1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you hate the cowgirls? (if you do)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Austin70, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Austin70

Austin70 Member

I see alot of dislike on this board about the cowgirls and I agree with it. My hatred goes back to the Luv ya Blue days. It seemed to me like whatever the Oilers did, the cowboys always got more press.

I can remember back in when Joe Montana hit Dwight Clark for "The Catch", my brother beat the crap out of me because I was cheering and yelling. I was 11 then, but I knew who I hated, and I knew I was right.

I hate the titans too, but not as bad as the cowgirls. So, why do you hate them?

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Because the media has always made Houston to be second rate to Dallas. Houston is a great town with a bad rap.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

1. Jerry Jones
    2. Bill Parcells
    3. Their smugness and arrogance (which is really an extension of #1 but was there before JJ)
    4. Being labelled "America's team"

That 4th one probably pisses me off the most. Who in the hell designated them that and why? Why aren't the 49ers America's team? They only went 5-0 in the SuperBowl unlike the Cowgirls record of 5-3.:confused:

4. droxford

droxford Member

I hate Dallas (not just the cowgirls)

The main reason I hate 'em is cause they're so damn conceited. The entire populous gushes with arrogance. And the media attention they get just fosters such conceit.

Yeah, I know I'm generalizing millions of people, and I'm sure there are some good, friendly, humble people from Dallas... ...I just haven't met them yet.

-- droxford

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I grew up an Oilers fan.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I've been raised to be a cowboy hater since birth.

It started with Dorsett getting more press than God....er, Earl Campbell.

Then it got worse in the early 90's with all their drug problems. Irvin had no class (although he seems to have turned his life around and I really respect that) and Sanders, well I've hated Dieon since day one.

Now, it's Parcells. He's got to be one of the most overrated coaches in the history of organized sports. Seriously, what has he done without Bill Belichick? If I were a cowboy fan, I would be screaming for his firing. He's done nothing but destroy all their rebuilding efforts since he got there.

But it's mostly their fans. They are just so arrogant and obnoxious. Probably the worst in the league.

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

I kind of liked them growing up because my dad was a big fan - until Landry was fired, Jerry Jones became owner, and they started paying big money to drug using hooligans.

Now I freaking hate the Cowboys.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Member

Down here in Victoria, when the cowboys were good in the 90's, this guy had his car decked out in cowboy stickers, with one big star on the back. Hmm, you don't see that much anymore, wonder why?:)

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Parcells has only coached 2 seasons without Belichick, what exactly did you expect? He took the Giants to multiple Super Bowls, he took over a joke of a Patriots team and took them to a Super Bowl, he took a bad NYJ team to NFC championship game. He took the crappy Cowboys to 10-6 last year. Overall, he's been a head coach for 17 years and has had 5 losing seasons (including this year). Belichick's a good coach by all accounts, and he's had 5 losing seasons in 10 years.

Anyway, I'm not a Cowboys fan. Hate them, always have, always will. But 10-6 with Quincy Carter at QB was damn impressive last year, and this year they've come back down to earth with basically the same talent level.

10. Major Malcontent

Oilers fan since like 74 (when I was 4). My two favorite teams were always the Oilers and whoever was playing against the Cowboys.

Now days I root for the Texans, whoever is playing the Cowboys and what ever team I have designated to drop some cash on in a particular week.

I hated Tom Landry/Roger Staubach era. Hated Danny White, hate Aikman, Smith, Irvin, I even hate the sad sack current no name crop. Heck I used to like Eddie George, but I even hate him since he put on the Star.

Terrell Owens didn't go far enough, I would like to see a player drop trou and deficate on that 50 yard line star.

11. Rockets34Legend

Ditto.

Rivalry with the Cowboys was always history. Espeically for reputation in Texas.

