't know about Taylor, Tmo can, Posey can. Posey can throw the outlet and be the trailer.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DD -
    I thought we were on the same page but just checking.

Also, I can't speak about Kareem but my recollection is that Robert Parrish finished off alot of Celtic secondary breaks. Yao has a decent mid range shot. As part of a secondary break, it isn't required that he dunk, just that he's open or mismatched.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually Mobley did make that pass near the end of regulation against the Lakers. Everybody thought he was jacking up a shot. But he was passing to Yao off the rim--right on the money. Y'all remember Yao got fouled and sank two cool-headed free throws to send the game into OT.

That kind of pass is easy. They've been doing it all season. It's just Yao's fault for not being able to catch it. :D