1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why did we sign him....ahhhhhh!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by c0r0na21, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He's not a bad value but not a great one either. The only reason I see for the Rockets bringing him in is that they don't actually believe they will contend in the next few years (Yao's window). Shane should be able to maintain close to his current level of play for another 3 years which is about as long as anyone could reasonably expect Yao to be a franchise player.

Currently, Ariza is not an upgrade over Shane. He does some things better but he doesn't defend nearly as well, doesn't shoot as well and does not take advantage of his athleticism enough for that to separate him from Shane. Right now, having him and Shane on the floor at the same time is redundant and a liability. That will continue until one guy is moved or when Shane gets too old.

The Ariza signing, to me, looks like Morey wanted someone to inherit the SF position for after Shane is gone and for the next 6-8 years. Despite what he says I think he signed Trevor expecting him to improve as a player but if he does not and remains a 10ppg game who gives decent defense then it's still a decent value.

I just feel the team as currently assembled OR with Yao and/or McGrady (or another star wing) back could use a different type of player than Ariza is. It's less about his value and more about him filling a void that doesn't exist.

2. redao

redao Member

The obvious one: Ariza's age.
    Ariza will bring more two years later when things are in place.

3. 523744

523744 Member

I find it funny that anyone would believe Ariza is a 1st or 2nd option. The rockets did bring him in here to be that, thats what they told him he was going to be, but then you hear Morey reiterate that hes worth the money on his defense ALONE. Lets talk about the Ariza signing at the beggining of next year when we have a healthy Yao, and hopefully signed a big FA. Because Ariza can be the PERFECT complimentary player on a championship team (see 2009 champions)

4. 523744

523744 Member

sorry no edit.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I would say otherwise. You're acting like we paid him like a star. He's getting the friggin' MLE.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

id rather listen to gucci manne's whole mix-tape discography then to click on this thread again. burrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Which is a lot of money right now for a guy that is only a borderline starter. Hell, he has never even averaged 9ppg in his career. He is making more than Ron Artest.

8. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

can we trade trevor ariza for Travis outlaw?? :D

werent the blazers shipping outlaw around? travis outlaw is a better all around player than ariza but i dunno how much outlaw makes

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

By how much? And they are playing almost the exact same. Preseason and the 1 regular season game..

The man had 12 pts and a couple steals playing like a jack ass.. think of what he can do playing smart and within the system..

10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Whoa :eek: Whoa :eek: let's not talk crazy now. Next your going to be saying Stevie Unemployment was the best Rocket.

11. showtang043

showtang043 Member

who are midlevel players, outside of ron artest, they are the poseys and what not. Role players basically, right now ariza has the uncomfortable task of being one of the top options, but he is the ideal role player so once t-mac comes or yao, and he has someone to play off of he'll be able to do what we need him to do better so we can't really judge till we see that

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

MLE for a borderline starter is fine.

Ron is getting the MLE, too; same exact amount.

There has been 1 game in the season.

What is wrong with you?

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The full MLE is a ton for a borderline starter who has yet to prove anything in his NBA career. What is wrong with you?

14. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Sounds like the typical so-called sports fans in this city.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wtf? Pretty much our only shot at a championship in the next decade or so is next year when Yao comes back. Lol.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Why does this thread even have a star?

This guy has a grand total of 26 posts and already he's using his privileges for BS threads, lame. :rolleyes:

17. Dream Shake 81

Trevor is the man. He can hit the 3 and is a great defender. Why do people think he's an all star??? I mean he is at MLE!!!! If he was an all star he'd get paid much more. 3/4 of people on this website are morons. I am new member, and this is not what i expected. I came over from Realgm to these crazy idiots?!
    Who ever questions Ariza's signing is just dumb. Charles Barkley would have been right about this team being the worst in the NBA if we didn't at least sign Trevor.

18. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

At the two or three, he will be hard pressed to be an All-Star this season due to the reputations of other 2/3 in the West. I doubt whatever numbers he puts up that he would jump in front of the likes of Kobe, Durant, Roy and so on. If anything this needs to be his year for getting into the All-Star consideration category.

Last night it appeared that he was frustrated by plays not going well for him or his team mates. I actually liked that he showed that I just hope that he is able to channel that frustration into positives for himself and the team.

Consistency is a major point of improvement for this team as well as who is going to score the ball when things get tight. Still not sure who that will be for us beyond the hopes for a healthier McGrady.

Hang in there Rockets fans!!! :cool:

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Why do people keep thinking he will become an All Star????

He is not or more than likely will never be mentioned at that level even after the Kobe's and Carmelo's.

Trevor Ariza is not expected to become an All Star, get it thru your heads!!!!!!

That's not what he's here for and neither was Shane, they are pretty much the same players. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

People are putting entirely too much weight on THIS season when it comes to why we signed Ariza.

We signed Ariza because we already know that he is a really good role player, and a really good defender. This season is just to see if he can improve his game with the ball in his hands.

If he makes vast improvements on offense and becomes a solid scorer this season, (I'm not saying he will, but if he does) then getting him for the MLE would be a STEAL.

If he doesn't, then he's basically a younger Shane Battier that we got for less money.

I think it was a good signing, honestly.