1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHY DIDNT EG START?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EGRULES, Dec 28, 2001.

1. EGRULES

EGRULES Member

He obviously deserves the starting spot. Kenny is good and all but EG deserves the start! PUT:

Cato
    Kenny
    EG
    Mobes
    Mooch

2. pooh222

pooh222 Member

That's exactly what I was wondering. EG looks better starting. When he comes off the bench, he tends to press a lot. Rudy felt the need to pacify Thomas because he was angry the last game over not starting. So what if Thomas was angry. You go with your best player. Thomas is having an okay first half, but EG brings more of a presence overall.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing(about EG getting in the flow better as a starter), but KT has proved himself as a starter and displayed it again tonight getting off to a quick start. Rudy definitely has a tough decision ahead in regards to EG and KT.

4. napster

napster Member

KG..uh I mean EG should start!

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

And not Francis? :confused:

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There was talk that KT was supremely PISSED that he did not start. He wants to start and get his minutes. There was the thought that they might play EG and KT together but the Rocks aren't sold on playing them at the same time. It, apparently, creates some spacing problems.

I gotta imagine that the better EG gets, the more it is going to force the Rocks to make decisions on who to play that won't be particularly comfortable or easy.

7. treeman

treeman Member

That's one problem I don't mind having. :)

8. EZEsYourDaddy

EZEsYourDaddy Member

I could really care less if KT is pissed or not! I would much rather do what's best for the team and what's best for one of our franchise players in EG! I doesn't take a genius to figure out that he isn't in as good of a rhythm coming off of the bench as he is starting!! Rudy is blind if he can't see that....and I like KT but he shouldn't be complaining about anything!!

9. EZEsYourDaddy

EZEsYourDaddy Member

I actually liked what Rudy did with Eddie and KT tonight minute wise having them pretty even....but he has to start Eddie and have KT come off of the bench! I think that would make Eddie comfortable and give us some good scoring off of the bench!

10. treeman

treeman Member

Rudy doesn't have to do anything. If he wants Kenny to start, then Kenny will start. I have no problem with that, myself. Eddie's got the goods to take that starting position away from KT, but until he gets a little more consistent I wouldn't count on it happening.

11. dream_team

dream_team Member

i'm going to disagree with everyone on here... but I like what Rudy T did today. Having EG come off the bench, but still get his minutes.

One of houston's big weaknesses is a big physical presence inside. KT is more physical than EG... and it was evident. Fortson was easily pushing EG around, causing EG to get into foul trouble.

You guys know that Rudy T doesn't always put the best players out on the court, he tries to find the best combination... just like Kenny Smith started in front of Cassell. and shandon started in front of Mobley.

I want to see Eddie play as much as anybody in this BBS, but I'd rather see KT at PF right now.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I guess I don't understand why the Wizard started over Eddie.

KT has played outstanding and he deserves to keep his starting spot, but EG has shown that he is a special player.

However, what is the big crime in having Eddie play the 3 spot and kenny the 4 spot? I'm sorry but that spacing argument is weak at best.

Or better yet, put Eddie at the 5, KT at the 4, and have either Walt or Oscar at the 3.

There's no excuse for not having Kenny and EG starting together.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If you noticed, EG got quite a bit of minutes tonight at the 5. I get the sense, with his shot blocking abilities and the rather weak centers in the NBA, he'll get more minutes there as a way to keep him on the floor.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Also, KT and EG play well together but only if KT has a mismatch. When EG is on the floor at one of the forward spots, teams usually line up their big forward, defensively, on EG because of the size and strength issue. KT is not a traditional post up player - he likes to ISO and face up more than anything. If he is guarded by a smaller player, he loses his quickness advantage.

Most of KT's points come on hustle plays and out-quicking his man. Putting him against a 3, especially if it is Jamison, takes away that advantage. That's, I think, why we saw Griffin more at the 5 tonight than at the 3/4. It still allowed KT to play and match up with the 4's, but it kept EG on the floor to defend and rebound.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't think Eddie will be a good 3. He's a natural 4/5. I don't think Eddie could guard too many 3's in this league, it just doesn't seem like hes quick enough. Besides we need him near the basket - 5 blocks! :eek:

