1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Do A Lot Of People Still Think That Francis Is A Gunner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caboose, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Fuse

Fuse Member

Now let's not get over excited. We still need to stay grounded, especially with the way things went the past few years.

But I am cautiously optmistic :D

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People have an insane irrational hatred of Steve Francis.
    They will lie and make up stuff or just blurt out crazy stuff

Hang around here long enough . .you get use to it.

Rocket River

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So Yao's Shots per game SKYROCKETED after Steve's Departure?

Rocket River

4. weslinder

weslinder Member

I did a search for Francis + Gunner, and I came up with this gem. I thought you'd enjoy it.

5. BBall Scientist

The team still needed a 3rd scorer. Mike James and Luis Scola were certainly nice additions in scoring, but ideally they are probably not really the third scorer in the west playoffs, Francis really truly is a third scorer.

Yeah he wasn't good enough in Houston as either the first or second guy, but as the third guy with two first option guys like Yao and McGrady, he EASILY can handle the third scoring role.

Yao/Scola//T-mac will run most of the offense I would suspect anyway, so that also helps Steve because he can focus more on finishing.

The Rockets really needed a guy that could get them 15/6/6 and do it with some efficiency. They finally have a true third scorer that is a 15 point guy in a western conference playoff series and in Adelman's system it will actually help a lot of Francis' weaknesses.

6. bbjai

bbjai Member

I personally think we are hedging our bets with Bonzi or Francis. I just want him to pass the ball more god damn it. We got two point guards not who don't really pass James and Francis. The point guard who CAN pass can't shoot

brilliant

7. chinkman85

chinkman85 Member

No, but his touches did. Steve Francis is one of the worst post entry passers at his position, which isn't good on a team whose dominant center should be touching the ball AT LEAST every other posession.

I don't think Steve necessarily shoots too much, but I'd rather have a player--especially my point guard--shoot 15 QUALITY shots rather than 10 awful ones, as Francis is prone to doing.

If he learns to give up the ball and play in the flow of the offense, limiting his attempts to open shots and quick cuts to the basket--which should be his specialty rather than breaking down the D from the top of the key--we're looking at a good option on a great team.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have heard this also.

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Because they're idiots who can't let go of impressions formed five years ago.

Francis is the purest PG we have on our team AND can score when we need him to. But he is by no means selfish or a And1-wannabe that people used to always accuse him of being. He wants to win, and he's going to do it the best way he can.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He was held onto the ball when he used to play for the rockets because that team sucked ass. Who else would you have prefered. shooting? Moochie? Mo Taylor? Kelvin Cato? He ha d a team full of players that are not longer even in the NBA. He and Cat were the only 2 capable players on that team.

11. bigboi

bigboi Member

When steve was here Yao was not a dominant center and was reluctant to shoot, ending up with the ball in francis hands and the clock running down, which I admit to often ended up in a turnover or bad shot. But all of that is not steves fault.

But do not let the facts get in the way of your rant.

12. chinkman85

chinkman85 Member

Francis started every play with the ball, and often ended every play with the ball.

Besides, I was talking about this year. Once again Francis found himself playing with an offensively talented center in Eddy Curry and consistently was unable to make the entry pass.

It's not just a mindset problem, it's also a problem with ability. He better work on that aspect of his game.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is awesome, looks like that poster was right on the money.....about that team. And as usual WAY ahead of the curve and timeline. Visionaries are often ridiculed.

;)

However the difference between then and now, is that Steve is not being asked to carry the team and is coming back to a team as a role player on a very low contract.

And, hopefully he has matured as a player and will fit into the team as such, and if not, both the Rockets and Francis can move on with very little risk.

So, to recap, different team, different role, different contract = different situation.

DD

#33 DaDakota, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  14. FriendofEarth

FriendofEarth Member

exactly! when i look at the make up of the stevie cuttino teams i'm just blown away by the lack of talent we had. did i really buy into what the rockets were selling back then and think that team had a chance to make a run??? it's incredible how much better we've gotten in a relatively short time.

i think we're going to see a different player than the one we were used to. stevie should be a perfect fit here, especially if he's ready to put aside his personal goals and focus on winning. i for one believe his time in orlando and new york has really humbled the guy and we're going to see a system that really plays to stevie's strengths.

never been so excited about an offseason before. was debating whether i should get season tickets this year, but i think the last week has cemented that. it's going to be fun to be at toyota center this year

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Are you sure that's how you spell Francis?

16. bigboi

bigboi Member

And let the spin begin, of course you were talking about this year when Francis was injured and was the 3rd guard on that team, I got ya ;)