1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do non-wealthy people believe in the "free market"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thadeus, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

chicken butt.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Its ironic that the OP thinks that Adam Smith was a "free market" libertarian economist. He put out a lot of "free market" rhetoric, but when it actually came down to policy, he supported the guild system, quotas, the "just price", and public education.

I think that people support "free markets" because the incentives it provides to market participants produce fewer unintended/perverse consequences than the incentives the state issues when they try to control markets for their purposes (which, throughout history, haven't always been benevolent).

So, in short, people support "free markets" because the government isn't perfect. Often, the government caters their policies to big business instead of what is best for the people. Often, the incentives the state puts forth lead to unintended harmful consequences.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Here's the problem with the free market in a nutshell: we strive for better efficiency, achieve it, and then never trickle it down.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it hard to believe that one isn't considered well off at $250k or "rich" by some people's standards.

If $250k can't get you a life of decent luxury, what does that say for the average hard working American who doesn't even pull in $50k?

one FIFTH of what the $250k guy makes.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well if you've got 10 kids and live in NY $250k isn't much.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you consider 'decent luxury'?

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If that family wanted luxury they shouldn't have had 10 kids.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If you have 10 kids that is factored into your income and it gets reduced to far below $250K.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's subjective but by decent luxury I mean you aren't buying entry level brands only.

Meaning you can afford to buy a $500 watch, a $40k car, a $700K home, etc.

These are all things most making $250K can do as well as support two kids.

10. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

If I made $65,000 per year I would honestly think I had it made. I know for a fact I'd never have to worry, even a kid or two down the road. Would also be 100% secure in having enough in retirement saved up by the time that comes around.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You would be wrong. seriously, 60k doesn't go nearly as far as you think, trust me.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Depends on whether you want the kids to go to college and expect to pay for it.

13. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Considering at the moment my yearly expenditures are under 30k, yes I'm 100% certain I could live even more comfortably if I had 35K to invest in yearly.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you get a mortgage and a kid going to daycare, that's a whole chunk of your 60k.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

WTF? Ok....you can make that bartending....

DD

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lets do some very simple math. Suppose you bar tend 365 days a year.
    65000/365=178.082. Suppose that bar tenders make money from 9-2am so that works out 35 dollars an hour. Given that the tips are shared among all staff this seems like the high end but maybe possible. But really the effective days you will get a crowd is thursday, friday, and saturday. Now take 65000/(52*3) now we have 417. Which works to about 80 bucks an hour. Tips are usually shared among the entire wait staff so 80 dollars an hour is highly unlikely.

I know you are probably a rich dude, but the problem with most rich people is that they think it worked for me it must work for everyone else. The truth is it isn't. Everyone can't be rich otherwise you wouldn't be considered rich.

1 person likes this.
  17. Vivid

Vivid Member

??? "invisible hand" in economics equals self-regulation, which is diminished with stronger government influence.

18. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

i had always assumed that you were on the high intelligence side, but after reading that bartenders make 65k+ i have to seriously revisit that thought.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe bartenders who make drinks for the whales in Vegas

20. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

You can always find those rare examples but they are very much the exception to the rule.