1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did we sign Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Aug 8, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It took me a second but I see what you did there

2. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

As much as I love both the Sengun & Garuba picks, it's nice to bring in a veteran like Theis, gives the Rockets something they haven't had, actual bigs, not small bigs, as much as I love PJ Tucker, and am happy he got a ring, I hated small ball, with Tucker at C.

Just my 2 cents.

3. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

As much as I love both the Sengun & Garuba picks, it's nice to bring in a veteran like Theis, gives the Rockets something they haven't had, actual bigs, not small bigs, as much as I love PJ Tucker, and am happy he got a ring, I hated small ball, with Tucker at C.

Just my 2 cents.

bj3175, D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's not going anywhere for 2 years.

burlesk, ico4498 and Aruba77 like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t mind him as a 3-yr signing to help build the defensive mentality this team needs and bring out the dog in these young players. Agreed he’s not going anywhere for 2 yrs; his presence will be good for all our young bigs, including Wood. I’d like to see Theis and Sengun split time at center.

bj3175 and burlesk like this.
  6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The team needed front court depth and 36/4 is a team friendly and moveable contract. Wood has been oft injured, and Sengun and Garuba are rookies.

bj3175 likes this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you think that? His contract is non guaranteed. Easy to trade.

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

There's this position called Power Forward, you may have heard of it? maybe?

red5rocket and AB83Rules like this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

So the older ladies have somerthing to drool at.

10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Because he essentially has the same size and dimensions as Sengun and is known to be very solid defensively for what he offers physically. 3-4 years of Theis mentoring Sengun will undoubtedly make him a better defender.

11. HROZ

HROZ Member

In today's NBA
    All 4 of those players are predominantly C's with maybe a few minutes at PF.

But yes it does appear Wood & Garuba will get some PF minutes.

Though in the playoffs both would most likely nearly exclusively play C minutes.

But I guess we aren't making the playoffs this year so it doesn't matter.

D-rock likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Theis has 15% trade kicker he prob wont be moved.

13. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Yep, plus Sengun & Garuba are only 19.

Like I said we needed a real big man, we got a good amount now with Wood, Sengun, Theis, Garuba.

As for PF, Tate isn't going to get 48 mins a game, we'll split minutes up between C/PF with Wood, Theis, and maybe Sengun, then Garuba at PF,.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

A wood ain't demanding c minutes lol. Dude don't wanna banger down low. Bad garuba is lu dert. He won't play center in the NBA either. Just so you know

15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

If Wood plays Center we will suck again. People are taking this modern NBA thing too far. You still need defense and rebounding at the rim and Wood doesnt cover that. Wood is a Modern PF not Center. It was idiotic for us to get rid of Capella and hopefuly now that MDA and Morey are gone we can dispatch with that ridiculous notion. Literally all of the best teams in last seasons playoffs had defensive centers.

Dobbizzle and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

17. monster

monster Member

Some of you are failing to grasp the current status of this team. While the draft was exciting and we have a bright future, we are not close to being a finished product or legit contenders. There will be a number of players who come and go between now and them. Theis is a bigger body, has some decent skills, and is cost effective. Please stop acting like we're one piece away, and accept that this is a 2-4yr process.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It’s a good pick up imo.

we’re not going to be shooting for the playoffs next year or prob the year after let alone contending.

if we do get close to the playoffs or actually make it in that time period then that’s great and it means thies Is getting rotation minutes and the young guys have passed him up and are looking extremely good.

This is a win win signing. Our two young bigs are not gonna be ready to play big min this year imo even if they actually might be more NBA ready then any bigs in the draft maybe even Mobley.

and no I don’t think our two young bigs are better prospects than Mobley before you guys get me lol. But they do have more physical strength and have been playing against grown men.

REEKO_HTOWN, coachbadlee and D-rock like this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Please - no posts that are spot-on while evoking shudders and tears of fears.

burlesk likes this.
  20. HROZ

HROZ Member

Bump

Should never have signed Theis.

Joe Rocket and pippendagimp like this.