1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you think the Rockets struggling to piece together a contender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by txppratt, Jul 2, 2009.

?

What do you think about our off-season moves so far?

1. I don't like it, but 2010 is all that matters now.

64 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. We're screwed with Yao and TMac's injuries - of course Ron Artest would leave.

147 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. Our second round draft picks are just the boost this team needs.

17 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Let's not panic, we can still trade TMac and get another piece.

54 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. F! Blow it up! Who cares now? REBUILD... NOW.

59 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. Morey is just being patient and waiting for the right move.

138 vote(s)
    40.7%
  7. Artest was a cancer, no worries, peace out.

29 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I don't see how any of this is his fault. Everything he's done so far is the right move (except for not looking to trade for Amare).

I mean, it's not like Yao's injury was his fault.

And a one-year deal to Artest was about as good as it was going to get. Artest MIGHT have been able to keep us in contention for the playoffs this season, but he would just end up taking up money after it. I'd rather have a possibility of getting two stars in 2010 than having to settle for one star and Ron Artest.

Gortat would have been a nice pickup, but he's not worth the full MLE. I'll take a guy like Zaza Pachulia or Antonio McDyess for cheaper.

Although, if he does sign Ariza to the full MLE... then that would be a bad move.

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

It's just bad luck. Too much of Les's money is tied up in non-players. DM's ham-strung. Hopefully we can play a fast, entertaining, run-and-gun style, like Golden State two years ago. Maybe, with Ron gone and T-Mac out, our half-court sets can finally look like the putative Adelman offense. Maybe we're due for some good luck.

3. logicx

logicx Member

There should be two offseason opinion threads.

One titled "I'm unhappy with this offseason", the other, obviously, titled "I'm happy with this offseason".

Would make things a lot simpler.

4. dassig

dassig Member

well said sir, it's not like he stepped on Yao's foot...it's not like Morey is sitting in his office with tweedling his thumbs guys, the chips just haven't fallen our way....YET! :cool:

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

6. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

Mac and Yao are the core of the injury bug. We would never contend if luck rides on them year in and out. Get them out of the picture and we can have a core to work with. We are at they're mercy until the Les Alexander and Morey move them out. Its the same IF Kobe and Gasol were not reliable. No team can operate like that. We need consistency....We have to find a way to get that. Until then we will never be where we want. Ron Leaving, thats ok...Find someone who can take his place. Need a big Man...Deke is gone, Yao...No bueno. T-mac, You can never rely on him. The biggest pieces we are missing cant show up anyways. That needs to be addressed first. Then we have a team to work with....Looks like 2010 is what we will be waiting for. It stinks....But I still have hope.

7. dassig

dassig Member

8. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

Good points! This is why I have hope:)

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. We will have ZERO money in 2010.

ZERO, not even CLOSE to enough to get a star... The cap does not work like that...

2. I like the Ariza idea, but I think that that means that Shane is gone. You can't start Shane and Trevor together, impossible...

My guess is that Tracy+Shane+whatever is hopefully being packaged for a scorer...Ehhhh, This offseason blows...

10. Raven

Raven Member

I don't care that Crazy Pills signed with the Lakers, but I am befuddled that Morey would offer Ariza a full MLE, but try to shortchange Gortat, a player that fills an immediate need and has more future trade value.

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If signing Ariza leads to a deal like that, then I'm all for it.

13. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Ariza is most likely coming plus we bought 3 draft picks, what else do you want?

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You mean another 22 game win streak against sub .500 teams while playing playoff intensity regular season basketball...followed by another 1st Round Exit when every opponent takes their game up another level while the Rockets were already in high gear?

Or, were you assuming an 8th playoff seed and hoping the Lakers fall asleep for all games not just the road ones?

15. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

A Hakeem, Shaq, Michael or Kobe doesn't come along often. The Rockets have had their share and Yao is one. But, you know, we just lucked into him with a ping pong ball and bad luck left him injured.

It almost always takes a dominant super star to build a contender. We aren't likely to draft one without an extended period of futility. So, I think we ought to be throwing in the towel for 09-10 and be structuring for Yao to play in 10-11 and beyond. Without our super star we are just one of a bunch of mid-level teams anyway. Especially so in the light of the 09-10 Cavs, Magic, Lakers, Celtics and I think,Trailblazers. That's 5 possible 60 win teams.

Get that surgery Yao. See ya next Summer.

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

The main reason is injuries but now it is time to move on from the tmac n yao era I am tired of the potential of the two getting together and potentially winning a championship 'if healthy'. It is time for a fresh start that is why at the beginning I was just like everyone else on the forum very pissed off and confused on what the rockets are doing letting artest walk and picking up some draft picks. I just think we need to wait for 2010 and try to pick up dwade or bosh and build around them. Next year doesn't look like it's going to be pretty but I think it'll be good if we get a good draft pick and start all over.

18. fanwq

fanwq Member

If two stars in a team are injured,no one can get what he wats.

19. rocket1710

rocket1710 Member

20. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

ariza is a cheaper version of artest. if we sign ron for a big chunk of our $$$$ then how can we get a back up c? good move by morey . now id say we should wait before trading mcgrady until the right offer comes for a big guy.