1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do Houstonians hate Dallas and people from Dallas hate Houstonians?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Chuck_Ferrari, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The cities are very similar. Dallas has zoning , but in reality they are similar cities. You drive and you see concrete everywhere. I guess there are fewer random strip malls everywhere. If you go out to midtown the people are just as douchie as in Dallas. Its just we happen to grow up in Houston and they in Dallas so we are programmed to hate each other.

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Said this on CF before but;

Dallas is the stuck-up chick that won't speak to you

Austin is the party chick everyone loves

And Houston is the sort of over weight girl with the great personality.

It's obvious there's some hate H>D due to the number of SB rings/appearances, that was somewhat offset by 94/95 and partial negated by the mavs title..

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Who gives better BJs?

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GREAT!

Although you forgot to mention how relationships improved in the 13th C. when both cities when a horde of barbarians rode out from the wastelands of Oklahoma and Kansas led by the Jayhawksooner to conquer much of North Texas and even as far south the outskirts of the city state of Austin. Austin which was a nominally under Houston Suzereignity appealed to Houston to defend it. Prince Stephen the First of his Name ruler of Austin convinced the Earl of Cureton regent to Tabak the Second of Houston to take on the Jayhawsooner horde and also ally with the Holy Metroplex still holding out against the horde. The Houston, Austin forces with the aid of the Principate of Saan Aantonio defeated the Jaywhawksooners in the battle of Round Rock in 1253 and then pressed on to relieve the siege of Plano. Combined Texas forces pushed the horde back to north of the Red River bringing peace and Texas unity for almost a 100 years.

It was ended when Kublai Switzer once again united the disparate Khanites of Oklahoma, Kansas and even as far north as Nebraska and swept out of the north to capture North Texas in 1250. He established a new Oklahoma - Texas dynasty out of his capital in Irving that although lasted only a few generations left a lasting impression in the Dallas area. Since then Houstonians have never fully trusted Dallas seeing it as never completely rid of the Switzer Dynasty and to this day still refer derisively to Dallas as 'South Oklahoma."

1 person likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's called "inter-state rivalry".

Happens in every state with 2 dominant cities

6. Buck Turgidson

This, there's not a huge difference between the cities outside of that - recreation, arts, entertainment, weather, etc... Houston has better, definitely more varied, food though.

As was mentioned, Fort Worth is great.

7. SeabrookMiglla

i like the city of dallas itself which is very nice, good climate, good infrastructure life etc. i think dallas has had the reputation of the 30,000$-millionaire/yuppee/super-rich suburban people pretensious feel to it. whereas houston has always been a hot-grimey industrial worker-bee town. people in houston are all about working and making the green. they dont really care too much for their appearance or status etc. houston life revolves around work, family, and eating. whereas dallas is more who-you-know kind of town, appearance and status oriented. when i see family from dallas and houston get together, the contrast is clear in this regard. at least from my observation... in the end we're all texans though... when you go to another state texans, are well, texans.

with downtown changing over the years, houston has definitely become more ritzy. especially in the downtown mid town areas. but still not to the extent of dallas which has a lot of texas money there... as far as austin... well, austin is not weird anymore. the rich frat-bro culture totally won out over the liberal-hippy culture in austin.

havent been to san antonio in awhile though, its always had a wierd kind of country home feel to it...

8. SeabrookMiglla

oh yeah i forgot to mention. people from houston are sarcastic, dark humored, and in general kind of negative in personality... always noticed people from houston have a very dark sense of humor, people from houston catch on to one another's sarcasm very well. im not sure if this dark sense of humor is a southern trait in general though...

9. cml750

cml750 Member

I am from the Beaumont area and like people from both areas. Perhaps it is the competitive nature of people but I do believe sports have a lot to do with it. The overall success of the Dallas Cowboys since their founding in 1960 and their self branded label of being "America's Team" turns a lot of people off. Neither the Oilers or the Texans have had anywhere close to the level of success as the Cowboys.

I admit I am a Cowboys fan and have been since I can remember, even before I became a Rockets fan. I do not like the Texans and did not like the Oilers but I never held it against the people of Houston. I believe some do hold that grudge against the towns the sports teams represent. Heck, I know I think less of Salt Lake City because the Jazz play there!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

lots of anglo saxon in dallas. chump ratio remarkably high. no trees in dallas.

overall I think the women are better in dallas. that really is its only redeeming quality.

I lived there for a while. very boring place with boring people. dallas is olive garden. not terrible but olive garden.

their dry county scene was a joke not sure if thats still around.

its like office space with bennin
    bennigans type places everywhere and feels like office space movie.

boring

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Intrastate.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Perfect way to put it. I just saw an article that had Dallas as the #8 rudest city in the USA, and Houston ranked #2 in the Friendliest.

*Fort Worth, San Antonio also made the friendliest cities list.

Rudest cities in America List: http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-places/rudest-cities#dallas

Friendliest cities in America: http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-places/friendliest-cities#san-antonio

13. Nook

Nook Member

Blake Shelton

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Houston loves Dallas -- in fact Houston named their football team after the famous Dallas Texans.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Back and to the left...back and to the left...

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Isn't Dallas more redneckish and intolerant than Houston? I look up the demographics and hate crimes and Dallas seems to fit this description more.

17. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I always felt like it was the opposite. I grew up not hating on Dallas and none of my friends did. I had friends and family there so we visited somewhat frequently. It is when I got older and told someone from Dallas I was from Houston and they responded with "oh I'm sorry" that I began to learn how bitter the rivalry was. I don't like to crap on where someone lives, I don't think it is a cool thing to do. I absolutely love Houston despite its many flaws. I hate when people talk bad about this city, I don't like doing that to other people. Every city has something redeeming about it. I have grown a disdain for the snobbish attitudes of people from Dallas though. I keep it to myself though.

18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Living here, I don't notice it. When I first starting visiting, it did seem like their was a BMW convention going on. (I own a BMW now, but bought it used, just because they are great cars. Was looking at other cars as well, this one was just a better deal).

I live in 'nice' section of Carrollton, which is mostly lower middle class. Lots of people in that $60-$70k a year range, and I would say they live just like any other people in that income bracket.

Dallas gets most of its reputation from the people out of the mainstream middle class. Lower to middle class life here would probably be just exactly like it would be in Houston.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Dallas has my sympathy today.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

-Chandler Parsons