1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why doesn't Yao wear knee pads?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, May 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

He should wear knee pad, keep the healthy is the most important thing right now.

2. bettycpp

bettycpp New Member

:D o my god,and so do i,xixi,but my English is poor~~ :(

3. RocketsFan41

RocketsFan41 Member

Anyone have Daryl Morey's email address, so that I can e-mail Daryl Morey to suggest it?

4. thehkmint

thehkmint Contributing Member

i think he wore that before but probably he didn't feel comfortable with them.

5. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/01/tempest_in_a_d_cup_yao_ming_de.html

I don't think Yao has officially answered this question yet, but I'm sure the Rockets have considered it. It most likely affects his agility or makes him uncomfortable, similar to the times when he couldn't perform because of an elbow sleeve.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If I recall correctly, it wasn't protective stockings that were banned, if such a thing exists. What was banned were leggings, like the compression shorts, but full length. Too much of a fashion statement or something, and not enough reasoning to keep them safe like arm sleeves.

I rewatched the first championships and the pads ewing and hakeem wore were huge, range of motion limiting type huge. I just figured they were phased out with the advances made in compression fabrics and knee sleeves.

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

Real men wear knee pads. Lakers wear Maxi Pads.

8. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

I suggest him wearing knee pads as well. I don't want him having another accident. Although Mutombo wore knee pads when he had his freak accidents, that accident was a 1 in a million chance. I want him to wear knee pads, too many scary possibilites.

9. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

with all the technology we have nowadays, can one of his shoe or athletic gear sponsors customize an extremely comfortable knee pad for Yao?

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think it's the comfort that Yao is worried about, it's how the knee pad limits movement.

For his size, with a knee pad, he won't be able to bend his knees very well, at least not with a lot of discomfort.

Hopefully his knee is alright. Though I can't see anything good out of this considering how his game will be affected either way in the coming games either with the knee pad or by the pain in the knee.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hakeem wore them...Yao needs to wear them too.

DD

12. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

I play both sports - volleyball and basketball. In my opinion, he could wear an ergonomically designed knee pad as a post player. It didn't restrict my movement alot on volleyball court and without it I am less likely will roll or dive on the floor to save a spiked ball. However, if you're a swingman and do alot of cutting to the basket and changing directions in motion, you might not like it. Maybe something like these can help Yao?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. esteban

esteban Member

I was going to post on this and you beat me to it, good job! Dream used to wear those red volleyball knee pads. I play both sports too so I know. If any of you know the pain that comes from banging knees together, it can make you cry uncle!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I like this look.

DD

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing not wearing knee pads is more of a mental thing. The neoprene sleeve like knee pads are very flexible and don't limit movement.

16. derrick

derrick Member

Some players cant play with extra gear. Its just a personal thing.

17. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

this one will fit personally and culturally :)

[​IMG]

18. slimichael85

slimichael85 Member

I believe rox staff had already suggested Yao using pads to protect his joints. Maybe Yao is not used to playing wearing pads.

19. Bob

Bob Member

The Lakers came out playing a very physical game Monday. The next game they will just hammer on Yao. Hard fouls before he gets the ball. He will need the equipment a goalie wears in hockey.

20. dijk

dijk Member

Come on!

That's for Japanese ;)