1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do I keep hearing this team isn't good enough with Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smuduffy, Mar 19, 2010.

1. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

I keep hearing on sports radio and in here that the current team, with the addition of Yao next year, is NOT a Championship contender, just another playoff team. I'm a bit confounded by this. If you look at our team, I see depth at every position and I see a Championship contender.

Your starting 5 next year is:
    1. Brooks (who keeps getting better, including assist-wise, and is also very underappreciated as the latest whipping boy),
    2. K.Martin (who has the outside shot and the driving/getting fouls called that we need)
    3. Ariza (who is perfect for the role of defensive and 4th/5th scorer, esp. since he can hit the 3)
    4. Scola (he's going crazy right now, but next year I'm happy with close to 15/10).
    5. Yao (limit his minutes to keep him fresh, hopefully this is the year they listen!)

And then your bench of Lowry (essential), Battier, Budinger, Hill, Hayes/Jeffries

That is a team of:
    - potential (Brooks/Lowry/Budinger/Hill/Ariza all are still getting better and better),
    - experience (Scola/Martin/Yao/Battier/Hayes/Jeffries), and
    - scoring: you have 6 players that are all capable of 15+ a night (Yao/Martin/Scola/Brooks/Lowry/Ariza...maybe not every night for these guys, but it helps prevent droughts).

With Yao back and Jordan Hill getting better over the summer, you have height finally. Having Jeffries on the roster as essentially an 11th man is not a bad place to be. Thats a very deep squad, has scorers at all starting positions, and has defense. I don't even know where a rookie would fit on this squad.

Everyone loves to talk about how good this team plays together, but then discounts them as a contender when you add Yao, as if they need something else. What else are you going to add to this team without making weaknesses in other areas? I've been waiting for that wing scorer to be added to this team and we finally have that, so I'm looking forward to championship contention next year. With Les financially committed to keeping this contender together, I'm excited to finally get a chance to see that victory parade that I missed 2 times, when I was inexplicably out of town during both championships! (once, i didnt even get to watch the game because of fricking OJ! Never understood why I couldnt just have OJ driving in a small corner of the screen while I watched the game, instead of no game at all, while I was in North Carolina.)

Go Rockets! Keep the team together next year and lets see where we are at the trade deadline (we'll have some contracts to trade at that point, if we still need some extra fire power).

2 people like this.
  2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think we'll be right there on a short list of 4, maybe 5 teams that could win it all.

Rockets
    Lakers
    Cavs (assuming Lebron stays)
    Magic
    Blazers (my maybe team)

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Because, right now, this team goes through some long periods where they really struggle to score. While getting Yao may help that a little bit, we really don't know how well he's going to play after the injury.

And if we're forced to give Yao more rest... then we're still going to have those periods where we're scoreless.

Not to mention, when Yao is sitting, this team would struggle defensively.

That's why the Rockets need to get a backup Center that can defend the paint. Also, I think this team needs one more legitimate scorer off the bench. I'm not sure who all the free agents are, but if this team can get one more scoring wing player to come off the bench, I think we'll finally have that legitimate contender status.

4. Majinalchemy

Majinalchemy Member

Plus I doubt that will be the starting lineup as Morey basically said we will not be able to recognize our roster next year. I forgot the quote but it was RT'd by clutch about being active in trade then FA.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Those struggles have coincided with good shooters missing good shots that they get within the flow of the offense, or turnovers. Or both. Like Adelman said in a press conference the other day, "If Jimmy doesn't hit the shot, Gene Hackman doesn't look like a genius."

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

I don't think Yao "really" fits in Addleman's system. Sure Addleman can make a team out of anything, but that team will be totally different from this team.

7. Prince

Prince Member

this team is capable of winning without Yao. But having Yao may help us if we can adjust easily next year.

8. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yao fit just fine last year. It should be even better if you consider you are swapping Martin for Artest, Ariza for Battier, a more experienced and confident Brooks, and an improved Scola. When Yao goes to the bench you can bring in Hill, Bud, and Lowry and change the tempo. Or you can run n gun with the Martin/Brooks/Scola combo.

9. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

I think this team + Yao looks fantastic but, and I dunno why, I get feel of a soft defensive team with that starting line up. IMO, put Battier in the starting lineup and he'll bring a fantastic defensive atmosphere.

Of course I am being knee jerk with Ariza, let's give him to the end of the season to see how he gels with Martin. Adelman has molded Ariza into this offense first mindset and I'm of the opinion that that would be better coming off the bench. Lowry, Hill/DA/Hayes, Bud, Battier is a pretty weak bench offensively. Ariza would fit perfectly in that group.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If Yao is healthy this team is good enough to win it all.

DD

11. anchel

anchel Member

- Not elite defensive potential.
    - Not elite inside presence.
    - Still little experience (not if we play a playoffs series).

Add a Cole Aldrich and maybe we are good enough.

12. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

hah, i totally forgot about DA (I'm assuming he isn't back next year though, related to a draft trade perhaps).

I think you underestimate Yao. Given Big Z was able to come back from this and its not totally new territory, I expect he will come back well. I don't care if he's there at the start of the season, as long as they get him ready fror the playoffs next year.

Yao is such a good shooter that the droughts we go through will be minimalized. You are talking about adding a 20/10 guy to this roster. I think the dynamic of having him with Martin, Brooks and Scola is gonna be scary for alot of teams. Any of those guys can score on their own and you don't want to drop off of. And, if you stop them, then yeah go ahead and kick it out to Ariza for the 3 :)

This team plays well with Yao and I think they will figure out how to integrate him in again. I just think he will add such a different dynamic to this team, both offensively and defensively that it will be a very tough team to beat.

13. MandM's

MandM's Member

Because the Yao of next year will not be the Yao of last year when he comes back.

It will take him at least a season to get his body ready. He has not played in a whole year.

And if you watched any of the videos here on ilgasgus....which is the only other active big guy to have a surgery like yao's....it took him 2 years of work.

lower minutes,days off etc.

we need another piece and or we will be more serious contenders (with Yao) the season after next. assuming he can stay healthy during next season

14. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Prediction...Yao comes back healthy and picks up where he left off when we make the playoffs next season.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xa6AEtNj3kc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xa6AEtNj3kc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

And that video was with a hurt foot which was eventually discovered to be broken.

Yeah, if he comes back like that, we are golden.

DD

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think this team with Yao is almost good enough to win it all but I feel like we need a little more scoring off the bench. I don't really think we have to trade for a Bosh or Amare to be considered a contender though. If we could convince Manu to come play with Scola I think we would have to be considered one of the top 3 teams in the league next year. Throw in Camby coming here to play near home and I think we are the favorites if Yao can stay on the court.

17. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

That's right, I tend to forget that his foot was hurt then. I thought he didn't hurt it until the Lakers series.
    Agree 100%

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Not sure when it officially broke but it was bothering him at the end of the season and he sat out the Chicago game because of it.

I suspect it was already hurt in a minor way and playing only made it worse.

DD

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

He broke it in Game 3 of the Lakers series.

20. Hball

Hball Member

I think it dependes on how well we improve defensively with yao in the middle, right now were just a offensive minded team.

In which defensive minded teams are the ones that win championships (celtics,pistons,spurs,Lakers)