1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does Gerald Green get a free pass 24/7 while Melo gets banished?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Nov 23, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Alls I know is the Rockets have had a great record since picking up Green last season The same cannot be said when Melo was on the roster.

SF3isBack!! and Patience like this.
  2. jcf

jcf Member

Do we actually know what went down at the end? I may have missed it, but I'm still in the dark as to whether Melo decided it wasn't working (as in didn't want to be behind Clark) or the team did. Do we have the actual facts or more assumption or surmise?

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm a die-hard Gerald fan, but I get the point and agree it's strange we cut bait so early. Melo wasn't playing great but he had a few pretty impressive games, and I didn't think the signing looked like failure apart from the team struggling. Melo not working out is disappointing to me - I never liked him personally but I'm a big fan of his overall offensive game, and I thought he would bring something the Rockets needed - creating. It just seemed like last year in the playoffs, and in the years before that, all of our role-players regress a lot. Nobody can hit an open shot much less create one for themselves with defenses clamping down, and it would help if we had just one other guy we could count on to go get a bucket other than Harden/CP3.

However, the fact that it happened so abruptly leads me to believe we're not being told the whole story otherwise it just doesn't make sense to me. It's not like the front office felt the need to immediately get Ryan Anderson out of the locker-room when it became clear he wasn't the player we envisioned when signing. Similarly, they wouldn't cut a player being payed like Gerald Green/Melo unless it was clear team chemistry would improve without their presence.

I sympathize with the sentiment though. I was also a big fan of Kevin Martin and thought he got a bad rap when he was here. Not every player acts like JJ Watt

4. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Melo doesn't have to cry and pout. His management has always done most of the talking for him. Havent you seen Jerry McGuire? I'm sure his team had a lot to say.

5. hakeemthagreat

Newsflash, NEW PLAYERS TEND TO STRUGGLE AFTER ONLY 10 GAMES. ITS NOT CARMELO'S FAULT

You're definitely a idiot, end of story

roslolian likes this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

What specifically did his management cry about? Post any evidence you have

roslolian likes this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

False. Reports were that he went in to a meeting w/ Morey & was blindsided by getting cut. CP & Harden were surprised by this move

roslolian likes this.
  8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Calm down, Carmelo. You’ll find a new team eventually. Maybe China?

Reeko and Easy like this.
  9. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

A sudden cry from MOF o_O;)

Patience likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

noooo! my childhood... all lies!

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

prove it.

Or don't.

Who the f cares? Besides you and a handful of melo knobslobbers no one actually cares and you want to know why? Bc we're rockets fans, not Carmelo Anthony fans, and the rockets have been a markedly better team without him. Believe what you want but the ultimate test is the product on the court. If that bothers you feel free to follow melo on his new team. Oh wait.

Patience and Tankeio like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Everybody loves GG... I've been a huge fan since his return... folks have realistic expectations of him - he's a vet min player who you hope can contribute every so often.. if he does - great, if he doesn't - oh well he's a vet min player, what do you expect...?

Melo came to town with a lot of folks hatin on him before he even put a jersey on - and anything short of an all-star performance drew the the ire of these 'fans'...

Given his diminishing skills, Melo was in a no-win situation... folks expected far more than what would typically be expected of a vet min player...

Also people took any of the media bs - and held that against Melo...

I think it's sad that the dude was kicked to the curb after 10 games - when overall he probably played better than half the roster over that time - when you factor in the highs and lows..

There's obviously more to the story than we're being told...

Whether it was a requirement for Bzdelik's return - who knows... but Melo supposedly got him fired in the past - so it wouldnt surprise me...

It'll all probably go down like Harden's game 6 against the Spurs... we'll never get the whole story and mgmt just hopes it fades away...

13. kjayp

I never gaf about Melo b4 he became a Rocket... and prob wont gaf wherever he goes next... but a lot of Rockets fans treated him like crap when he was a Rocket... As a fan of the team, people should be pulling for everybody wearing a Rockets jersey - not picking and choosing...

There's a percentage of 'fans' that only support the stars - and call the rest scrubs... which imo thats not being a team fan...

but hey, wouldnt be Clutchfans without a scapegoat...

HP3 likes this.
  14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I'm sure that's true but I certainly wasn't one of them... I was genuinely excited for his arrival, particularly bc I thought w CP3 here and the reputation he was bringing into town that he'd be extra motivated to do whatever it took to contribute. Alas what he could contribute simply didn't jive w what we needed to win basketball games and I, for one, am prouder of this team for knowing when to cut bait rather than trying to appease what amounted to the 5th or 6th best player on the team simply bc f his star power. And clearly the other players on the team felt similarly given their play since his departure.

I said it earlier but I don't harbor any ill will towards him. At the same time I don't particularly care to defend him while some on here bash the current team bc melo is their favorite player. We're winning, he's gone, his fan boys can follow him to LA or wherever he ends up.

kjayp likes this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

He’s from Houston

16. hakeemthagreat

Melo knobbslobber? Really? Because we won't allow you to push your fairytales about Melo being a problem here? Lol. You guys literally have nothing to back up him not accepting his role. You're basically going off his tenure in New York & coming to a false conclusion on what happened here. Stupidity

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Because Green was brought in and signed on as a 9th or so man. He has no problem coming off the bench as that or not even getting any minutes. He wont cause any problems.

We are just playing him as 6th or 7th man currently because our bench sucks.

Melo, on the other hand, is a walking drama. He is not willing to accept his limited role.

This is in addition to the fact that we have won with Green while we were losing miserably with Melo.

And then the defense.... Melo and defense lol... Even in the few games he played for us, team were literally isolating him on defense.

Enough with the Melo thing. He was a disaster.

#97 Zboy, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Exactly, It is absolutely idiotic to compare the two player and their roles/situations.

Melo could have been Gerald Green if his selfish play and ego would allow it. Unfortunately it never will. Which is why he refused to accept limited minutes role.

Good riddance.

#98 Zboy, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  19. kjayp

Thats a reasonable take for the most part... I wish we'd had tried a little harder and given it a bit more time to try to make it work... imo 10 games isnt really enough time to acclimate somebody... I think DM is gonna have to pull another rabbit out of his hat if we're truly gonna contend this year... I'd hoped Melo (with a little more time) could have been been a contributor - but i guess we'll have to look elsewhere...

and not to be argumentative, but I'd question the "And clearly the other players on the team felt similarly given their play since his departure." ...since I'd say Harden and CP3 were struggling - and they were the guys who were pulling to get him here... while Ego is still MIA... lol

20. Ray Parker

Ray Parker Member

I think we should bring Melo back