1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do people hate Mooch?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Over the past 5-10 games I have seen, I think Mooch has looked to pass the ball quite a bit . In fact, his stats are what I would expect from a backup PG: 9 pts 5 ast 3 reb. Mooch doesnt turn the ball over a lot either (1.8 TO's per game) which is a godsend on this turnover prone team. I really dont see how he is costing us games or how bringing him in hinders us offensively.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Drew-It seems like our overall offense goes in a funk, the times that Moochie doesn't create something (I will admit he's good at that).

IMO, with Moochie running the offense, it's hit or miss. He will either create easy dunks/shots with his slashing ability. Or, he will dribble around and we are forced to shoot a bad shot before the 24 sec clock expires.

If Moochie can pick up the pace faster when we're on offense, then I will have no problem with him offensively. Also, it seems like we rarely get a fastbreak when he is in at PG.

Defensively, there's not much to say, other than the fact that Moochie is very poor at it.

That being said, Moochie is still useful as a backup. He's just not as good as he was last year IMO.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

we rarely fast break reguardless of who's running the point

we had a grand total of 2 fast break points against GSW who is leading the league in turnovers

I can't tell you what the problem is, you can't say it's Steve rebounding because Jason Kidd rebounds the ball almost as well and you know how he runs the break...

I think we need a veteran guard to show him how to be a pg,
    rather than Moochie his street ball running mate

Avery Johnson? M Jackson?

4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Please delete this mods. Double post.

#24 Scarface, Mar 25, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2002
  5. Scarface

Supporting Member

No I did not forget him. The only guy I forgot on that entire list was Lindsey Hunter. He would be where Greg Anthony is and pushes Mooch to #6. Crisco mentioned a couple of pg's that were better than Moochie but they are starters. Fisher, Best, and McInniss are starting PG's. Like I said earlier Bobby Jackson is averaging 11 ppg and 2 apg on a much better team, that to me doesn't make him a great backup point guard. I want my backup point guard to get better shots for his teamates. Moochie does this.

Jamal Crawford is not even in the same league as Mooch. He is averaging an amazing 2.4 assists per game. I hope you are saying that he will be a better backup point than Mooch in the future.

Kevin Ollie?! He couldn't even muster a career average of 5 assists per game in the CBA. You mean to tell me you think he is better than Moochie?

Look before even mentioning the players go to your TV and watch them play for a couple of games, hopefully then you will know if they start or not. Then go to NBA.com and compare Moochie to all the players you have mentioned. I don't consider scoring a great requirement for a backup point guard, I do however consider assists to be.

So please don't bring up Mooch's contract because how much you get paid don't mean **** when your on the court.

P.S. I used the term hate loosely so if you want to replace it with dislike please do, I have not mixed up sports and emotions.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yeah Best is a starter now, forgot about the trade.

Dunno what I was thinking with Mcinnis. Fisher was battling with Hunter for the starting spot, so I didn't know who to put there, but I'd take both over mooch.

I will bring up the contract because a player who backs up 2 guards who log nearly 40 minutes a game should not be getting that much money. I don't think he is worth the contract he held out for.

I'll give him this ... there are a few teams that I think could use him as a starter ... Detroit, GS(hehe), Denver, Atl, Washington, and maybe Boston, and despite what SA announcers think, there too. And he is pretty good filler throw-in talent in trades, so that makes him a decent commodity for the Rocks.

But imo, the 3 guard lineup is a failure, which makes Mooch expendable and easily replaceable.

7. Scarface

Supporting Member

Ok, but is that a short coming of Moochie or is that the system? The reason that I started this thread was to get a reason why everyone wanted to get rid o' rud....err I mean get rid of Moochie. I just want to know what you are expecting from a backup point guard that Moochie doesn't provide? I agree that Moochie is expendable, but then what backup point guard ain't?

Once again the contract argument is weak as that has nothing to do with on court performance. If you think we should get rid of him because of his contract thats fine, just don't try and say he's not one of the best backup point guards in the league, because he gets a fat contract and you dislike small ball.
    I HATE small ball, but dude unless you haven't noticed we ain't the coaches. Plus who else are we going to put out there? Dan Langhi and Collier absolutely suck, Terrence couldn't hit the broadside of a freaking dinosaur, Oscar is being hidden on the bench so his value doesn't rise in FA and Kenny Smith is too busy working out for his rematch with the n'sank dude. Who do you expect Rudy to play? Cuttino and Francis average 40 something minutes a game.

Believe me I don't think there is a guy/gal on this board that doesn't hate small ball but **** who are we going to put out there? The Rockets are just a bad team its as simple as that.

8. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'd take Avery Johnson over moochie as well
    and i don't think AJ is even as good at this point in his career.
    No 3 guard lineup, but Steve could learn how to be a leader

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Moochie puts up the best stats out of any backup pg in the league.I would say he is the best backup and that he could start for about 1/3 of the teams in the league. Does anyone know what he is averaging starting this year? I'd say about 13 and 8.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'd imagine that Moochie plays more mins than any other backup PG. Factor in also that he has started plenty of games with Francis out, so his stats are skewed.

Moreoever, those stats do not reflect how many times he dribbled our way to bad shots, as well as his piss poor defense.

Stat-wise, he would be among the best backup PGs.

Realistically, he's a Top 10 backup.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The key word is backup! A backup up pg comes along a dime a dozen. Less than what we paid, we could have had Greg Anthony. Hell, we could have kept Damon Jones or give time to Brown. Rick Bronson,Lindsey Hunter guys like that are just as good if not better and make less. How many teams keep backup pg's for 6yrs? The Rockets can look no further than Toronto to see what happens when you put a high dollar on role players. Williams,Williams, and Davis are good role players with Carter being the only star, now that Carter is down, they can't recover. The Rockets are pretty much the same way with Rice,Taylor and everyone else being role players except for Cat and Steve. Once one of them go down, well you see the result. Moochie is a good backup, but thats what he is, a backup pg.