1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did we release Livingston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, May 4, 2016.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Similar argument is used to say that it was no big deal to have missed drafting Leonard because 14 other GMs did the same.

So Morey was no better than 14 other GMs.

In this case, 9 GMs did the same.

J.R.'s post clearly shows that it was a money matter. It had nothing to do with talent. It had nothing to do with cap space. That said, it wasn't Morey's money. It's Les Alexander's money. So Morey was just working for his boss.

2. dmoneybangbang

Average?

On the one hand people list all the decent players that we have let go as proof for Darly Moronic and with the other hand dismiss morey's player evaluation. We can't keep every player and timing is often key.

3. dmoneybangbang

How are we supposed to keep most of the players and acquire a James harden type player or other major pieces?

You obviously don't get it. We have had a lot of good players come through but sometime the timing simply isn't good/they aren't ready to compete when we have them.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Carl Landry. Plus we re-signed Lowry and Scola.

5. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

So Morey needs to be fired/demoted because his "cheap owner" doesnt want to pay role players who perform multilple years after they are let go from here? Even tho some of them not being here was part of the process of getting Harden here, who you feel the Rockets shouldnt trade?

6. dmoneybangbang

People are simply emotional right now and are throwing crap at the wall.

There's not way you can call Morey a top GM after this season but he's still good.

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

excuse me as I interrupt this important internet debate, to share some stats =p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shaun Livingston is shooting 57% on turnaround jump shots in the post, 62% on floaters, 60% finishing, &amp; 45% on pull up jumpers, this season</p>&mdash; Synergy Sports Tech (@SynergySST) <a href="https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/727714208209580032">May 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ok carry on.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Landry was not a first round pick......and we traded Lowry and cut Scola.

DD

9. dmoneybangbang

That's impressive, too bad he couldn't produce like that on the plethora of other teams.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Did you specify that it had to be a first round pick? Why does that matter?

We gave the KMart/Lowry/Battier/Scola team three years together. Are we supposed to keep players forever? Hell, you didn't even like Lowry at all and now you're all like "Why didn't we keep his ass?" You called him a scrub up until he was traded. When Toronto was trying to trade for him you had this to say:

And now, four years later you're going to cry about letting him go when we got Harden in return. You are the last person that ever gets to complain about losing Lowry. I've been a fan of Lowry's since Villanova and even I don't complain about what we got for him.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DaDaEpimetheus World. . .you should have been able to keep all those other players
    AND retain all the good ones you have

Rocket River

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Beverley...you know, one of our starters.

#112 heypartner, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He was on a non guaranteed deal and we had like 3 other PGs under contract. Plus he wasn't half of what he turned into with GS.

Stop looking for reasons to complain!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Are you kidding me? It is not my job to find or keep the talent, I am a fan with favorites, we are talking about Morey here, and whether he was able to recognize develop and build a team.

Not me, if I was on the clock as GM, I would have been fired long ago.

DD

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Did you guys forget Corey Brewer?

16. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Morey was short sighted on Livingston. He was looking at manipulating contracts over player ability. I remember Mchale actually wanted to keep him. This was a example of analytics knowledge over basketball knowledge.

17. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

It doesn't matter, if you see how our system is made up, there's no use of a Shaun Livingston on this team. The coaches and the players around him wouldn't know how to play with him.

He wouldn't have been used properly anyways so good for him that Morey let him go. He deserves what he's getting now, he's worked hard for it. Playing for the Rockets would've just made him another journeyman scrub.

18. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Nah not even close. When he came back in 2008 only maybe 3-4 teams were interested, so that's 20+ gms missing in 2008 by this silly logic.

In 2009 he had to sign with the Thunders D-League team so that's another 29 GMs that passed. Make it 30 because the THunder waived him. What if OKC had him to go with Westbrook right now?

In 2010 the Wizards gave hima shot mid-season to a couple 10 -day contracts, so another 20 +gm's passed. 2011 he was tradedto MIl,2012 signed by the Rockets and quickly waived.

So on and so forth. This is nothing more than a role player excelling on a team that allows role players to thrive and make an impact. Capela could do exactly what Ezeli's doing for them. TJones could do what Speights is doing. Jet could do what Barbosa's doing. Ariza could provide what Iguodala's providing.

You put them on this team and it doesn't work. If Jeremy Lin was never a Rocket, you would've watched games 3,4,5 and say wow, the Rockets could really use a guy to jump start the offense, handle the ball and take pressure off Harden, get others involved.

But we saw what happened when he wore a Rocket uniform,people couldn't wait to run him out of town.

19. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

He's same guy he was in NJ. Dude averages 6 ppg, people need to chill out because he excelled in the post vs Beverley. Yea he had 15 points yesterday on 15 shots!

Blew a point blank layup that Bev gets blasted for all the time except Iggy was there to slam it back yesterday.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Except the Livingston situation had absolutely nothing to do with analytics. I swear, the analytics argument is the go to option when folks can't think of anything else to complain about with a Morey move. Yes, he was short sighted on Livingston (an 8 year veteran who had never averaged more than 9PPG or been a consistent starter), but he was long sighted 110% on the Rockets longterm roster. He made the move that 99% of GM who are playing the long game would have made.

It was a simple equation. Morey before the Howard & cap spike era operated every year under the cap to take on contracts to make in season trades. It happened every year, and it was his biggest tool to make trades.

As i've said many times in this thread, the Harden trade happened a mere day or two before they waived him, and that deal brought back a ton of salary. Les & Morey ate up 7 million in dead salary that training camp with players with non guaranteed salary to get the dead done & still retain cap flexibility.

That cap flexibility is what allowed them to execute the T. Robinson/Garcia trade & I'm sure Morey would have liked to have gotten a bigger deal done as well. They also had the cap flexibility to sign Aaron Brooks that season.

At the time Aaron Brooks was probably a better player around the league, and a much better fit for the Rockets off the bench. (although I'm sure the usual boneheads here will claim that they liked Livingston more than Brooks at the time or something)... and oddly enough isn't Aaron Brooks like DD's favorite of all time or something?

So... No... the Livingston move had nothing to do with Analytics... it was elementary math, basic understanding of the salary cap, and common sense.

#120 dobro1229, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016