1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Why do we tolerate Muslim intolerance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Sep 19, 2005.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

If you hear anything with "Akbar" in it, duck under the table! ;)

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're right. It's not justifiable by any means. Murder of innocent life under any circumstances is never justifiable. How is it any different though than when we fly our fighter planes over countries to "blow things up." Because we claim it's for a greater cause or that we're not trying to target civilians? Meaningless killing is wrong no matter what. Both are wrong.

3. thacabbage

I wasn't going to dignifty this post with a response, but I have nothing better to do at the moment.

Pray tell, how are they supposed to go about doing that? Islam is a religion, it's not some united worldwide complex secret underground brotherhood. Each Muslim is facing different circumstances in his part of the world, the majority living under corrupt regimes after the fall of colonialism. And by the way, numerous clerics have spoken out against terrorism. Is it on the back of Christianity when an abortion clinic is bombed or when homosexuals are denied fundamental rights? No, and it shouldn't be either. I don't buy into the adage that "Islam is a religion of peace." It's just a religion like any other, easily manipulated. Millions were ruthlessly slaughtered throughout history in the name of Christianity but Christianity certainly doesn't advocate that kind of thing.

Where are the examples of terrorism in countless Muslim communities across the United States?

Where are the examples of terrorism in countless Muslim communities across the United States?

You're really grasping at straws here.

:confused:

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The funny thing is that tons of muslim organizations donated, and were part of the relief crew in the Tsunami as well as the current Earthquake

Infact, I think It was a MUSLIM country that offered one of the highest monetary donation for Hurricane Katrina victims?

click on the link and find out what muslims really are doing to help.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think there where a couple of buildings attacked in New York.

7. tigermission1

:confused:

8. thacabbage

9/11 was from a foreign enemy. He said that terrorism occurs in any Muslim community and the local "imams" do nothing to stop it. In other words, meaning that it is a product of the society in a sense. Not sure how New York City is a Muslim community or that the hijackers were American Muslims, but good try though.

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

If people don't think that Muslims quietly cheer these acts of terrorism, then I am shocked.

You know, many Muslims still believe 9/11 was a conspiracy by Israel. They don't even accept that Muslims are terrorsts.

Anyway, it's a moot point - fact is, other then some politically correct statements condemning acts of terrorism, you don't seem much effort if the region to work to rid of the extremists. There's a lot of sympathy for their martyrs. Saudia Arabia only started an anti-terrorism campaign when they themselves came under attack from extremists.

I still haven't seen many of the guys like the cabbage, or tigermission, or the other guys come out and say - hey, Muslims need to do more to fight this crap as it's hurting our reputation.

Nope, it's just excuses and attack the person who speaks the truth. Denial. Excuses. Appeasement. Well, that's why western nations have to fight these wars such as in Afganistan, because Muslims have no interest in ridding the world of this vileness - they'd rather sweep in under the rug.

Well i got news for you, the real war isn't with the west, it's what the face of Islam is going to be to the world. And right now, these fanatics are winning. You can call me ignorant, but more and more people in this world are seeing Islam as a violent religion - not a peaceful one. You can argue facts, find Imams issues fatwahs or mention the crusades - but the real fact of the matter is that Islam is increasingly being perceived as violent.

Maybe instead of making excuses and attacks, the Muslim comminity should start fighting against the extremists.

Yeah right.

10. insane man

insane man Member

pray tell how many muslims you know. usually those who start off with 'my best friend is X but...' are prejudice but i'll give you a free pass. how many muslims do you encounter on a daily basis well enough to know whether they cheer for these acts of terrorism.

most muslims aren't fans of israel.
    israel did terrorism.
    most muslims wouldn't be fans of terrorism.

and the US only went after osama when he attacked them. they didn't go after osama when he was attacking afghanistan. no **** sherlock. states look out for their own interests. does the US really care about the tamil tigers? no. why? because no one cares about sri lanka.

if these muslims wanted to fight this crap...what would it matter if they said it here? wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to say it in their communities? and how would you be able to judge that?

secondly you claim that people need to say crap against terrorism. but when they do they are just PR moves. what do you want from these muslims?

western nations? pakistan is doing more for the war in afghanistan than any western nation outside of the US and UK.

ps: have you heard US govt officials discuss how gulf nations are helping in this process? there was a hearing in the senate banking and finance committee a couple months back with your boy steve emerson. and there were govt officials there. and the govt officials repeatedly stated that saudi was helping. and other persian gulf nations were tremendously helpful in curbing money laundering and instituting policies to ensure that money wasn't going into terrorist hands. but i wouldn't expect you to listen to officials who know what they are talking about.

[qipte]Well i got news for you, the real war isn't with the west, it's what the face of Islam is going to be to the world. And right now, these fanatics are winning.[/quote]
    well if you want you can arm good countries or good muslims with lots of guns and bombs and have them fight it out. otherwise what do you want?

really? outside of israel and the us, maybe the uk...how many countries really think islam is a 'violent religion'. give me numbers. thanks.

fact? back it up.

maybe we should realize that terrorism isn't something individual communities can fight. its something that the state can fight. and frankly most muslim states aren't in all that great of a position both interms of domestic credibility nor international standing.

perhaps instead of the blame game we can actually devise policies that help. instead of spewing ignorant bullsh!t.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Saudi Arabia and other authoritarian regimes have cracked down domestic terrorism long before Americans knew of a bin Laden. Saudi Arabia's former king lived very liberally but started promoting Wahabism as a sponsored religion to rein in discontent extremists. In Egypt, it was the Muslim Brotherhood.

