1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does America 'care' about Syria, but not Palestine?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OldfanofTmac, Sep 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The Evangelicals have no impact on why we are allied with Israel. And if you think abandoning Israel as a ally and expecting everyone in the ME to come flocking to us, you are strongly mistaken.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Did they use then on anybody?

3. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

does it matter? Neither did Iran but we're still hammering them about their nuclear ambitions.. hell they haven't even denotated any yet like NK.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Chemical weapons = bad.

Running over civilians with a tank = ok

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

As sick as that incident was, no one forced her to stand in front of the tank. You can't run away from gas.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

and reenactments showed that she was in a complete blind spot from the tank drivers view

7. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

White phosphorous used to shield/cover troop movements is OK. White phosphorous used in one of the most densely populated areas in the world ON civilians is not OK.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Evangelicals have a huge influence on Republican politics, and we are essentially a two party government. To deny that Evangelicals have an enormous influence on Israeli foreign relations is to deny reality.

I never said ME countries would come flocking to us, but our hypocritical relationship with Israel fuels a lot of the animosity in the Muslim world. Again, to deny that is to deny reality.

1 person likes this.
  9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

America doesn't hold the view that 'Palestine suffers at the hands of Israel'. America holds the opposite view in fact.

#30 tallanvor, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Only the not so smart ones.

1 person likes this.
  11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

America definately cares. While the American people might be more pro-Israel, the government has been more even in policy. If the State Dept had their way, there would have been an independent Palestine 25 years ago.

Since Oslo in the 90s, the US has been training security personnel in Ramallah and building schools and hospitals and libraries, and every president since Clinton has supported going back to the negotiating table. US policy hasn't changed since 1967 in regards to to the territories. It doesn't recognize the settlements and has always been against their expansion. Even Reagan was outspoken about it. If you go back to the 80s Shamir rain afoul of Reagan and Bush I (especially with James Baker) an awful lot. It's hard to imagine any present administration being that critical of an Israeli prime minister today

Where the US been short has been in the UN. Abbas has looked to the UN for unilateral ways to get recognition of statehood and desperately needed a few "wins" to nudge the status quo and help his standing with his own people. I never understood how abstaining in votes for these token wins helped anything, but the reasoning is that these unilateral moves make it more difficult to negotiate peace. I disagree and think these sorts of things help the cause of a Palestinian state more than the BDS movement.

12. Raven

Raven Member

13. treeman

treeman Member

This. They have had MANY chances to change their fate. They have passed up every chance for peace, have chosen continued conflict instead, and ultimately ended up electing Hamas to run the show. How's that working out for them?

They have brought their lot upon themselves. They chose it, whether they realise it or not.

14. False

False Member

Yup, kind of like the Syrian rebels. They could have had peace with Assad in power, but instead they chose to be gassed in Damascus. It is their own fault.

15. treeman

treeman Member

:rolleyes:

That has so many logical holes in it I don't even know where to start.

Perhaps we go back to '48, when the entire Arab world decided to attack the newly formed state of Israel - and lost the war?

Or should we fast forward to the blown-up school busses, cafes, pizzerias, elementary schools?

I just can;t do too many :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: for that line of argument.

16. False

False Member

I struggled for 5 seconds to think of an example of analogous reasoning that you might be able to follow that would put the absurdity of your prior comments into stark relief. And success! I guess my work is done. I'm heartened to see that you have synthesized my comment and understand the silliness and shallowness of your prior line of thinking.

17. treeman

treeman Member

Your example was ridiculous and didn't follow my logic in the slightest.

The Palestinians have been trying to push the Jews into the sea for over 60 years now. They have had NUMEROUS opportunities to end the bloodshed and establish their state. They have walked away from every single opportunity. Every time they are near a deal they toss the "right of return" card on the table - which is a deal-breaker every time, and they know it - and the talks collapse. It's a script as predictable as night and day.

Please go have a look at Hamas' Charter here:

http://www.thejerusalemfund.org/www.thejerusalemfund.org/carryover/documents/charter.html

This is the body that rules the West Bank. The Palestinian people elected these "freedom fighters" or whatever to office. Their struggle is not and has never been about "freedom". It is and always has been about ridding the Holy Land of the Jews. Really, go read that freaking charter and then tell me that they just want peace and freedom.

The Palestinians could have had peace, they could have had their own state, they could have had economic freedom, but instead they have been brainwashed into believing that fighting jihad against the Jews is the most worthy cause on earth. The brainwashing and indoctrination of Palestinian children into jihad is a well-publicized phenomenon; a little time with Google will show you some truly shocking stuff.

About the only thing that the Palestinians and the Syrian rebels have in common is that their ranks are peppered with Sunni terrorists. Was that what you meant?

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not accurate. There was a period of over one year where the Palestinians were told that if they gave peace they Israel would stop with the settlements. Israel signed on as well. Yet Israel increased their settlements. The bottom line is that it didn't matter what the Palestinians did the other side wasn't going to stop.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We should care about both. As Americans, we are solely responsible for achieving all peace in the world with our boundless cultural knowledge and pure benevolence.