1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does everyone believe Ron Artest has good defense (now)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StonesRunIt, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I have to be up early, I'm heading to bed. I'll take your silence on the Stockton query as capitulation.

Learn some logic. It's good for you. Seriously. Then come back.

2. herro

herro Member

your logic has been grossly flawed the entire time

so horrible in fact that you have convinced yourself that pulling something completely out of your ass on an internet forum means it's a substantive, factual argument

3. herro

herro Member

this guy is trying to say that John Stockton wasn't an elite defender at the PG position

John Stockton has over 750 more steals than the next closest player on the ALL TIME list. You're telling me there were a whole lot more PG's in the NBA that deserved 2nd team all defense ALL THOSE YEARS Stockton was getting it? No way. The coaches got it right...you're just salty.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Artest is still a very good defender...and the sad part is now that he is in LA, the refs will really let him get away with everything under the sun (See Kobe or Fisher).

5. rockets_fanatic

The Lakers signed Artest for one reason. So someone other than Bryant would guard Vince Carter and Lebron.

6. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I can't think of any player, since the league ruled hand checking, that the refs allowed to be as rough on wing players as they were with Artest.

I can't remember any player that could that could play better defense on his man after being beaten off the dribble.

Artest was the ying to Battier's yang. He took offensive players out of their game by being a physical pest whereas Battier takes offensive players out of their comfort zone through positioning. I thought it was a perfect contrast in style.

I'll miss his defensive presence. I won't miss the many moments when he thought he could dominate offensively the way that a Kobe or Lebron can.

7. xishi

xishi Member

he's just a tough bulldog that no one on the opposing team would mess with.

yes, ill miss his presence.

8. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Trash a player that appears to be leaving our team when we all loved him while he was here. Wow, who would've thunk it?

We're really coming off as bitter fans with threads like these.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

They see a player that could possibly fill in for Ariza and Odom if they lose both players as cap casualties.

10. justafriend

justafriend Member

Seriously, this crap is embarrassing. People's opinions on players are decided on what they do relative to the Rockets. These stats don't tell the whole story, they're affected by team defense and pace, but since the OP's eyes have failed him:

http://www.82games.com/0809/ROLRTG3.HTM

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Number 3 on that list kind of makes me question its validity.

12. thacabbage

Absolutely hilarious.

I can't decide what is more laughable - the fact that you somehow cite steals statistics as indicative of defensive ability or the fact that you just said John Stockton was an elite defender. I realize that since you probably just recently reached puberty, you never had the benefit of watching Stockton play. That's fine, just be aware that you are also committing yourself to the case that Allen Iverson is also an elite defender (due to his gaudy steals statistics) while Mario Elie was below par (due to his lack thereof).

you've proven that you are completely clueless. I'm not wasting my time on this anymore. i have no problem with a claim touting artest's defensive ability - but at least make some attempt at substantiating your opinion intelligently because you are just embarrassing yourself right now.

just stick to the "ROFL gtfo" idiocy next time - its actually a lot less damning of your lack of intelligence than your actual attempts at logical argumentation.

#112 thacabbage, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  13. NMS Rocket

NMS Rocket Member

The devensive play that stands out in my mind by Ron was against Tayshaun Prince in the closing minutes of a home game I believe.

I don't know if the Ariza deal in a "done deal" but I don't think the Rockets have enough yet. There are too many unkowns regarding big time players.

14. justafriend

justafriend Member

There's a few names that make you say WTF like Wally or House, but they all are bench players on great defensive team and rarely guard good scorers.

15. Yale_RocketsFan

@thecabbage - I normally don't post, but I'm curious; what's your evidence for John Stockton's defensive liabilities?

From my search on the internet, I can't find one substantiation of that claim. I saw Stockton live several times and on TV a bunch more and I feel your claim of Stockton's 'horrific' defense seems overblown.

Just curious.

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

You want proof? **** John Stockton. There's your proof.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Artest is still a very good defender, but Battier is far better.

18. thacabbage

Perceptually, from my own observations, I never found him to be a good defender. Most commentators would also agree that his inclusion on the annual all-defensive teams was some of the most damning evidence towards its flawed methodology.

however, if you personally didn't observationally find stockton to be a poor defender, just as many in this thread intelligently felt regarding artest, that is completely fine. i don't agree with the observation, but it's completely rational and consistent. the greater point here is that steals and blocks statistics aren't sufficiently indicative of defensive ability - such a claim, as was posited, is laughable. most steals are garnered from gambles in the passing lanes and are rarely straight on in man-to-man defense. now steals and blocks statistics certainly don't preclude a player from being a great individual defender (hakeem, payton, pippen, etc.), but they aren't sufficiently probative of such prowess.

19. landryfans

landryfans Member

Fakers are not stupid, they sign artest for a reason, he is overall better than Ariza for a champion team, right now.

20. adoo

adoo Member

don't think so.

Artest > Arizza > Battier​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.