1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Didn’t Silas Give Queen A Shot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 22, 2022.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Well, Queen is 25 years old. He’s considered a “young prospect”, but really he should be entering the prime of his career. He’ll turn 26 during his next season. He’s probably not far off from being about as good as he’ll ever be.

Jalen Green, Christopher, and Nix, are all 20 years old. Sengun is only 19. They are a full 5 and 6 years younger than Queen.

Imagine how much better those guys will be 5 and 6 years from now…

PatBev and pmac like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you cant be serious ...not playing much and not utilizing correctly his best and most efficient player, alperen sengun, while trying to win?
    if so hes more stupid than we thought...

pls yall dont try to come up with stamina or fouling excuse because both were heavily disproved long time ago....

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so fitting a description for Silas...hes lazy.....

4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Per Stone in a recent interview, he doesn’t tell Silas who to play. Believe Silas was playing vets at the expense of our future until the end of the season because he felt he had to save his job. Can’t blame him for that but it was stupid and cost us some good evaluation time with Queen and others. Wonder if Fernando is any good too…played great in the few minutes he was given at the very end of tanked season. Would’ve been nice to see more.

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He didn’t do a very good job when given the opportunity. I was soooo excited to see him and thought he was a sure thing, but honestly he looked slow to me and a step behind most other opponents. He seemed to struggle with free throws (in fairness most players do under Silas) as well. This my friends is why you play these kids when you’re 20 games out of contention!!! Valuable time on the court to evaluate before the next Shaun Livingston and Jeremy Lin mistake. We have ZERO idea if Queen is a G League hype job or the real deal thanks to Silas and he surely won’t be given another opportunity at the NBA level with 2 more picks coming in and a crowded backcourt. We blew our opportunity but at least got to watch Gordon and Schroder play a bunch of absolutely meaningless games.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

If Silas had played Queen more often, he wouldn't have been G-League MVP. Then your thread title would be:

"Why did Silas give scrub Queen so much PT??!!!!!! "

#26 topfive, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    harold bingo, Bo6, pmac and 2 others like this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

While it’s nice he got MVP, honestly I’d rather throw all that glitter aside to have found out what he could do against real NBA talent. If I wrote the title you suggested then at least we’d know the true value of this kid and selfishly since I only watch the NBA Rockets games….it means much more to me than a G League accolade.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I sincerely doubt Silas needs to see Queen in NBA competition to assess his talents. He watches him against NBA players in practice.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Were they? Should Gordon and Schroeder have been playing as many minutes as they did?

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  10. verse

verse Contributing Member

Coach Biko FTW!!! Can't like enough! Lol

Nook likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And I don’t believe Mr Silas has anything resembling a free hand. However, to know is not to know.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Sengun only played something like 15 real NBA games(!!!), I dont count 5 minutes a night or 12 minutes a night( 4 x 3 minutes spurts lol) as the real nba games....

this mutha****a aint foolin me

fattz likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is 100% correct but he brought this upon himself because of all other wild dumb stuff that he did, well him and his father anyway...

not only was he a big all time loser, he managed to produce a son that is even worse than him....

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The timing of when the vets stopped playing was a sure sign to me that the
    Tank was on. Seems like they were removed from the equation when top 5
    pick was locked in.

Vets mission was to reassure the ship was scuttled or grounded.

The one that should be angry is Jalen Green. The front office kept him
    as a spot up shooter in the corner the whole season and cost him the
    ROTY award and any incentives that went with it.

We saw what happened when they started to unlock Green from
    a little from February on. And then when they completely let him
    loose after top 5 pick was secure. 6 games of 30 points in 7 games
    or something like that.

I don't believe Jamahl Mosley, Silas, Dwane Casey are as bad as they are asked
    to be. Daigneault might be though.

15. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Because Reggie Jackson called dibs :D

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Part of it is an opportunity. The NBA has plenty of scorers, even the worst team in the league. Being a dynamic scorer in the G league didn't transition this year anyway. He's an option to maybe be a 6th man, bench scorer type but he's got to shoot better for sure. Other than that, what else does he bring to the table? He's got to develop a 2 way game or be an absolute force on offense.

Having so many options at guard that a G-league MVP can't get playing time is just another sign that the Rockets need to go big this draft. We don't any more friggin guards.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

you have to be spot on with a name like that

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

There was no need to play either a few weeks after trade deadline. It was pure selfishness by Silas to try to get meaningless wins he still ironically couldn’t get with the vets. Gordon needed to play up until the trade deadline to up his value which worked great until the Rockets turned down the first round pick that was supposedly offered. Schroeder is Olynick #2 and will not be back next year. No way in “@&$ is Tilman going to spend 10+ million dollars for a backup to KPJ. Rockets knew this all along, but once again Silas went for his own best interest. After the Miami Dolphins situation where they were called out for telling the coach to tank, no professional team owners/management are demanding for their head coaches to sit their vets out of fear of backlash which includes racism, future lawsuits, and gaming the system.

19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If we were competing for a playoff spot, then absolutely “Yes”. Once we were officially eliminated from playoff contention all the you g players should have been given priority evaluation time and Silas did the opposite all the way up until the very last few games.

20. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Ah yes forgot about RoCo and Reed! But if it is worth anything, i really love the silky smooth jumpshot of Queen.

D-rock likes this.