1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do I keep watching Rockets games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by darin1998, Jan 27, 2003.

1. darin1998

darin1998 Member

I've been wondering why I feel compelled to watch Rockets games. At the beginning of the season I was so excited and since then I have been royally frustrated with the volatility of this team's play. Unfortuantely, I continue to watch each game wishing and hoping we at least play better team-oriented basketball. I've even started to get the frustration headaches that I once had during the early to mod 90's when Rockets would play Sonics with their damn illegal D and Jazz with all their flopping and phantom fouls. Can anyone explain my masochistic tendancy? Am I alone?

2. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

You're alone as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy watching this team. NBA.com had a poll over the summer on which teams were the most exciting to watch and the Rockets were ranked #5 at most-liked to watch teams in the league. They're a fun team and what makes it even better is watching them learn. It's not going to be an overnight thing. It'll take time once everyone is use to playing with each other. It's halftime of the Grizz/Rocks game now and in my opinion they're distributing the ball to each other alot better. Hawkin's has made 2 threes because of them moving the ball unlike the recent games when Mo T or Cat would take a long jumper with someone wide open near the baseline. This is the 2nd youngest team in the NBA. I'm proud of them for hanging in there.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You could always become a Jazz fan. And don't kick the Rockets as you turn off your TV and stopping buy tickets and jump off the bandwagon.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You watch because you ARE a die-hard fan.

Welcome to the "house of pain."

5. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

LMFAO

6. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Why don't you watch the Detroit Pistons? They are much more exciting! They have such a good record and have so many superstars! They are so energetic!

Well...I have always been a Rockets fan...AND COMETS...but anyways, I loved the Rockets because of Hakeem and Charles Barkley and Clyde Drexler and all of them. And then they sucked...so I quit watching. Now Yao Ming is here...and we are the big story...so I watch it! Don't be so pessimistic! We shall succeed! Patience!

By the way, did Randy Livingston ever play with Matt Bullard? Now they are on the same team...New Orleans Hornets. :)

7. DavidS

I don't remember prior to 1976.

But, to me, the worst years were 88-91; Hakeem almost got traded.

And yes, Bull and Randy played together. But, Randy was always hurt (both knees).

#7 DavidS, Jan 27, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  8. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Okay...well I didn't know how to watch television in 1988.

9. darin1998

darin1998 Member

heypartner,

Would you please clarify you comments. You don't make sense in my warped world.

HtownRocks3,

I think we're just from different generations and will never understand each other because you just don't get it or me.

DavidS,

Thanks for being the lone sole to understand my pain.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I watch because I'm a fan. Even if they are a last place team for 10 years straight I will be a fan. That's what being a fan is all about. If you want to root for the Kings or the Mavs or whoever your "second favorite team" is, then you're not a real Rockets fan. (I don't even have a second favorite team).

11. theguent

theguent Member

I wish a lot more people remembered this. That was by far the most painful time toever be a Rox fan. That is why I enjoy this team so much more, and why I get frustrated with the trade Francis, trade Mobley, trade Eddie threads. If it was up to these people, Hakeem would have probably been traded during that time. And hindsight shows just how STUPID that would have been.

We (some of us) had faith in Hakeem, and I wish more of us here would have faith in Steve and Cat to come around as well. Good things will happen with them here.

12. feishen

feishen Member

You know what the machintosh lovers are called? Pain lovers, like to be punished

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, don't mind me. I'm just on a roll kicking Rockets fans when they're down. You know, like how the hecklers kick the Rockets when they're down.

It's my new hobby. Kinda makes the game and the bbs more fun.

14. DavidS

Just so you know, you are being bashed because you are threatening to be a "bandwagon fan," i.e. stop watching games because they aren't doing well.

That's a no-no in here. We already have enough of those in Houston.

That why I encourage you to be DIE HARD!
    ;)

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

At least Yao Ming is helping to keep the hope alive (for me) as far as the Rox are concerned.

Anyway I guess I have no where to go because I a Houtonian so I am stuck with the Rox, Astro, Comets, Toros and Texan.

16. darin1998

darin1998 Member

heypartner,

hehe! you make me laugh. keep up the work!

DavidS,

Two words: "frustration headaches" I think that tells my story...

17. DavidS

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, those years were bad. That's when I started really being a Rockets fan. I even remember having an argument over who was better- Hakeem or Pippen. I was really pro-Hakeem, but Pippen was starting to get really good. Looking back, I think I won that argument, LOL.

Remember Buck Johnson? I think the Rockets have a history of mediocre small forwards...at least until we got Posey.

19. DavidS

I thought Buck was going to be a very good player. But he faded.

Sleepy Floyd ended up being our best guard of the late 80's. But he faded too.

It seems like a buch of our guards/fowards only played for 4-5 years and then they were out of the league....