1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did we pick up Rice?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OverRRated, Feb 17, 2002.

1. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Not going to waste by time bashing, but I would love to know why we picked him up.
    Even if he was healthy, with his contract and health problems......why?

2. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Becuase Rice is suppose to carry RT and this ISO/drive, ISO/Pass to guy for 3 offensive system, thats it. Basically Rice was a more expensive form of the Bull that hopefully could also offer some mid range shooting also.

I'll admit, knowing RT style of ball, I thought the move would work. Unfortunately for us all, Rice has contributed nothing this year.

Lets cross our fingers for next year

3. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I just find it funny that people actually pick up these types of contracts...........especially us since we're rebuilding.

Does anyone know who were the main people behind this deal?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is all my fault, I was at Dinner one night with Rudy, and I leaned over and asked him to get me some Rice.

I am really very sorry.

DaDakota

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Rice belongs in the basket at the grocery store with the bent up cans. He was a bent up can when we traded for him. Damaged goods.

6. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

LOL, Dadakota.

Rice has been the mvp of my NBA Live season so far...so raspberries all around.

*blpppppppppp*

7. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Community Building.

Houston is building a home for the aged of the NBA.

Players aged 35 up with huge contracts are welcome.

Or any mediocre player whose game resembles the play of an old, passé player.

Why didn't Jordan visit though?

Oh yeah, Jordan is not your mediocre, old stereotype kind of player. HE'S a WINNER.

The Rockets just love LOSERS.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Any chance we had of getting a FA went down the drain when Olajuwon felt the need to take his sweet time deciding what to do. As well as the idiotic re-signings of Mo and Moochie to overpaid contracts.

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Really, what were we thinking when we signed those two albatross contracts with Mooch and Mo????? Big money long term. We have nothing subastantive to show for the cap room from Olajuwon....

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

We got Rice because we felt he was a good shooter, completely unbad at team defense, and a good option in the post and a the best passer on the team.

It was a gamble that didn't work out so well.

As far as Mooch and Maurice, Mooch's contract is not a cap albatross, and Maurice is an important part of the teams future.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

By the time Olajuwon made his decision (I think he wanted out all along), there were no FA's to pursue. Just guys to overpay on our own team, as well as making the sign and trade with Shandon.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Maurice will be an "important" backup PF in a few years (maybe next year), while Moochie has slid further than Enron stock.

How is that not an albatross?

I guess the Rockets were lucky to re-sign Maloney too?

:rolleyes:

13. Puedlfor

I don't see Maurice as a back-up, so I don't see his contract as an albatross.

Moochie's contract is too small to be an albatross as well.

Also, both contracts will diminish relative to the cap over the next few years, and the cap increases at a greater rate than the contracts do.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The cap does not really increase at a greater rate than the contracts. If anything, they move at the same pace IMO.

If Maurice is not a backup, then Griffin is a backup for the future then?

And please don't tell me you envision Griffin to be a SF or a C.

Bottom line is Mo will either be a backup (he will probably b**** like he did in LA if he were a backup) or will be traded.

15. Puedlfor

I envision that Maurice and Eddie will play as a tandem at either the forward positions, or a 4-5 tandem.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Hey remember when we could've had Olajuwon and Jordan on the same team back in the mid-80s? Why didn't we do that?