-LTF

16. pooh222

pooh222 Member

The argument to play kenny and EG together is a good one and all, but haven't any of ya'll noticed that when both are on the floor, kenny never passes to EG under any circumstances. In a way, it seems that kenny is envious of EG. That kind of selfishness will not work. I would love kenny coming of the bench because I think that's what he is a good reserve player. We will not go far in the West with Kenny being in the starting front court or Cato for that matter, but that's a different story. Anyway, let the kid start. He is legit and needs to be in that starting lineup.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eddie seems more comfortable starting. Eddie played a lot of minutes at the 5 today, and Cato seems to be starting there only in name...I can't understand Rudy for the life of me. Eddie says his future role is as the 3, probably with Rudy's knowledge, and now he's logging major minutes at the 5? I'd prefer him as a 5/4 than a 3/4. But, if his future's as the 5/4, why isn't he getting more than 1 post up a game?

Eddie took 7 shots, but maybe only 3 of them were scoring oppurtunities. The defense isn't rotating off him on the pick, so Eddie can be credited for opening up the inside, allowing Moochie to waltz in as many times as he did.

Cat waved off Eddie when Eddie was posting up shrimp guard Bobby Sura, that was dissapointing.

Eddie got a lot of poor calls on the defensive end. That Larry Hughes would be block looked clean to me. He had several other very questionable calls as well.

I'd also like to point out that neither Kenny nor Eddie has logged a single minute (that I've seen) as the actual 3 on the floor. I wouldn't expect Rudy to suddenly start throwing KT, EG, and Cato as the front line together for large minutes all of a sudden.

Jeff-From what you heard, was KT angry upset, or motivated upset? If he was sour, I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved near the deadline to help acquire a piece that fits long term, or to rearrange our cap situation.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What I've noticed is that no one likes to pass to Eddie. There were several times when he was open going to the basket or just standing under the basket calling for the ball. There was one play in perticular that irritated me: There was a fast break with Mooch pushing the ball and walt was on the left with defenders and Eddie was all alone going twords the basket on the other side with no defenders and Mooch passes to Walt for the miss. Eddie seems to be a last resort for the other players.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Funny you mention that. I thought the same thing on a number of occassions but I'm not sure it is selfishness or jealousy. I think it may just be that the team is young. They'd rather make the spectacular play than the easy one and that gets them into trouble sometimes.

KT is not much of a passer anyway. He tends to shoot it unless he just has no other option, but his footwork is so good that he is usually in a position to take the shot after he makes his move. The only problem is that his shots aren't always the highest percentage you'd like. If there is a BETTER shot, you want that one, but KT was awesome tonight.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't know for sure, but I have to believe it is because Griffin is just not that strong. When he posts up, he almost always uses that turnaround with a slight fade. He just doesn't have the bulk to push on bigger players yet. That will come with time in the weight room. I also don't believe he has many low post moves. I know they are working with him, but he is so young, he never really developed the footwork because his athleticism was enough to overpower players in high school and college.

I agree wholeheartedly. His presence on the floor makes a big difference which is why I think he is getting so many minutes at 5. He just doesn't seem quick enough for the 3 at this point but his shot blocking ability makes up for his lack of bulk allowing him to play some 5 without too much of a problem against teams like GS.

Totally agree. I doubt we'll see that line up at all or only in very limited moments. I think we are much more likely to see EG, KT and Williams/Rice/Torres. Also, I think this is an example of why the Rockets felt like Taylor and EG together could work. Taylor, while not a great defender, has the size that KT doesn't and just as good an offensive touch. Running Taylor, Griffin, Williams/Rice/Torres out there or even Mobley with a small lineup including Moochie and Francis would seem to be a seriously run and gun team.

If Morris is ever able to get out of his rookie funk, a front line of Taylor, Griffin and Morris could be tough because of Morris' size, rebounding and shot blocking ability. If you have all that help, you don't have to have a legit center on the floor at all times, especially in this center-deficient league.

I don't know if it was that serious, but KT was upset that he didn't immediately go back into the starting lineup when he was healthy. Rudy, I think, was just trying to go with what had been working realizing that EG was playing well as a starter, but it didn't go over well with KT.

Honestly, KT is a guy I could see as trade bait if not this season, certainly in the offseason. He will be in the last year of a relatively small contract and he is playing very well despite his size. If the Rockets feel like Taylor will be back at full strength and there is a glut at forward, I could see KT as part of a deal, though I have absolutely no reason to think the Rocks have any interest in that at all.