1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do we tolerate Muslim intolerance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 19, 2005.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tautology is afoot here.

Intolerance must not be tolerated.

2. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Main Entry: tau·tol·o·gy
    Pronunciation: to-'tä-l&-jE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
    Etymology: Late Latin tautologia, from Greek, from tautologos
    1 a : needless repetition of an idea, statement, or word

Chance with an assist.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Chance, did you really have to look up tautology? Perhaps, the defintion I meant was the second one listed.

2. Logic An empty or vacuous statement composed of simpler statements in a fashion that makes it logically true whether the simpler statements are factually true or false; for example, the statement

aka circular definition

NW with an assist back to Chance.

4. Chance

lol. Yeah I did. I thought it was going to be the study of bipedal Hoth marsupial mammals but I was WAAAAAY off.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Actually, Major, are you even aware that the Nazi swastika is different from those of those religions?

Would you mind sharing your international background with us, since you brought up the issue?

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

LMAO :D

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

ya its actually the mirror view of the nazi swastika, but to the untrained eye, it looks the same

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You mean American, unless you live in India, which you don't.

by the way - I could have guessed you were Indian by your post count! You and drapg - 6,000+ posts and still Senior Members! :D

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Major already told his background. He didn't list international background as a reason to listen to him. He pointed out bigtexxx's obvious ignorance(or feigned ignorance) as reason why his arguments were incredibily off the mark and were so heaped in ingnorance that they were no longer even relevant to the discussion at hand.

bigtexxx was the one who then tried to hype his own international qualifications as some sort of defense of his own previous ignorant remarks. However bigtexxx never clarified those remarks, while Major did clarifiy his.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

not every indian living in america is an american citizen
    thats quite racist.

and were still waiting on your credentials.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I love it how you try to tell people what happened when they can read it with their own eyes. You're a treat. I stated my credentials after Major claimed I had no international experience. Please, please read more carefully and check your bias at the door. I honestly ask this of you.

I usually don't answer liberals' silly requests of me, but I'll humor you on this one. I speak Spanish (actually have a degree in it...) as well as German. I have worked significant amounts of time in Mexico and Germany, in addition to Norway, Italy, Sweden, Belgium and Denmark. There you go! I think you'd have to admit that I do indeed have some international perspective.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks adeelsiddiqui - from the link you posted:

Because of its use by Hitler and the Nazis and, in modern times, by neo-Nazis and other hate groups, for many people in the West, the swastika is associated primarily with Nazism, fascism, and white supremacy in general. Hence, outside historical contexts, it has become taboo in Western countries. For example, the German postwar criminal code makes the public showing of the Hakenkreuz (the swastika) and other Nazi symbols illegal and punishable, except for scholarly reasons.

I think this is what bigtexxxx was referring to.

Maybe it has to do with my cultural background, but when I see a swastika (and yes, I have seen the one that is used in religious context as well, but it is different), I feel disgust and anger - I cannot say I feel the same when I see a cross. I can imagine that someone who primarily views a swastika as a symbol of his religion would view this in a completely different way, of course.

However, what seems to get lost in the discussion here is the starting point - the intolerance and ignorance of those Muslims who shoot at the Red Cross. No matter what the history of the symbol, nowadays, shooting at the Red Cross is a sad sign of ignorance and intolerance.

13. Chance

I'm proud of ya bigtexxx. They asked for proff and there it is.

14. Major

Major Member

Yes, its rotated and decorated slightly differently. If you show either symbol to the average American, they will find it offensive, and rightly so. Similar to how the Red Cross symbol is different from the red crosses that were controversial to the middle east. I'm not sure the relevance?

As far as international background, I already described my thoughts on it earlier. I've lived overseas, I've travelled overseas, I am surrounded by people who have dedicated their lives to overseas work and missions etc, for 9 years, I've dealt directly with thousands of game players from 70+ nations for our website and got to see people be offensive and be offended, etc. None of that means anything though - you can't quantify "international background", and all the "experiencing" it doesn't matter if you don't actually let it affect you. Similarly, you can gain a great international perspective without experiencing it at all, by simply reading or learning or whatnot. It's all about being willing to see differences in cultures and people and seeing the reasons for them, as opposed to just seeing those differences as stupid or silly or whatnot. You can tell when someone has no sense of other cultures, and bigtexxx has demonstrated that in this thread, amongst others.

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yes that was proff. It certainly wasn't proof.

16. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

You just answered your own question.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I hear they make good eating and are good substitutes for sleeping bags in a pinch.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is that really an equation you want to make? :eek:

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Well I speak 7 languages including 6 that I made up and have worked extensively in 100 countries including Catofornia, Moblanaco and Bobby Suraname.

WoooHOO! I win!

OWNED BRAH!

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

ROFLOL