1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do Houston and Dallas hate each other so much?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Mine stems from hearing relatives from the area badmouth Houston when I was growing up. Hell, pretty much everyone used to badmouth Houston anytime I was out of the city and mentioned to people that was where I'm from. I'd ask them "what about Dallas?" "Oh, Dallas is great". I'd **** punt them and move on. That's one of the reasons I hate Dallas. Aesthetically, traffic-wise and weather-wise, there's not much of a difference (well, we have a lot more trees), but the people, on the whole, suck ass.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Long live the APEX windbreaker. Buddy Ryan rocked it like a boss.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

you don't know what you're talking about

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

As much as I dislike that fat b*stard, I gotta say that the defense he put together that year was freakin badass until they melted down along with him.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Or that Houston really is the bigger city, while DFW is a combination of cities. You have Dallas and Fort Worth, each major cities with their own suburbs. Meanwhile Houston is big by itself and there are only Houston suburbs. This is why even though DFW is larger overall in population, Houston feels like the bigger and faster paced city.

I lived six years in DFW. its a cool place but Houston is better. less pretentious and a more chill vibe than the "keep up with the Jones's' feel of dfw. Houston has been international longer than dfw has, so that culture is more entrinched into the vibe of the city than in dfw, with a lot of its new diversity in the past fifteen to twenty years. dfw being so divided into a bunch of different cities does mean there is more local control. so there are more sidewalks, simply things like right turn yields, and less driveways into shopping center. on the flip side, the unplanned, no zoning nature of most of the Houston area makes things more convenient.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I believe they had that bum Jim Eddy who was made the scapegoat for the Buffalo debacle.

Ryan's 46 Defense was solid but too predictable for a smart QB like Joe Montana. He easily picked it apart.

7. Scarface281

After having lived in dfw, I will say this is completely false. People up there call Houston the armpit of Texas. I had two teachers joke about that one time.

8. Scarface281

He is 100% correct. Youre the one who may be confused here. Anyone who has been to the Bay Area or LA knows that you can't separate SF/O and San Jose or LA/OC with the Inland Empire. They are all one area only separated by kinda weird Census commuting pattern criteria. Dallas and Fort Worth are the same way. Two different cities that grew up together. The IE is really just the suburban extension of LA so its different than the other areas like dfw, bay area, twin cities, etc.

9. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

How so? All of the places I mentioned are obviously distinct cities/regions but at the same time function as one city. They even share the same media markets (particularly TV) for crying out loud.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

ah yes I thought he was arguing something else. Dallas and Ft Worth are clearly in the same metro area.

11. arjun

arjun Member

i live in dallas.

I, with a passion, hate the dallas blue..i hate the mavs and i hate the boys

I BLEED RED...rockets red. till i die.

silly? maybe...but thats passion.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Can we talk about how overrated Austin is?

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not going to pretend to have a lot of civic pride, but it drives me crazy that when a national media organization shows those maps of the US for weather or whatever other thing it may be, Houston isn't shown. It's always Austin (I get it, capital of the state) and Dallas! Dallas? Then if they add a third city it is usually San Antonio!

No respect I tell ya!

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's only better if you can afford it. I dunno how people can afford standalone rent there.

Offtopic, the weather is diff in Oakland. that's already a big diff between the two cities.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Native Houstonian. Went to college in FW and lived in Dallas from age 27-29.

Dallas is a prettier city and has better looking women. Less traffic. Much smaller geographically. The people are snobbish and douchey.

Houston people are much more laid back and the city has improved vastly over the last 10 years from an aesthetics standpoint.

Fort Worth is 5x better than both cities, though.

But Houston is home.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'm sure it depends on who you interact with.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Having lived in Houston for about 24-25 years and the DFW area for about 15 years, I'd have to agree. I mention to people that I used to live in Houston and usually it's something like "oh wow, it's humid down there", and that's about it. Of course, the people I deal with in Dallas are probably older than the ones that I deal with on this forum. I honestly wouldn't think there is any kind of rivalry from living in Dallas. Then you come on here and it's like there's some kind of Boston/New York baseball rivalry or something.

I think some of it has to do with the fact when I was growing up, Dallas was "America's Team" and winning rings right and left or at least competing for rings. Around the same time the world was introduced to the city of Dallas (or so they thought) by the show "Dallas". Meanwhile, Houston, the larger city, had NASA in the 60's and early 70's and all that glory was fading fast, had no real tradition of winning in sports, etc.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Juneau, Alaska and Jacksonville, Florida are far bigger than Houston.
    Karachi, Pakistan probably has 5-10 times the population of Houston.

NOW WHAT? :grin:

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sure. But all the great bbq joints are around there so Austin > (Dallas + Houston)

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I always felt that Dallas people were snobs and that they wanted to be a northern city so bad like Chicago or New York. Because of said opinion, I highly dislike Dallas. That and the Mavs, Cowboys, Rangers, and Stars suck dick. Dont care about FC Dallas much neither.