1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did we sign Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Aug 8, 2021.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He will not rebound and he does not block shots.....he have no use

hakeem94 and ashleyem like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A Texan team got to have Theis, Ohlbrecht or Dirk.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we could use him for garrison mathews to acclimatize better

Jontro likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Should have kept Kelly. At least he could shoot the 3.

Bo6 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hartenstein should have been the big we pursued for depth. I think Sengun needs all the minutes he can handle, and wouldn't mind seeing more Garuba, but yes we do need another big in the lineup. I just feel like Theis should have been scouted a bit better as being pretty limited, and more of a bench big to fill in some minutes. I'm glad he's here because we need the depth as the season starts and injuries happen, but I think we could have gotten better value with Hartenstein.

Williamson and hakeem94 like this.
  7. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

wish his contract was one year shorter

HROZ likes this.
  8. HROZ

HROZ Member

So many mistakes with Theis.

A) An overpay
    B) Extra year
    C) Signing him

I don't understand why we didn't use those spare spots to take on unwanted 2 year contracts on exchange for draft picks (for example Powell Richardson on Mavs, Adams Bledsoe on Pelicans)

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Post of the year.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. HROZ

HROZ Member

I tried to tell everyone

But does anyone listen to me....

In my follow up post I mentioned that we should use the last roster spots to take bad contracts off other teams in exchange for then giving us assets.

juanming likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Theis would be fine as a SINGLE big, just as Olynyk, Wood or Sengun would be....with this group.

DD

clos4life likes this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Im very happy most of the fans here have day jobs and not professional execs or scouts lmao

HP3 and saleem like this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

To be fair no one knew Silas would use him as a stretch center and also start Tate with him and ruin spacing and also insist on playing him over Sengun eventhough Sengun looks and is clearly better. Basically we didnt know SIlas was this stupid.

juanming likes this.
  14. HROZ

HROZ Member

Just admit it was a mistake to sign him.

As I've said in previous posts.
    Wood Sengun Garuba all will be vying for C mins.

We aren't a playoff team so why not just use those last 2 spots (Theis Nwaba) to take on contracts other teams don't want, in exchange for them giving us Draft Picks.

Bet Dallas would give up a late 1st to offload Powell.

15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

First of all if youve seen my posts since preseason I have been saying he should be sitting. Ive been screaming for Sengun to start forever. Not only that but most of the top picks for next year are bigs and so obviously it was a mistake to sign him. The big issue though is SIlas made it a huge mistake by how he was using him. If he just used Theis as a back up big when Sengun and Wood both sat it wouldnt be a huge issue.

16. HROZ

HROZ Member

My reply was to DD.

But quickly I think Theis is an overpay. There's too many Cs out there to begin with. The market is flooded, $9 mill for Theis is double what should've been paid. There's so many teams wanting to offload Cs. That would've been better options as we'd probably get draft assets with them.

But yes I wouldn't have paid over 5 mill a year for Theis.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

My bad I have him blocked I thought it was too me.

HROZ likes this.
  18. juanming

juanming Member

You're right. I just reread the beginning of the thread you made every single person on here look stupid LOL except me because I didn't post in the thread

Some of them are backed into a corner from you, trying to blame Silas for starting him. That may be correct however , he makes 9-10 mil a year, so if he's a backup center that is AWFULLY alot to pay for a backup center.

So that means either Silas is a complete idiot for starting him or stone is a complete idiot for signing him that much money as a bench player

Anyone saying "well we didn't know sengun would be this good this fast" is an idiot because even if that is true which it isn't, we we're rebuilding even before the draft so there was no reason to ever "take things slow" with sengun.

Just a very Sissy organization that doesn't have the balls 2 bench him,(took 17 losing games for them to finally figure that out) and for those of you on here and there's actually many, that's say "theis is a movable contract we can trade him anytime we want for an asset".......REALLY?????

THEIS SUCKS whole league knows it.. we can't get shet for him and that's why they are so relunctant to bench him cuz they look stupid. But starting him they look stupid also, so they have egg on their face no matter what happena

Again we are rebuilding, I still don't get why some posters said "but but but we need him for the ever-important veteran leadership and mentorship for our young guys otherwise they won't grow"

Again that is a sissy attitude. That's basically saying you don't trust young guys and you think they are dumb as hell so you need to get over the hill or has been veteran like house theis or dj to "provide mentorship" otherwise sengun Martin and brooks won't know how to win

Hate those fans and that attitude and it's a lot of them.. how did that turn out? Silas play his veterans over his young guys and we had a 16-game losing streak. Wait, it's okay though we can still trade theis tomorrow because he's on a great 4 yr deal that everybody wants

I'm upset because I experienced this not only on this board but in everyday life people that are big headed and they end up looking stupid

HROZ likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

signing thighs.

[​IMG]

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s not a bad player, but he is a bad fit. He will eventually have some value, but not while he’s on the court with any of our other centers at the same time. That was never going to work. The single biggest problem with this organization is their assumption that you can just plug and play guys at any position and have it work out. As a result, we have 3 centers and about a million scoring guards and a roster that is an absolute mess.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.