1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does everyone believe Ron Artest has good defense (now)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StonesRunIt, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

You guys can't say said player made the all defensive team based on reputation because you simply can't read the coaches minds at that time. Anyways, how are you going to prove that?

I don't think anyone here is a telepath. People are pulling arguments out of their asses on this.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the same reason why some news articles still refer to tracy as a superstar. reputation.

the only good thing artest brings to teams nowadays is the aura of toughness. that's it. offense, he doesn't give you much. he's just as inefficient as a one-legged tracy (his PER was LOWER lol). his defense really struggled in the playoffs as battier completely outshone him defensively.

3. t_mac1

kobe made all-nba 1st team D for years now and he hasn't deserved it for the last 4-5 years. it is reputation.

4. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Where's your proof?

5. t_mac1

by watching the damn games. kobe rarely guards the best player the whole game while shane busts his butt and slows down the other team's best perimeter scorer every game. and yet shane never beats kobe for first team.

yea, that's proof enough bruh.

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The thing with Ron was that he can handle smaller PFs and larger wing men, but against speedy or skilled guys like Bradon Roy or Kobe, he will struggle. Against a Lebron James sized player, he should be able to lock them down pretty well but with the swifter guys a Shane Battier, who is skilled and athletic enough to be of annoyance without getting many foul calls, is the better option unless you want to "send a message".

Either way, is Artest better then Battier in defense, not really from a skill point no, but he isn't that far behind probably either when he actually tries. Although from what I have seen this year, Ron can either have good offense for most of the game or good defense but it is rare to get both in the same game.

7. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Seriously? THAT's your proof?? I'm sorry if I don't take your opinion about watching some "damn games" as proof.

This is what I'm talking about, these aren't arguments, they're opinions. You can't have a discussion without any sort of validation to your claims.

And btw, Shane is a small forward, not a shooting guard, so he can't beat Kobe for first team because he doesn't play the same position.

8. t_mac1

then you yourself watch the games then. see who kobe guards and how he guards. joe johnson is a better defender than kobe bryant. and he can't even sniff those teams.

9. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

I do watch the games, and my opinions have no more validation than yours.

10. t_mac1

when's the last time kobe slow down ANYBODY? when's the last time kobe put on a great defensive performance? when's the last time kobe guarded a team's best player for more than 4-5 minutes at a time? that hasn't happened for the last 3-4 years.

everyone knows these things are based on reputation. chris paul making the all-nba 1st team ahead of rondo should let you know that. chris paul is like steve nash on D except he steals more.

11. herro

herro Member

nothing you have said has any legitmate substantive backing whatsoever

regardless of how old I was while watching Stockton I still watched Stockton, and it doesn't matter WHEN his last selection was because the point that I'm driving home is that he WAS SELECTED BY A PANEL OF COACHES

and you are attempting to discredit his excellent play by pulling something completely out of your ass

you have lost so horribly bad it's disgusting at this point

you have no points apart from

"hey i watched games Ron isn't good at D anymore"

"hey you can't say that all defensive selections mean anything because John Stockton has 5 and i've decided he isn't good at defense either"

YOU LOSE.

YOU.....

Lost.

12. herro

herro Member

you fault others for lack of logical competency while providing absolutely NO BASIS FOR ARGUMENT

all you have said is

"You guys must not have watched any games because Ron isn't good at D anymore"

"You guys shouldn't read into his all defense selections because Stockton has 5 and I've decided he wasn't good at defense either"

You are beyond r****ded, and it's only worsened by the fact that you actually think you are saying something. ROFL This is unbelievable.

13. herro

herro Member

You're simply wrong. The massive amounts of recognition from actual coaches and managers AMOUNT TO SOMETHING.

Your arguments AMOUNT to NOTHING.

14. herro

herro Member

just a classic example of a clown with a keyboard projecting his uninformed analysis of a heralded defender upon the rest of Rocket nation

what a disgusting set of responses you've attempted to provide to diminish Artest's excellent defense as judged by actual NBA professionals

NBA coaches > This cabbage moron.

You lost hard.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Rockets fan used to love Artest for his fierceness that brought out the toughness in his teammates. Now that he's gone, Ron is just a chucker who dribbled out the clock way too much.

The media used to call Ron crazy and a locker room cancer. Now that he went to the Lakers, they say the Lakers are a lock for the repeat, potentially a dynasty.

Figures....

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think Ron will destroy LA's chemistry too....and they will not repeat.....

DD

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

no need to portray it on the extreme ends.

we loved artest's fierceness and toughness, and still would welcome it on this team. However, as a #1 option without Yao and/or TMac to reign him in, he would be too much of the dribbler/chucker you mention.

His defense has slipped since his Indiana days, and bringing him into LA to be the defensive stopper on the court is different from returning to Houston where Battier can take the quicker guys and Artest can play the stronger Lebrons. (and where he has Battier, Chuck, and others with very good weakside help defense that can make up for some gambling...whereas the Lakers are a very undisciplined defensive team)

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Everyone in ESPN would believe Ron has good defense, the same is true for those fans do not follow him closely. After one season, I say he is overrated in both ends at this point. Lakers fans would start to dislike Artest as soon as they lose a few games due to Ron's bad plays. The rockets made a right move to get a young player.

19. Asian Sensation

Well said. Thank you.

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

this is your only warning.

Cease with the name calling when discussing in here or be banned.

you will notice the amoun tof rep points thacabbage has? He earned them for a reason....he is one of the best we have here....and as much fun as it has been to watch him work you over.

it is YOU who lost hard and IM gonna take pity on you and close this....the discussion is over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.