The common link with these authoritarian countries is that they have/had support and aid from the US. When the first Gulf War began, there were fears of an oil shock. Saudi Arabia stepped up production. Just as they did after 9/11 and Gulf War II. As our allies, what they don't say for words, they make up for their actions. What we say to condemn those states, we make up with our money and weapons.

But it's this US support and the failure of those countries terrorist cells to accomplish anything substantial on their home grounds that has caused them to target their efforts at America. They believe we're the root of the problem with the problem being their totalitarian rulers. Similarly, without our support, Israel would appear weaker, but that goal is secondary (and most popular) to bringing down Middle Eastern governments and creating their new Islamic state.

You'd be a fool to think a majority of Muslims secretly support terrorists. Some may think their current rulers are oppressive but most know they'd be worse off just as the Afghans were with the Taliban.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You still haven't acknowledged the fact that it was muslims from London who tried to turn those responsible for the subway bombing years before the bombings happened.

You haven't acknowledged fatwahs issued from muslims religious leaders which or more than just lip service.

You haven't acknowleged the fact there were muslim troops from Turkey that took place in going after terrorists in Afghanistan.

You haven't acknowledged countless books being being written, statements from the heads of muslim run news agencies and more all decrying the ills and wrongs of islamic terrorism, and that muslims need to take action to remove terrorism.

You haven't acknowledged the fact that Iranians held candle light vigils after 9/11.

There is no doubt that some muslims cheer when terrorists succeed. There is also no doubt that they are in the minority.

It is one thing for people to be ignorant. It is another for people to be willfully ignorant.

What are you basing your statements on? Your own opinion and perceptions?

#192 FranchiseBlade, Oct 11, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  13. tigermission1

Yah, Islam is such a 'vile' religion with such a bad reputation that it continues to grow in numbers faster than any other religion in the world.

Oh yah, forgot, they're being converted by the sword :rolleyes:

14. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

man you're an idiot.....you're stating that MOST Muslims quietly cheer terrorists attacks!

my question to you is........how do you know this??.........was there a poll done recently that i am unaware of?.....or can you read the minds of Muslims??....if you can.... that’s a great talent.....i'd use that for other things :D

15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

According to the Pew research center, there were many muslim countries in which the majority of people felt suicide bombings against civilians was justified. Also, in many more countries, confidence in bin laden exceeded 50%.

I haven't seen the most recent ones, but clearly many Muslims rejoiced at the attacks on the world trade center - or did you miss the video of the celebrations in Palestine afterwards?

Also, if you need further insights into how Muslims in the the Muslim world think (not the U.S. or Uk) - go to Soundofegypt.com. The owner on this site was praised widely on Egyptian TV.

Finally, perception of Muslims in many countires, particularly Spain and Germany, are extremely low (under 50%).

Please people, pull the blindfold off. Muslims in that part of the world were so happy about 9/11. I've had many arguments with Muslims (not for here mind you), and eventually they admitted - hell yeah they were happy. Sad too, but some part of them was quietly feeling like the U.S. "Got what they deserved".

If people don't understand this - I'm sorry, you're blind. You just don't know, and you can claim all the b.s. about Islam you want, but the fact of the matter is, 9/11 was a joyous day in the Islamic world. They may not feel so joyous now, but at that day, boy, you better know, it was celebration time whether it was expressed or not.

16. thacabbage

I guess you didn't get the memo. That footage was from prior to 9/11.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not all of it....there was celebration in the Gaza strip over the bombing of the towers.....

Classless for sure, but still happened.

DD

18. insane man

insane man Member

isolated incidents.

wait no actually this was an isolated incident. big whoop. i guess mexico hates america too given the obl chant they pulled.

newyorker hte fundamental problem is you give no links. you have no proof. you make up ****. and you claim that it was a joyous incident even if it wasn't explicit. given your utter ignorance of the muslim world, hell of anything, how in gods name are you able to quantify the emotion any muslims felt on september 11th. when you get a dr. infront of your name with a degree in muslim culture let us know. until then your credibility is irrelevent given that you have no legitimacy to make these comments.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Gaza???

These peoples only image of America is as being the ones who supply Israel with tanks and missles, why wouldnt they get happy when America gets attacked?

There are tons of Americans that enjoyed the torture of Iraqi civillians? yes no?
    Abu Ghraib... search for blogs about that incident and you see the tons of AMERICANS that joiced on that event...

Its sad, but its not representative of the whole people of america...

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And you know that a large majority of muslims were happy about 9/11 because you had some arguments with a few muslims?

Let me help you with an overwhelming condemnation by Muslims against 9/11 and terrorism.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/america13.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/america10.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/chaplain.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/america09.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/kasim01.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/iftikhar01.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/khan01.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/adi05.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/adi03.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/clinton01.htm

http://www.islamfortoday.com/60minutes.htm

And there are many many more here, that you more than welcome to look at for yourself. http://www.islamfortoday.com/muslimstoday.htm

Among the titles of these articles are: Muslims against Terrorism, Faith and Tolerance in Muslim America, This Gruesome Crime has nothing to do with Islam
    A Muslim roundly condemns the murder of Daniel Pearl
    Abubakar N. Kasim, Toronto, Canada

The list goes on and on.

But wait there is more.

Try this out for starters.

There are countless examples here to read about. Why don't you start reading these links, and educate yourself before making accusations because you have had arguments with a few people.