1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why doesn't Lawson ever shoot the ball?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bmd

bmd Member

There are many times where he's open to shoot and he just passes it up like he doesn't want to shoot.

He never tries to get to the rim... and even when he does, he's looking to pass all the way even if he has an easy lay-up.

He passes up easy shots to make difficult passes.

It's really weird. No energy and no aggressiveness. I don't get it at all.

Ish Smith looked better than Ty Lawson does.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This whole season doesn't make sense.

We need turnover half the roster, bring is some strong minded, high IQ players and leaders, get a new coach that will hold players accountable and most importantly a real working system.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And to relate that post with the thread, I think Lawson is lost because the team is lost. He came in playing shy because this is his first time being traded, he's on a contender and didnt want to screw things up or upset Harden and now with the team dazed and confused he has given up. IMO.

4. Downtown Sniper

There's one word in that post which is very, very wrong.

It begins with C and has 9 letters.

5. kjayp

kjayp Member

lawson played the nuggets game like a chicken ****... just would not shoot... wide open on the perimeter and would not shoot... 2 feet from the bucket and would not shoot... dude just has no confidence and is far to gun shy to even have on the court...

6. BackdoorHarden

he can't shoot

7. No Chill Rocket

He needs a shot before he shoots that's why

8. chandlerbang21

Lawson has never been a good shooter so we can't expect him to be confident while in Houston

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

We wrecked his confidence.

10. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Who cares the seasons already over for us. We just need to keep him this offseason because we're pulling a GSW

11. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

He's never been an elite shooter, but being a 37% three point shooter over his career suggests he has been disgraceful for us this season.

12. underrated015

underrated015 Member

He's playing like he's high. Dude used to get and1s on us.

13. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Ty Lawson season career high 3 pt% = .410

Best 3 pt shooting percentage of any perimeter Rocket this season = .379 (Thornton)

Ty Lawson career average before joining Rockets = .368

Ty Lawson this season = .300

14. tdo

tdo Member

If he isn't going to take open shots, he doesn't need to be on the floor. It's as simple as that. We absolutely need what he can bring, but right now the ball is working it's way back to him, and he just has that deer in headlights look. I never could have imagined him being this bad.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Alas, I don't think the new coach is in the cards. I was talking to another poster on the phone not long ago and he was adamant about us getting so-and-so for a coach; but (many of) the coaches we'd look at are still getting paid by other teams to not coach (Thibs, Brooks [unfortunately]), and I don't think guys want to look like they were waiting in the wings to replace Kevin McHale.

Nor will a name coach want to step into the Houston situation until there's some real sign of hope. If the team's muddling along, why bother now? Unless the Rockets make a great trade or something that shuffles the balance.

That part you write about bringing in high-IQ leader types? "Oxalá," is the word in Portuguese (oh-sha-LAH), borrowed from the Arabic "insh'Allah", "God willing." Or an Italian word I like: "Magari" (I wish; if only).

Or in plain old English, "Morey, get aggressive and/or intelligent players, NOW!"

Morey talked some good s*** about "money isn't an issue for Mr. Alexander" as far as coaching (i.e., we know McHale is owed three years and 12 million dollars but Mr. Alexander will spend whatever is necessary to ensure a championship in Houston and the survival of the human race), but I was cutting off my enthusiastic friend on our phone call with, "They aren't gonna go pay some other dude 5 million dollars per year, especially in a season when Golden State is mopping up the floor with everyone anyway."

Now, if I see that they went out and got another coach once I'm done typing this, I will say I was gladly wrong. I just don't see it.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Because he's a terrible shooter this year.

34% overall. 19% from 3-10ft (before this year, was 39%); 36% from 10-16 (before this year, was 44%); 20% from 16 <3 (before this year, was 41%); and 30% from three (before this year, was 37%).

I can't blame coaching or scheme for such a massive dropoff. He's getting decent shots and just missing them, so then he stops taking shots altogether.

If someone could get his expected FG% from previous years and compare to his expected FG% from this year, that would be very interesting.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

I think it's just a perfect storm. New team, plus unexpected and inexplicable overall team struggles. Tough to come in and incorporate your game into a team that's out of sorts.

He should really just go out and play his game then let the chips fall where they may.

18. bmd

bmd Member

It's not even just jump shooting. He doesn't take the ball inside much and when he does, often times the defender doesn't even contest his shot when he jumps... so he has an easy semi-uncontested lay-up or floater and he instead decides to pass the ball out.

And apart from just shooting, he does not look aggressive out there at all. It's like he's going half speed. Like he isn't even trying.

It's very strange.