1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does everyone believe Ron Artest has good defense (now)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StonesRunIt, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

Ever since this "trade" took place, all i keep hearing about is how Artest's defense is a dynamic thats being brought to the table that Ariza just couldnt match. I have no idea how anyone who watched last season could come to that conclusion.

Artest is a slow, lumbering 260lb tank that gambles defensively. He reaches rather then move his feet, he gets beat crowding players that are quicker than him and has the agility of a deck of cards.

This is not the 26yr old, 240 lb Artest of old that could hound players with his aggressive style because of his long arms, strength and moderate speed. In fact i can only remember one stand out defensive play from Artest all year and that was his last second block on Radmanovic against the Bobcats (which was sweet).

Welcolme to Houston Trevor.

2 people like this.
  2. Shaud

Shaud Member

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

He's a brand name. Artest is average at best defensively, at this stage, and even that is being kind. Anyone that watched more than 2 games last year can agree on that.

2 people like this.
  4. jogo

jogo Member

Well he did defend Lebron pretty well...

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wouldn't call him a defensive stopper anymore, but he's still an above average wing defender. He's physical and he has long arms and quick hands. Larger guards or small forwards can't post him up. But he doesn't stay in front of guys very well, and he'll often lose his man off the ball.

6. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

yea it has to be reputation, it sure as hell aint output. And once Ron begins playing 'Ron ball' over the triangle, the reactions will be hilarious.

7. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

yeah. The lakers are in for a rude awakening. Bad shots, not playing withing the defense. Hell be gone by trade deadline.

8. logicx

logicx Member

Reputation, of course, and he doesn't mind being physical. Even to the point of picking up multiple, stupid fouls.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Exactly, he's not as good as the media thinks he is on defense.

But he sure as hell isn't as bad as this board makes him out to be on defense.

10. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

Our Zone defended LeBron well IMO....

11. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Ron Artest is a good defender he's just not in our future plans.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in L.A.

I'm fine with losing him for Ariza.

12. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

In a fantasy world they would trade him back to us for an expiring, Mac and Yao are healthy in February and we roll to the championship.

Brooks
    Mac
    Ariza
    Scola
    Yao

Lowry
    Barry
    Battier
    Artest (at the 4)
    Landry

13. FFz

FFz Member

he got a lot of steals with his strong hands and blocked some clutch shots at the end of games. If there's a loose ball and ron artest is near it... you can bet if he gets his hands on it that ball is his. I hate all lakers, but Ron is still a pretty good player. He just cant stay infront of people to save his life and he gambles wayyy too much.

14. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

Its hard to givce credit to a defender who cant consistently stay in front of their man.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

He used to be very very good defensively. Now he has decreased imo.

16. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I wonder this same question. It was clearly obvious in the playoffs that Battier was the better defender of the two. From what I saw in the playoffs Ariza was basically LA's stopper. Not to mention that it seemed when Ron was relied upon to be the defensive stopper his numbers fell. If his three point shot was not falling he wasn't contributing much on the offensive end. In fact, he hurt us if his shot was off becuase at that point he was forcing up ill advised shot attempts. Then there is his attitude which is always in question. So much so that we wondered if he would make it past the trading deadline last year. Ariza is better at cutting and slashing. We discuss the fact that Ariza was the beneficairy of being a spot up shooter from Kobe but I don't see many people pointing out that Ron was basically a spot up shooter on this team. I am all for the Ariza over Ron. Over the course of the contract this "should" be a much better move for the Rockets.

17. mbiker

mbiker Member

Average? He made the NBA All-Defensive second team last year. Defense isn't just about steals and blocked shots. Ron is great at getting into defensive position and and he is one of the best at holding that position. While he may not be as good as he once was, he still is one of the top defensive players.

18. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

yea, Shane out shined Artest in every way. Kobe routinely walked around Artest for either points in the paint or to draw fouls on our bigs.

19. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

Making the all-defensive team does not mean you are an elite defender, he seems to have gotten there off reputation alone. Kobe is an outstanding defender when he chooses to be, but when he made all defensive team last, he didnt deserve it, he got it off rep.

And Ron is horrible at getting position on his man and when he does, he dont keep it. Plays the pick and roll horribly, and is a one on one liability.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

My suspicion is that most fans struggle to evaluate defense because there are few quantifiable numbers, so reputation plays a big role. Does Ron get some steals and/or blocks because of the aggressive style he tries to play? Sure, but a majority of the time, he whiffs and the player goes right by him. But because there's no quantifiable data for that, fans really hone in on the rare times he does get the steal/block and blow it out of proportion.

His man to man defense is pitiful, and it's only going to get worse with a chronic ankle injury and each passing year. There's a reason Morey, who scouts players more in-depth than any of us could ever dream, is in love with Shane and was only willing to make Artest a one-year offer (courtesy, more than anything else). He doesn't fit offensively, and his defense doesn't help, either.

Shaud, you're right that Ron's defense isn't what the consensus opinion of this board is. It's worse. The idea that Artest is a defensive upgrade on Ariza is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard, and it shows which writers/fans actually analyze the games.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.