1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do fans/media LOVE turning players into endurers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chronz, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Chronz

Chronz Member

You hear it all the damn time, so and so is finally getting "IT". Any time the Lakers were doing good it was because Kobe was trusting his teammates, whenever they were doing bad, it was Kobe NEEDS to trust his teammates. In a span of 6 years I dont think Ive ever seen a player flip flop so many times between both more than Kobe.

Even the Legends get caught up in it, Magic said it about MJ and he said it about Kobe. The absolute worst case had to be Marbury, back in his loser Net/Early Suns days he was usually looked at in a negative light, I know I know, he still is. But there was a brief moment in time where people were actually starting the "Hes got his head on right" now talk. No surprise it came when the Suns were back in the playoff mix and pushing the eventual champs to the limit.

The shining moment? When the media started telling Marbury about the articles and asking him what hes doing differently now. Im not sure of the exact words but they were something along the lines of "NOTHING, my teammates are just better".

THATS IT, THANK YOU MARBURY

Thats not to say its never happens, but I think people get too caught up in that talk, choosing not to focus on what truly decides games, the teams level of talent and performance.

Kobe knows how to win, and has ALWAYS known how to win. Him not trusting his teammates got the Lakers into the playoffs, and most definitely did not hold his team back. So why is it that people like to make it seem like he underwent some historical transformation that all great players must go through. Whats with this enduring and learning bs, BASKETBALL IS A GAME WHERE YOU PUT A BALL THROUGH A HOOP. It doesnt take a genius to figure out who you can trust to help you accomplish that goal.

2. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I agree with you to a certain extent. I agree that the media literally just makes up stuff sometimes about guys "trusting their teammates" or "getting It" when a team starts winning.

I think you are underestimating the leadership aspect of being the franchise player. In addition to their production on the court, your best player should be setting an example for what is/isn't acceptable for your other players in terms of work habits, dealing with conflicts, etc. They are also responsible for getting everyone on the same page and making sure everyone is focused.

That's an area I think Kobe has improved upon dramatically. I don't think he's "buddies" with all the guys on his team now but he certainly isn't as aloof as he was during the Shaq era.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I like to turn them into enduros.