1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does the home crowd seem so flat this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 3, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There are no excuses. Just shitty fans.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We need a policy that tickets can only be sold to Clutchfans. :cool:

LUK3 likes this.
  3. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Horrible fan performance last night, I didn't make it to this game, but from watching it I can say that I've watched highschool football games that were more intense. I made it to game Game 1, and as always you feel like you're disturbing people when rooting for your team while sitting in the lower bowl. It's sad when you want to sit up top, just to be around people that actual care about the game as much as you do.

Drogba, joshuaao and mario_v like this.
  4. Zergling

Zergling Member

Could be, and it should be noted that Astros playoff crowds have always been fantastic.

adw likes this.
  5. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Preach.

Richie_Rich, mario_v and s3ts like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Most embarrassing playoff crowd I have ever seen in this city. I blame the crowd for the low energy of the players. I hope someone asks the players how they felt about the empty building to start the game. PJ already said they came out flat with no energy .. hmmm I wonder why.

If you had a lower bowl ticket and aren't hoarse today shame on you. Red Rowdies should roam the club section prior to games yelling at all the rich pricks who are only there to network.

7. gotsis

gotsis Member

Went yesterday, first time experience (I'm foreign).

Had a good time simply due to the novelty and chance to watch the team I cheer for.

Having said that, I sat at the lower bowls and at times was the only one actually cheering or shouting. Two people to my left spent the entire game on their phone and were only excited at halftime/timeout presentations haha.

To be fair, the red rowdies sang throughout the whole game, need more of those.

And yeah, the front rows were mostly filled with corporate dressed folks and 5 min to start the game, the arena was empty.

buffalobills!!! and Drogba like this.
  8. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

not gonna say our fans are garabage, but our home court is hot garbage. scared of whats gonna happen in utah next 2 games

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but then the stands would be half-filled with whiners and crybabies :D

YOLO likes this.
  10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Imo, I think the casual fans turned on the team after the 2015-16 season. Last year they had a good bounce back year but a horrible end in the playoffs. Getting CP3 and having the 1 seed for the first time ever would have energized most fan bases but I think nothing short of a well fought WCF appearance against the Warriors will get this city fully behind the Rox. It doesn't help when the coach during the playoffs is repeatedly throwing the team under the bus for not having enough juice and effort. Efforts like last night are not going to further endear the casual fan to this team. Not making excuses but offering possible explanation to the poor backing of the team.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

but then nobody would ever accuse the Toyota Center of being a quiet library! ;)

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can you just imagine half of the Toyota Center erupting in chants of "IT'S NOT FAIR!"

it isn't fair gif.gif

ryano2009 and J.R. like this.
  13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

i hate golden state but i have to disagree here, you should see their crown during the baron davis, J-rich- monta ellis..... they were loud as hell.

Richie_Rich and Drogba like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am following a bunch of Utah beat writers on twitter and they were all pretty surprised at the lack of excitement and bodies in seats from the get go. They are used to their rowdy fans "from the jump" in Utah. I bet they didn't make the same point in their OKC games.

Also worth noting from the Utah beat writers....they commented on the Rockets "dance cam" is a bit more risque than what they see in Utah which I thought was LOL!!!!!

buffalobills!!! and Drogba like this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Their arena is old and crappy and smaller.
    I've been there, they have terrible food at Les Alexander prices.
    So staying at your seat and watching the game is the best thing you can do.

Also, Les took the championship trophies with him to Florida. That's like taking away the Sun away from Superman.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is not that (that is a given). It is more, get your ass in the seats 10 minutes from tip and get loud. Just watch other crowds like in GSW, OKC, Utah etc.

Richie_Rich, Deckard and Drogba like this.
  17. Mr. Space City

it's not even about being loud.

all those empty seats on the baseline seats at tipoff is just a bad look.

buffalobills!!! and adw like this.
  18. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Would love to see some players call the crowd out...

19. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

It sucks, plain and simple. It is pretty embarrassing that literally every game on national TV it is pretty obvious how terrible the fans are. I do think they are some things that can be done to at least help, but a lot of it does just fall on the fans being bad in general.

The most obvious thing is lowering ticket prices, which won't happen anytime soon.
    It is also ridiculous that the club section takes up the entire length on the court. That is so many overpriced seats that better fans could be in. Changing that would take a lot of construction, so maybe they could just make like the first half of rows part of the club rather than the entire section.
    Also, they need to do better and more frequent promotions. The happy hour stuff is nice, but ending it at tip-off? What's the point of not keeping it going the whole game or at least the whole first half?

Lastly, the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that we can no longer bid on flash seats. That makes absolutely no sense, and just makes for more empty seats when you need to wait on somebody to decide to lower their asking price on their own, which they often just never do and then the tickets go unsold.

Drogba likes this.
  20. mario_v

mario_v Member

Players, Morey, fertitta, someone has to call out the fans.

Didn’t the Texans used to have same problem years ago, where most fans wouldn’t get to their seats on time cause they were outside tailgating, so they sound an alarm 15 minutes before the game to let fans know to get to their seats.

RealRocFan47 likes this.