1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do we tolerate Muslim intolerance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 19, 2005.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

sura faints!

2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I think you have a misconception of this being related to a religion. All of this shooting at Red Cross is caused by poverty and a poor environment. Poverty-stricken places and desperate people are generally hotspots for warlords or extreme religious leaders to take over. These people are looking for someone to blame and they are told to blame these certain people. Where there's poverty, there will be extremism and fanatism regardless of religion.

Also, don't you forget about the Muslim genocide in Serbia.

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

:sigh:

#83 Lynus302, Sep 20, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

NewYorker,

I already answered your question as to why there is more violence from Muslims worldwide today than in the past (only if you don't consider occupying armies violent of course, in which case the Americans and the Israelis and the Russians are far ahead as groups).

Muslim lands are disproportionatly occupied by the 'Cross' and the 'Star', and therefore those symbols when seen in a warzone (which the Red Cross operates in) are seen as part of the occupying force. What the heck do Westerners have to complain about? Is Britian occupied? Name me one Christian country in the West today that has to deal with 'Crescent' soldiers occupyingn their land and causing bloodshed. I hope you get my point this time, I don't understand why you are unable to see this as a pretty damn good reason for violence; what is worse than having a foreign power killing and maiming your children and family every day of the week? Is there a Western country in the position Iraqis find themselves today? Is there a Western country that has suffered at magnitude the Palestinians have for over 55 years now? Is there a Western country that still has a hard time overcoming the legacy of colonialism only to be re-colonized by foreign powers who ALL happen to be Christian and Jewish?

My whole point is this: nothing happens in a vaccum. You're saying you don't personally think that Muslims 'have it that bad'?!! That's completely ignorant and arrogant on your part. Who the heck are you to say that to people who are being colonized and brutalized as we speak? If you are incapable of seeing the suffering of the other side, then that's your choice, buit don't throw out such false assertions when reality says otherwise.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

To be fair, the original question/challenge posted by Major seemed to only inquire bigtexxx's "international background" without the explicit emphasis on "relevant experience". Bigtexxx apparently took the bait at its face value.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Now this is funny, can anyone spot the error here?

:)

DD

7. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

In threads like this, you and I usually clash. However here, I have to hand it to you:) That was funny :)

8. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

DD ... oh yes very funny ...big error on my part....posting: Muslims suck!!…..would suit your taste a little better :)

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

It's gettign so ugly in here, I want to sing a little song now. If you know the words feel free to sing along... :)

In the Marmalade Forest
    Between the make-believe trees
    In a cottage cheese cottage
    Lives Albi
    Albi
    Albi
    Albi
    Albi, the racist dragon.

Part 6: And so all the people of the village chased Albi, the racist dragon, into a very cold very scary cave. It was so cold and scary in there that Albi began to cry, dragon tears, which as we all know turn into JELLY BEANS. Anyway, just at that moment he felt a tiny little hand on his tail. He turned around and who should that hand belong to but the badly burnt Albanian boy.

"What are you doing here? I thought I killed you!" Growled Albi, quite racistly.
    "No, you didn't kill me Albi, I was just very badly burnt. I crawled to safety and I'm still alive, although I'm very badly disfigured." Laughed the boy. "Why are you crying?"
    "I'm crying cause all the Villagers chased me here. I think it's because I'm so racist. Take your hand off my tail you'll make it dirty..."
    "No, Albi, they chased me here too. It's just because we're, you and I...we're different"

And suddenly, Albi wasn't racist anymore.

So they sat in the cave,
    The cave,
    And ate bubblegum pie, YUM.
    Albi, the racist
    (well not any more)
    Dragon.

#89 Mulder, Sep 20, 2005
  10. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

You’re an a$$hole…..any error’s DD? :D

11. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

oops there is an error in 'error's'

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Vince,

You need to quit while you are behind.

I was just poking fun.....

No malice intended to you, or your god.

;)

DD

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yes, but using common sense one should know that he was asking about his background in reference to the topic at hand. And no, I'm not saying you don't have common sense (you guys are sensitive in here, so I have to issue my disclaimer). :)

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Germany, for example, has a lot of issues with their Muslim population. Assuming you don't have any exposure to 'Muslim' culture because you haven't lived in the Middle East is a little silly.

But this thread and all the other "muslim" threads are a waste of time. If its good (Afghan voting thread) then they're real Muslims, if its undesirable (threatening journalists, bombing, head chopping) then they aren't real (insert here: confused, misappropriating Islam, under mind control etc) Muslims.

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Fair enough. But listing Mexico and a bunch of EU countries wasn't helping much either ...

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Well, Mexico I'll grant you :) but the EU is right in the center of the Islam/West debate.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I seriously doubt Norway, Italy, Sweden, Belgium, and Denmark have lots of issues with their muslim minorities domestically.

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Great. I suppose I'm now supposed to waste more of my work day google'ing (or is it googling) about Norway and Islam... :p

One thing that also should be said is that even if he hasn't travelled to Muslim intensive places, travel outside your own culture can provide an understanding that there ARE different cultures with different values from your own. I suspect that's why he listed Mexico etc, although I could be wrong.

OK, here you go:

Belgium

Italy

Sweden

Denmark

Norway

I guess you should travel more.... :)

#98 HayesStreet, Sep 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2005
  19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It "can". I think folks were suprised that he traveled at all considering his comments. He "seems" to be very ethnocentric in his thinking, as far as his certainity on what those symbols could mean to all people. I've lived here my entire life and I know I couldn't tell you what all symbols mean to all Texas residents.

The other posters gave specific examples on how that symbol can be perceived as negative to folks in those places. Listing where you've been doesn't help much in this case if it isn't the place in question.

#99 Icehouse, Sep 20, 2005
  20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Agreed

Maybe. DaDa has travelled extensively IIRC in the Middle East and that doesn't seem to get him any more credibility.