1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do the Rockets play at the same level of their opponents?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PooleBoi7, Mar 7, 2013.

1. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like more times than not, we play at the exact same level of the opposite team. Wizards, Kings, T-Wolves, Mavs, Bucks, etc etc....Either we trade baskets for a large portion of the game or make some kind of 10 point comeback and still lose the game. With the exception of the times we have blown out teams, this happens very often. With as many points as we average per game, there's no reason why we should be playing like this. I give it to Dallas, but they SHOULD NOT have won that game...

SIDE NOTE: Even though I am hoping otherwise, we are going to be in another playoff folly like last year and the year before. James Harden needs to pass the ball more also in game deciding situations. The last second pick and roll with Harden at the end of every quarter starts to get banal. I hate this hero ball crap. We have too many good players on the roster. Last night, he should've known he wasn't going to get the foul call on the last play of the game. He had like 2-3 players open for a set shot and an EASIER basket...

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Because we aren't a very good team. We are a middle of the pack team that will lose its fair share of games. There is really no reason to analyze it any further. Games like this on the road you expect to lose some of them.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Age, maturity and chemistry.

No he didn't.

4. SK34

SK34 Member

Then I would say that's a good thing because once we make the playoffs, we will play like the spurs, OKC, , grizzlies, heat and win the championship. :)

5. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

Dude, anybody was more open than he was.

6. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

one can only dream my brethren....one can only dream....

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nobody else is as good at finishing around the rim on the team than Harden. He's the star player.

8. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

I know what you mean man but idk...as inconsistent as he was playing last night, it seems like there could have been a better option. Even with the ball in Harden's hands, did they really have to draw up the same exact pick and roll play :confused: ??

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Defense which typically gets better with basketball knowledge, experience, and practice... IE AGE.

If the Rockets keep this team together for the long haul, I expect their game-play to change quite a bit. I think they still will be fast paced, but they are going to get much better at strategy, and execution defensively which will probably slow their pace down a little bit.

This will lead to more consistent play over time, and wont allow them to get brought down to their competition.

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

The better our players get, the slower we can play and the less points we'll allow. Playing how we play now, defensively we have our guards coming off their man constantly to try to get steals for fastbreaks, we make risky plays which can lead to turnovers, and we simply have less energy to play defense. We also naturally just increase the pace of the other team, for example, if we take 20 seconds to score, then the opposing team will get the ball after 20 seconds. If we take 10 seconds to score, then the opposing team will get the ball after 10 seconds. You know what I mean? It increases possessions for both teams. Our success offensively and our defensive woes kind of come packaged with our playing style.

11. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Harden and Lin are the only two guys who can creat shots for themselves and other teammates. As great as Parsons is, he's still more of a good cutter and catch-shoot guy.

Last night, when Lin was on the bench the whole 4th qtr, Harden had to look for his own shot also creat for other players. It was a lot for him to do so his efficiency dropped down and our offense became much more predictable.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Trivia ...

A shot is more efficient if it is:
    - shot at rim by your closer with three defenders waiting for it?
    - shot on the perimeter (even a long 2) with the defenders drawn and space to shoot, by 2nd tier players/shooters (Parsons, Delfino)?

You know why we suck at end-of-games now. Because we are so damn predictable. Harden can get his And-Ones during the game a lot easier because the defenders aren't as focused as during end game situations, when we all know McHale pretends to draw up something on his chalkboard when all he is doing is telling everybody to get out of the way.

And the refs will swallow their whistle during the normal course of a season during end-game situations more frequent than not, let alone a season when the Rockets are battling the Lakers for a playoff spot. Still can't believe that 3 was ruled too late.

13. holly1985

holly1985 Member

I'm more interested in Morey's thoughts about last night's game and rotation.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I thinks it's just maturity as well. Being the youngest team with lots of potential means showing flashes of brilliance and then dud moments. It takes a great deal of mental fortitude and experience to play at a consistent level regardless of your opponent. It's frustrating as hell but it shows what kind of potential we have. Give it a year or two and we'll start to see that veteran play needed to win most of the games we're suppose to.

15. GIGO

GIGO Member

but the media seem still excited about the Rockets.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/03/07/fast-and-loose-rockets-defy-convention/

FAST-AND-LOOSE ROCKETS DEFY CONVENTION
    March 7, 2013 · 1:26AM
    Posted by: Jeff Caplan

DALLAS – What Mike D’Antoni must think of these young, run-and-gun, jack-’em-up Houston Rockets.

“They are an exciting team,” said Dallas Mavericks forward Shawn Marion, a staple on D’Antoni’s seven-seconds-or-less Phoenix Suns. “And, on the floor, they are a team I haven’t seen in a long time.”

