1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do progressives hate to compromise so much ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Nov 6, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I did a social experiment in another thread to gauge how progressives react to the word compromise and my findings reached what I hypothesized..Is this because they lose their identity? Is this similar in ideological fashion to a Nazi accepting interracial marriage ? Is this because progressives believe compromise only pulls them to the center as a moderate?... I guess I can understand that progressives worst fear is not an opposing viewpoint but an acceptance of compromise by not just them but both parties ...
    Sincere question here for those here that see the appeal of a moderate way or is there too much hate, too much division to simply compromise on a belief system...

ps I put a lot of progressives in the ignore trash while taking a dump on them for good measure to get them extra salty so you may see some snarky posts . Please ignore them ...this is about compromise, something that just can’t understand

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No one likes to compromise. It's just something you have to do to get some things done in politics. If you believe strongly that a system is corrupt/broken and sweeping changes are needed, you will be reluctant to accept compromises that merely maintain the status quo. Not sure I'd label myself as a progressive -- I'm willing to compromise to some degree, but the country cannot stay at the same place on some issues indefinitely. And on certain issues (e.g. climate policy) moving too slowly will do irreparable harm.

3. ROXRAN

Exemplary post. Good job , wish more could have the quality here rather than acting juvenile like “go to hell” lol fwiw I don’t agree with the climate change bit but you explained yourself well

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I give you props for being out here and posting while many other on the right are sulking.

Nook, JayGoogle and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

"progressives" will get dusted like trump if they cant compromise like trump couldnt

people acting like its some secret formula..cmon

Corrosion likes this.
  6. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Republicans talking about compromise

Ha!

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Obama tried to compromise. Reached across the aisle, even held a town hall in front of the GOP to discuss a public OPTION. The man tried his ass off using logic and patience and was met with nothing but obstruction.

2016 comes along and the GOP refuses to hear Garlands nomination 8 months before the election. 2020 comes along and they jam ACB in quick as can be to further their agenda and obstruct the progressives.

Republicans are hypocrites plain and simple but ruthlessly effective ones.

Time to take a leaf from their book. **** compromise that’s been tried. It’s time for student loan forgiveness, single payer healthcare, tax increases on the rich and everything else that would actually help the majority of the population and help balance the ridiculous wealth disparity in this country.

rocketsjudoka and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

the irony is hilarious.
    it will be a long while before they realize this approach is dead for them. when they move on from this position and finally act normal they will begin to be taken serious or continue to be ostracized, fringed, voted out ( as has happened here)

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I, for one, don't want either party to hold the White House and Congress majorities, for the most part. I believe this leads to too much progress, too soon, in some cases. Instead, I think these worthless politicians should be forced to reach across the aisle and compromise in order to move the country along in a way that is better representative of the country as a whole. When they do not, they should be shown the door. Unfortunately, they usually are not.

Also, unfortunately, as @durvasa so adeptly pointed out, some issues just can't be dragged out or compromised on. So, there's no right answer. Just that you hope you have people in Washington that are good people, with common decency to do what's right, and people that are not morally corrupt. Unfortunately, those people are hard to find in Washington, lately.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. ROXRAN

@vlaurelio can post videos with no context ...hooray beer !

12. Major

Major Member

Where was your interest in compromise the last 4 years? You only want it now as a means to have influence after losing, rather than as a matter of good policy. Peak hypocrisy and ignorance.

13. ROXRAN

Trump was a nice try , got the win made Hillary go nuts but we need some dynamic person of color to be the next candidate that can relate to people , connect and further the republican ideology that is embraced by so many in this country ...tim Scott 2024 woohoo

14. ROXRAN

I’m about looking to the future and learning from the past, the past is garbage , it’s done ...we are about the here and the now and how to move forward regardless of who’s in the whitehouse. We are all in this together major

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

if repugs can pick a likable guy and take the good stuff of repug side.. do it in a normal way.. they will get a look from me and benefit of doubt the dem 2024 candidate might not.

it cant be a hate monger like trump. they have a base and that is pro life and 2nd amendment. auto 25% of vote..
    im all ears. we shall see what repugs do

16. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

4 years?

More like since the 90's and then really ramping up during the Obama years.

17. ROXRAN

Yea I agree I’m thinking a Tim Scott. A black republican that will inspire others while showing we embrace all is a good start

18. Nook

Nook Member

Progressives will compromise, just not with people that hate democracy.

I am still waiting for when the Republican Party stops becoming willfully ignorant and self serving so I can vote Republican again. Until the **** show needs to be exposed.

IBTL likes this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

i dont think need to "show" anything..
    just dont pick a racist a hole con artist..
    the bar isnt that high in that sense.

dont have a zillion bankruptcies and a ton of baggage. you dont need to be black green anything. be better. if you are going to be anti establishment dont hire all these grifters and hook up your boyz the whole time. dont whistle to racists and somehow think those 10 rednecks vote matter. bill clinton won in ga think of him and get a good american boy. isnt tom brady republican.

surely can think of a ton of people that arent grabbing pussys and owing saudi and russia 400 million and pay 750. doesnt seem like a tall ask here

Nook and Newlin like this.
  20. ROXRAN

I’m not saying it has to be a black republican, but would be nice IMO. But an outsider was a nice try but I feel certain that any future republican president needs to have the political savvy and better temperament