1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does the Rockets media & blogs need to baby Alperen Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Feb 29, 2024.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The Rockets have hit a wall lately collectively. The whole team has been playing poorly. But I've noticed in every podcast Locked On, Rockets Chop Shop, Rockets Launch Pad etc...These guys are overly critical of everyone else, but make flat out excuses for Sengun's poor play. Mainly blaming his teammates & coaching. Jackson Gaitlin & Frank (Rockets Chop Shop) are notorious for babying Sengun after every poor game

First off, if Sengun's our so called best player then how can you ignore his deficiencies and not hold him accountable? Defense, turnovers and securing rebounds are things he hasn't excelled at. He's also not improved his shot this season. We just witnessed Jake Valanciunas & Bol Bol look like HOF bigmen against Sengun. At what point does he get the same criticism everybody else receives? Go Rockets!!

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

I.D.I.O.T.

groovemachine, Salvy and Dankstronaut like this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ive been a Rocket's fan and a member of Clutchfans since forever and one thing rings true....there is always a scapegoat.

Last yr it was KPJ, this yr Jalen Green, next yr it could be Alpi

roslolian likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

KPJ, the highly disruptive player who got his ass kicked out of the NBA?
    Jalen Green, shooting 40.6% from the floor and 30.8% from 3, and still playing defense as if he just arrived in the NBA from the YMCA?

Those scapegoats?

We're watching the same games, yeah?

"How many fingers am I holding up?"
    "Three!"
    "You sure you can see all right?"

[​IMG]

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The usual suspects always starting pointless threads to show how dumb they are

YaoMac09, BamBam, cml750 and 6 others like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

you gotta stop listening to podcasts

YaoMac09, topfive, clos4life and 7 others like this.
  7. buzz1701

buzz1701 Member

Sengun's struggles are real. Some are the fault of teammates and system but Alpren has a way to go before he reaches the status some media folks have put him already.

clos4life likes this.
  8. kpdark

kpdark Member

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think it’s possible the high usage this season finally caught up to him.

I don’t think this will be a problem going forward. I expect Alpi to go to another level next season in productivity, endurance and consistency. He does need to shoot jumpers better but that isn’t his biggest problem IMO.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Narrative thread is narrative

11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Mark my words. Before Sengun becomes ever accountable, the narrative will be he wasn't used properly by Ime. His fans will not allow any ounce of accountability come his way

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

How is Sengun's defense?

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, Alperen Sengun is struggling with triple teams at 21 years old, on the worst shooting team in the NBA that is playing 5 kindergartners.

Color me unimpressed with most of the Alperen criticism...

He is an elite 21-year-old. Jabari Smith is an ELITE 20-year-old. Patience.

14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lololololol

You realize you guys whined ALL last season about Sengun not getting enough touches, now that he's getting touches it's "his high usage making him tired". It never stops!!

RichieBanks223 likes this.
  15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No. If you've anointed him the best player then he should be able to adjust. Jalen could also use more shooters for spacing. Why does Sengun only get these excuses

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I've seen some images of Sengun banged up after coming out of games. IMO he isn't babied enough. If he is playing injured on a lost season like this Stone and Ime need to get fired.

https://images.app.goo.gl/N6VvbBciUcn4NZ5dA

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sir, I'm not a Sengunatic. In fact, I just put the toxic ones on FULL BLAST two days ago in another thread. Lumping me in with "you guys whined..." is pretty dumb. 95% of Sengunatics don't like me.

I expected Alpi to hit a wall (or at least a big speed bump) at some point this season. It's good for him to be pushed to his mental and physical limits this year because he has to grind through it find his sharp edge again.

Anybody that denies Alpi has had a breakthrough season is just a hater. He's far from perfect but I believe he's also far from a finished product. Next year will prove this.

These last 24 games, I want him to bring a "take no prisoners" approach to each and every game and start shooting wide open mid-range shots instead of being so unselfish. He must make the defense account for him each and every possession. He must demand the ball and either (1) destroy his lone defender or (2) set up wide open jumpers or hit cutters when defenses clamp down.

I stopped viewing the Alpi-lover threads because the fawning is so over-the-top it makes me sick to my stomach. This thread offers the opportunity to post about him without being a part of the toxic echo chamber of lunacy.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

reported.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Only Baby here is Baby Joker.......and that should be Reported to the NBA.

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It's not surprising that Rockets media baby him because he's our most promising player.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Stone for fumbling the #2 pick so hard so all our hope right now relies on Sengun to succeed.