1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do YOU keep watching?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hippieloser, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

With all the negativity that losses like... uh... well, all of 'em inevitably bring about, I think it'd be a fun and healing activity for us all to ponder just why we keep tuning into the games and stay fans of the NBA's only team, the Rockets.

I know for me, a lot of it has to do with growing up in the Dallas area with a father whom I thought must have been the world's only Rockets fan. As a guy who went to UH while Elvin Hayes was there, my dad was one of those Houston sports fans who somehow managed to follow the Rockets, Astros, and Oilers without developing hypertension. Watching the Rockets nab those championships was a great time, totally unexpected in its awesomness.

I still watch today, even after my faves (even good old Barkley) have gone on to their real lives, because I like the sort of people that the Rockets employ. Rudy T is a great human being who knows that he is not the star of his organization. Yao is clearly going to be a very good player, but his calm and cool demeanor under pressure as well as his sense of humor which he has managed to display under an onslaught of coverage just makes the guy intensely likeable. Stevie and Cat, for all the complaining done about them, have the kind of heart and humanity absent from superstars like Karl Malone or Gary Payton. They genuinely like their team and are doing their best to achieve their lifelong dream of getting that trophy.

It's true that the Rockets are a bunch of dreamers, and I like that about them. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to cheer complete jerks like Iverson or Shaq or another of a million turds populating the league? Nah, I like these guys and I think that they'll get it together.

2. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

They need to stop dreaming and start winning. :)

I didn't watch them last season...they sucked terribly.

This year......of course cuz we have Yao.
    But I don't know why I continue to watch after we have sadly lost to the CAVS and Clippers and .....Wizards. :(
    I just always watch it.
    If we lose to the Cavs again, that's it.

If the Rockets could just win more than 5 games in a row....that would be amazing. They are too inconsistent and confident.

GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!!

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

same reason I pick at scabs.

4. Alirules

Alirules Member

Great post.

I am die hard fan and I know its going to be our time very soon.

Lot of these negative posts are either from fans who love the Rockets very much and gives constructive criticisms or stupi d
    id iots who don't know what the heck they are talking about.

Every fan has a right to criticize especially when a team is very inconsistent.

But stupi d comments really piss# me of

5. jaredb2

jaredb2 Member

because it's enteraining entertainment. Also when we do win it all again, the pain of growing years will amplify the jubilation of winning another championship

GO Rockets!

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ummmm ......I am a glutton for punishment????? :eek: ;)

7. pchan

pchan Member

I started to watch the rockets when Barkley was traded to the rockets.. he was my favorite player.
    Now... I watch the rockets because of Yao.

I love Georghe muresen.. I used to yell at the TV "PASS THE D**M BALL TO GEORGHE". Man, he was automatic down low. Even the young zo can't guard him, but zo always outrun him by 10 miles. It was so sad to see him got hurt and never have a chance to be great.

Yao is the extension of the dream of big Georghe.
    He has everything that Georghe had, and more.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bingo.

I've seen every game this year, including two live here in L.A. If you stop watching when your team is playing poorly, then you're not a true fan. Besides, frustrating as it can be at times, THIS Rockets team can play like crap for 3 quarters and still make a game of it.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's like staring at bad car wrecks.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I am a Rockets Fan of over 21 years! I am watching ,following and analysing
    the Rockets this season because Yao Ming is playing with the Rockets.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Because I honestly don't care. If the Rockets end the season without making it to the playoffs, I don't care. I would rather them make it and win a championship, of course, but it's not the end of the world. I've been watching this team since around 1978-1979 as a kid. This season is nowhere near the worst season we've had, and I find it amusing that so many people spaz about so many things that make it seem like the Rockets are some perennial losing team like the Clippers or Warriors.

This is a good team that will hopefully grow to be a great one. Sure it may take some changes, but it's too damn early to decide. I enjoy watching them as painful as it is sometimes.

12. Sane

Sane Member

Same reason I'm a fat b*stard now. I just can't let go of some things, lol.

13. carayip

carayip Member

Why do you only have 82 posts, Littley?

14. feishen

feishen Member

Sure you can, how about f@rt.

Sorry, man, cant help it .

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Amazing what a sense of history will do for you, isn't it? :)

16. fruithater

fruithater Member

He posts so much that they probably changed the posts # for him so it shows the # of posts he makes each day. So that would be 82 posts today.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Because I was a lifetime Oiler fan and I am used to watching talented players invent new ways to lose. Everytime I watch Steve Francis play I have "oiler flashbacks."

18. carayip

carayip Member

I guess reasons for most of people following a team are:

1. Live in a city and follow the local team since.

2. Watch the team because of a particular player and then follow them since.

3. Fall in love with the team's style of play or winning way and follow them since.

I am case No. 2. I started to like Rockets because of Dream and has followed and supported the team since.

19. ming1111

ming1111 Member

I always say after every lose that I am not going to watch them for the rest of the season but there I am right in front of the T.V. the very next game.I have been watching the Rockets since they were in the finals in 1980 against Boston, I was young but My grandfather was cheering for them so I instantly became a fan.And then the Big giant sattelite dish came around 1985 and my parents bought one and there was this little sports station,HSE, anybody remember that station? HSE used to show the Roxs and I was hooked, either Sattelite or Radio, I was hooked. I live 4hrs from Houston so I get down when I can to watch them but I never miss a game.I just love the team,win or lose.When they lose I hate that feeling but it goes away by the next game. I always ask myself this question "If the Rockets win another championship who in my home town is going to care? what does that do for me?I can tell everyone that my team has won it all but then what?" Well it doesn't matter because I am a Houston sports fanatic for life!! Go Roxs,Stro's, and Texans!!!

20. DCballer

DCballer Member

I watched all but three games last year. I don't think I need to say any more. By the way I've only missed one this year.