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Member

I was a Cowboys fan as a young boy but that gradually faded when I moved to Texas and outgrew it. When the Cowboys rebuilt in the early 90s, I gradually became fond of them again and actually rooted for them in their first Super Bowl under Jimmy Johnson, though I didn't consider them "my team" and didn't consider myself a Cowboys fan.

I was a freshman at UT at the time and holy **** did the bandwagon fans get annoying! You had dip****s all over campus sporting Cowboys gear while unable to name a starter other than Troy Aikman (or "Michael Erving").

That was what did it for me. The bandwagoners. I learned to ****ing hate the Cowboys, just because of their fans. People who'd never been to a game, never lived in Dallas, claiming some sort of special relationship with the team just because it was successful... it made my blood boil. Of course, I also learned to appreciate why some people hated the University of Texas the way they did-- Texas attracts the same kind of obnoxious fans.

Of course, ironically, rooting against the Cowboys is only fun when they're really good and their losses mean something. So now I'm in the awkward position of hoping the Cowboys get good again, so I can enjoy watching them ultimately fail. A guy could go crazy thinking about it.

One other thing in the same vein that I still find bitterly amusing: I played up the "displaced Yankee" thing my first five years in Texas (the middle/high school years, when you're basically an ******* anyway). I hated the Oilers. Just hated them. ****ing Tom Franklin, the radio announcer, made me want to pitch the radio out the window. I hated the Oilers so much that I cheered rabidly when the Bengals ran the score up on Glanville and company in 1989. I mocked Ian Howfield and his squibbler FG choke against the Redskins in 1991. I laughed hysterically at the collapse in Buffalo.

Then, as I became more disgusted by the Cowboys bandwagoneer fans and their front-running bull****, I grew to see the Oilers as a worthy alternative. The problem was that I didn't want to be seen as a front-runner; I couldn't just adopt the Oilers as "my team" when they were on top, and by the 1993 pre-season, they were certainly that; the conventional wisdom was that adding Buddy Ryan to the staff could put the Oilers in their first Super Bowl.

So I waited.

And then came Monday Night in Buffalo, a 35-7 asswaxing that could have been 350-7 if the Bills had been so motivated. The Oilers dropped to 1-4, the coaching staff had its bag packed, the fans were in open revolt, and the bandwagon was empty.

I jumped on board. I became a HUGE Oilers fan.

And the team started winning. That was the odd thing. As soon as I said "OK, I'm an Oilers fan", they couldn't lose. 11 straight wins. I asked, in innocent curiosity, why people thought it was so hard to be an Oilers fan. This was easy!

Then came the first round playoff choke against Kansas City and Joe Montana. Now, I understood why Oiler fans were so cynical... maybe the best team in Oilers history, playing a home playoff game and riding an 11-game win streak, blew it.

:(

13. the futants

the futants Member

exactly.
    also, my dad was a huge cowboys/aggies fan. i swore that no matter what, i wasn't going to grow up to be like him. so, i became an oilers/longhorns fan. that's where i've been since the early-mid seventies (as far back as my memory will take me.)
    of course, i grew up to be exactly like him, but with different teams;) .

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

Cuz I'm a born and raised Steelers fan.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

16. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Member

I don't hate the Cowboys at all. I don't care about them though. Watching the Cowboys play gives me the same thrill as watching a Pacers vs Hawks game. slightly interesting but not really.

I hate the Titans much more than any other team in the NFL.

17. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Don't hate the team.

Don't even hate the fans who actually have ties to the team.

What I hate is the arrogant fans who have no sort of geographical or family connection to the team who just want to support a storied franchise.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Me too, but I just never cared about the Cowboys. I hated the Steelers because I was an Oilers fan. I just didn't pay attention to the Cowboys.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this backward way of thinking. I've always thought about it that way.

One of my favorite cowboy losses was when they lost to Carolina in the playoffs a few years ago. That was the beginning of the end of there 90's run.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Member

You to hate them. There is no question about it when you are a die hard oilers fan back in the day and now a die hard Texans fan....just part of the job =)