1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you dislike Obama?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Jul 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean there is something in Bush's presidency that does kinda of merit the hatred and that is the involvement in Iraq that did god knows to the stability of the Middle East and to our national debt. A blunder as large as a war in the wrong place that lasted over a decade is a blunder worth the vitriolic sentiments towards Bush. I don't see a single event like that under Obama's presidency.

2. TheresTheDagger

I'm referring to your answer to his post. Nothing more.

True statement.
    Completely agree. That's his worldview based upon his experiences. You're not at all curious why he feels that way? If not, I point out that you are in favor of the status quo...less dialogue, more tension. (To be clear, he and I...EVERYONE holds this responsibility as much as you do)

Of course its not a reasoned statement. Neither was your flip response. Are you incapable of being better than he is? I'm confident you are.

No that wasn't my point. My query to you is, "Do you want to find out why he feels that way?" (dialogue and the potential for positive change).

Or do you simply want to continue with the status quo of anger, resentment, violence that his statement and your response generates?

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

That's his thing. Leave him alone. If anyone wants a laugh at some haughty grandiloquent posts of benevolence, read this:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=262308

Though he probably edited out most of the insane posts he had.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok. Your post wasn't really clear as to your aim, and the poster at hand didn't really address the thread title so it made it difficult to discern.

I do agree, if someone has racially driven views I'd rather have them known.

5. TheresTheDagger

You're welcome to feel that way, but if you truly feel as you clearly do about his post, wouldn't it be better to point out the literally hundreds of examples that disprove his assertion rather than simply mock him?

Not only will it stand a better chance of influencing the discussion positively, it might make others on the fence more likely to see your point of view. It MIGHT even give him something to think about. It also might not but at least is not childhood playground insults right?

Taking the emotion out of discussions like this is always productive.

6. fchowd0311

You think he hasn't ever heard a rational argument that condemns his views ever?

Someone who assumes that all black people are looking for handouts isn't going to be 'saved' by rational arguments. He already made up his his mind and his racist ways. You protecting him speaks volumes though.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Are you kidding me? wow .

8. TheresTheDagger

To answer the question:

My biggest problems with President Obama is how disappointing he has been with regards to his inability to bring people together. This was the promise his candidacy gave to America but we are more divided than ever.

He certainly doesn't own all the blame for the situation today, but as the leader he cannot be given a pass either. He's a cool customer, and as such seems to have the qualities you would want in a president. But underneath it, l see an arrogance and stubbornness that is at absolute odds with an ability to find common ground in our deeply divided country.

This is my opinion and I recognize others do not share it. But millions of others do share it (the disappointment) on both sides of the aisle. In retrospect, we probably expect too much from our politicians. Currently, they certainly are a reflection of where we are as a country. More interested in being right and supporting our "side" than finding common ground as Americans first. Until we fully realize this, nothing will change.

9. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I dislike Obama because he royally screwed my health care plan and I am paying much much more for my healthcare than I was two years ago.

I think he is a masterful politician, but an incompetent leader. He is not stopping terrorism both domestically and abroad and the racial tension is just getting higher and higher. Certainly you can't call him a strong leader.

10. TheresTheDagger

I don't know. I don't follow his every post. I certain insults won't do the trick.

Perhaps not. What about the dozens of other people who might see this back and forth? Do you think a reasoned response might do more to affect their attitudes?

I'm not attempting to protect him.

I'm attempting to get more rational discourse instead of flip and counterproductive sound bites.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm largely in favor of his 7.5 years, but here's what I don't like:

1. That he is not, in his bones, a politician. His opponents have often outflanked him, even though he is intellectually smarter in many cases. He just doesn't think and work in a political mode, in the way that someone like Johnson or even Reagan did with their Congresses. You can say it would have been impossible in this 21st century climate, and maybe so.
    Politics is understanding the opposition 10 moves in advance and making deals. he wants to win people to exactly his way of thinking (see point #2), and that just doesn't work. Politics are not about rational discourse and they never have been.

2. That he can't lose the professorial tone. I mean, I'm comfortable with it, because I am surrounded by people who talk like that, all day every day. But it's not good for communicating with our entire country, IMHO. The whole prune face, blinking thing is not good TV and it goes along with that.

There are a lot of things I like about him, but those two are honestly my two biggest gripes.

12. fchowd0311

Tell me how a 'rational discourse' about convincing him that not all black people look for handouts will look like. Some sentiments deserve to be laughed at.

13. TheresTheDagger

How about starting with:

"Roc Paint, Why do you feel this way? Please give specifics."

14. fchowd0311

I would only take you seriously if you acted the exact same way with ridiculous posts from the other side of your ideological spectrum.

You never made fun of a ridiculous post from the 'other side' right?

You can go debate him. I don't see why YOU don't ask him those questions?

15. TheresTheDagger

No, you're right. I've done those things in the past.

What has it gotten me? What has it gotten us? Anger. Division. Lack of clarity.

The last couple of weeks, I've reflected heavily on why things are so messed up. I played my part. I'm working on changing. Of course saying you're changing is different than actually doing it. So, you can hold my feet to the fire. I won't mind.

Forgive my clumsy efforts here. I don't mean to come across as preachy. Just trying to be more thoughtful. Peace.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The bottom line is that Obama was just in way over his head as president. He just didn't have the competence required for the position, and it resulted in many massive failures.

1. Foreign policy has been a historic failure. Middle East in absolute chaos due to Obama's unwillingness to take on ISIS. This could very well lead to the breakup of the EU (migrant crisis resulted, which stirred up nationalistic politics). Russia stomped all over his leadership by taking over a sovereign country and annexing its land (Crimea). The deal with Iran was a colossal failure that very well could result in the future use of a nuclear weapon by terrorists.

2. Our nation is hideously divided by race, and it's a narrative Obama directly contributed to. Through his words (which were spoken for selfish political gain) he incited people's hatred and has blood on his hands for the death of policemen.

3. Our government is hideously divided and in perpetual gridlock. Obama was unwilling and incapable of working across the aisle. He would rather point fingers at the right and lecture the public than put in the hard work that his predecessors did.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would agree with point 1.

Regarding point 2, this is certainly not something that was caused by Obama.

Racism has been alive and well long before Obama, and, sadly, will continue to be alive and well after Obama.

Regarding point 3, from an outsider perspective, I think it is fair to say that it takes both sides to create that gridlock.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not that you're addressing that to me, but just want to say good on you. I've noticed. I'm trying the same thing. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Roc Paint has within the span of a few weeks totally reinvented his persona on this site. Bravo, **** you, but bravo.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama clearly contributed to #2 in a negative way. No, he didn't start racial problems in America, but his actions starting with the Trayvon incident have led to a truly toxic climate in the US right now. It's as bad as I've ever seen it, and we've had two incidents in the past 10 days where police were killed simply over their race.

On the political gridlock, there has always been disagreements between the two political parties we have. The difference is Obama has tried to use lectures to sway public perception rather than put in the hard work required of political leaders.