Maybe since your Suns teams, Shawn?

James Harden and Co., are turning conventional basketball on its ear, spurred by the analytics revolution that suggests mid-range jumpers in today’s game are a waste of time. The Rockets aren’t without flaws — namely a defense that allows far too many points — as was the case in Wednesday’s 112-108 loss at the Dallas Mavericks, a tough one to swallow as Houston tries to solidify its playoff position.

Their offensive approach, however, continues to defy convention at a pulsating pace. The Rockets score the majority of their points in three ways: Drives to the basket for the majority of their high-frequency points in the paint, free throws and 3-pointers. Consider in Wednesday’s game that 100 of their 108 points came from those three areas — 38 points in the paint, 26 points from the free-throw line and 36 more from beyond the arc.

“That’s Rockets basketball,” Harden said.

Houston is the youngest team in the NBA and, at 33-29, it is poised to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009. They’re tied for the league lead in scoring at 107.0 points a game with Oklahoma City. They’re second behind the Knicks in 3-pointers attempted per game (28.7) and 3s made per game (10.6), fourth in free throws made per game (18.9) and second in points in the paint per game (46.5).

“We’re doing what suits us best,” said Rockets forward Chandler Parsons, who had 23 points and was 5-for-8 from beyond the arc against Dallas. “We don’t mind what other people do. That’s the way we should play. That’s the best style that we play is up and down with the personnel we have. I think that suits us best. I think it’s a perfect situation, a perfect style for the way we play, how young we are; we got shooters, we got playmakers. I think there’s no other way to play.”

Last month, the Rockets tied the NBA’s all-time 3-point record by draining 23 against the Warriors. Since the All-Star break, Houston has increased its 3-point attempts to a whopping 32.3 a game. They went 19-for-46 in a two-point loss at Washington two weeks ago. In the last seven games, the Rockets have attempted 30 or more 3s five times.

“They shoot about 25-30 3s a night, and that’s a lot of 3s,” Marion said.

Yes it is. But the exchange is worth it. In those seven games, the Rockets are 102-for-226 from beyond the arc for an astounding 45.1 percent. After Wednesday’s 12-for-32 performance (37.5 percent), they’re shooting it at 37.0 percent on the season.

“I don’t think, with our offense, you can’t put a number on it [3-point attempts],” Parsons said. “We go up and down so fast that sometimes in the flow of a game shots are there and sometimes they’re not. So, I don’t think the 3s hurt us. I think it’s just part of our game and if we have open shots we’re going to take them.”

The question, assuming the Rockets hold onto their playoff spot, is if this style can win in the grind-it-out postseason. Of course, Houston won’t be favored to beat either of their most likely postseason foes (OKC or San Antonio) so it might take another year or two of seasoning before the Rockets come of age and their style becomes dissected in the playoffs like the D’Antoni’s old Suns.

“We know the difference now between good 3s and bad 3s,” Harden said. “So, when guys are open I think everybody on the team is going to say shoot the ball.”

That’s exactly what they’re doing.

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

If that were true (which I am not saying it isn't!), I think it's fair to assume our winning record vs teams above .500 would be VERY close to our record vs teams below .500.

So, let's see, our record against .500 and below is 15-11(57%)

while our record against teams above .500 is 18-18 (which has increased from 14-18 last four games against winning teams). (50%)

(Next stats do not include the last 3-4 games I believe -- I used this website for that http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/houston-rockets/team/profile/13/10/1-1-1-eff)
    Vs the West's best 8 we are 5-12 while vs the East's best 8 we are 9-6.

Last, how do we do against lottery-bound teams? 16-12.

I am sure other variables such as back to backs, home vs away record (which we play much better at home), games after James Harden blows 20k on some booty, length of time in between the opponent's last games, injuries (mostly to the opponent's team, this year), etc.

I think it's a fair statement to make (even though we still win more vs losing teams than winning teams), but the record doesn't make anything conclusive.

Just from my eye test though, I think the real reason on why we do is the same reason Golden State (Baron Davis' team) and Orlando (Dwight's final appearance) won a lot of their games. When they are on from three, they are deadly. When they are not, it all falls on fast break points and Harden. If we are on from three, we can beat any team in the league. If not, it lessens our chances a lot.

17. andersongo

andersongo Member

McSuccess must be the only coach that calls out a time-out to draw an ISO, the only play in his playbook down the stretch and a fact known to all. Rick Carlisle must have been thinking: "woaa! What play is Kevin drawing up? I am really wondering....not. Come on guys, stop laughing and D up Harden's ass!"

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Exactly right. Right now we have the 14th best record in a league with 30 teams, and that is exactly how we play.