1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does no one care about the Miami Heat? Huge draft pick variance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 5, 2021.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No worries. Miami will miss the playoffs because they lost Kelly Olynyk. The whole plot of getting Oladipo was to fleece Miami out of the playoffs.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

We picking in the top 3... it happening!

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why does no one care about Portland tanking the Playin Tourney? Huge draft pick variance.

all it takes is to tank just *two* games, and POR gets to keep their lottery-protected pick, rather than give it to us.

DonKnock, Richie_Rich, Nook and 2 others like this.
  4. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Love it !

Easy likes this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Weren't the Miami Heat the losing opponents of the self claimed GOAT's self claimed most difficult championship ever, though? How the mighty have fallen!

NateNate and napalm06 like this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Do you also have this week's TX lottery numbers? I'm jonesin' for some dough, brah.

jayfree likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Jeez give Lebron a break. It can't be easy to get a tattoo of Chosen One on your own back. Such humility has to be hard to live with.

8. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

This season has already been a failure of epic proportions. Thanks for letting us know it can always get worse!:(

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Worrying about anything we can't control is pointless, it is interesting, but this season is all about the top 3, if we don't get a top 3 pick the tanking was a complete and utter bust.

DD

10. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I will still be happy with the 4th pick.

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. mightybosstone

Those two remaining Boston/Miami matchups are going to be huge for seeding, but also could potentially be big for the Rockets' draft picks should the lottery be a disaster. Right now Boston owns the tiebreaker, and they have identical records. If the Heat take both of those games, though, I have to think they jump the Celtics and avoid the play-in games. As others have mentioned, the next few weeks for Portland could be big as well.

I know it's pointless to care about things the fans and team have no control over, but I've been watching those standings like a hawk the last two months. Hopefully Houston ends up with a top 4 pick and it's all a moot point, but if they don't, I'd much rather have Miami picking in that 14-15 range and Portland picking around 18-20 than Miami picking around 18-20 and Portland keeping its pick. The latter would be a total disaster.

COMPAQ CENTER likes this.
  12. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Completely agree. I’ve been watching the standings for Miami, Portland and Milwaukee with some interest. Nothing we can control but hoping for the best situation for the Rockets.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We didn't tank on purpose. We just sucked

thekad and YOLO like this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Whew....I just ran it and Houston got the 3rd pick the first time and the first pick the second time.

Thank goodness.

DallasThomas and don grahamleone like this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

To OP, to be fair @BimaThug has been talking about this (and other scenarios on Twitter for awhile now).

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Don't worry guys, Larry Birds son Tyler Herro is distracted with his gf, he won't show up this month.

[​IMG]

DavidJuan likes this.
  17. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I'd want Miami to lose even if it meant nothing as far as our draft is concerned.

DallasThomas likes this.
  18. thekad

thekad Member

Unlikely with people fighting for their jobs. They may just suck accidentally and keep the pick.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Except getting a top 3 pick is not something we can control either...

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, not sure if I agree with the whole massive failure thing if we don't win the lottery. I'll definitely be disappointed. However, we still would have maximized our chances the best we could, but lost the lottery just like the coin flip said we might. It means we may have to wait one whole season before getting a top lottery pick. In all likelihood, next year we'll probably be in the same boat as far as record, but we will control the pick.

I'm not sure some of you guys our built for a rebuild if it's already been a "massive failure" after not even one full season of this. I have some issue with some of the moves, particularly with regards to Oladipo, but overall I think the trades for future draft capital probably made the most sense given what was available. Anything more than that and we're in "old man yelling at cloud" territory.