1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did we expect TWill, Thabeet, Flynn, and JHill to come to Houston and dominate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LOLatSoccer, Mar 16, 2012.

1. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

I mean reading some of the post here relating to the 09ers, i dont understand why we expected so much from these guys. When it was clear to other teams, that these guys were failure bust.

Some of these guys were traded the same year they were drafted. I dont know why we expected them to be anymore than what they were on their orginal teams.

I think people have took what Morey did with Lowry and Dragic, and expect all unwanted players to play like them( but those are very rare cases). Lowry was behind a young PG that the Grizz wanted to invest in Conley, and Dragic was behind Nash. Maybe Dragic is for real. But we have to see how he holds up for a full 82 game season playing heavy minutes like Lowry has.

So yes we know that they suck, but thats something im sure the fans and the gm's of their former teams already knew. The bigger question should be... Why does Morey keep targeting unwanted players( and giving up 1st round picks for them)

1 person likes this.
  2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Did you expect them to dominate??

They weren't supposed to dominate they were supposed to be good enough to trade for a star... They werent so we move on.

3. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Nobody is trading you a STAR for BUST Lottery Picks

4. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

"Why does Morey keep giving up first round picks..."

Yes, because Landry, Budinger, Scola, Parsons were all obtained through this way.

Pointless thread, you assumed alot of people thought the same way about all of the players mentioned in the title, when it's FAR from it.

5. pass_to_Hakeem

yeah I agree with a lot of this .. Lowry was in a situation where there were two talented point guards, and like you said the GRIZZ decided to go with Conley ..their loss our gain as far as I am concerned, I think we got the better of the 2 .. Goran has talent as we are all seeing but unfortunately for him he was playing behind HOF Nash...so yeah but as far as Thabeet and TWill and the rest, I guess Houston was thinking a change of scenery and maybe a different set of coaches who could bring out the potential.. I have always felt it was too early to judge a player after just 1 year in the league, if that is the case then we have wasted our pick this year on Morris, cause he hasn't shown much of anything in the games he has gotten in ..

Houston had the thinking that a change of scenery and the coaching from McHale might help some of them. I don't think anybody really believed out of the 4 09'ers ..that there would be a future Super Star or even All Star for that matter...soild role player would have been perfect

6. AFS

AFS Member

Nobody expected them to dominate. We mighta expected them to be serviceable rotation players, which even in hindsight I don't think was an unreasonable expectation to set...

7. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

why do you have the ability to create threads?

8. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

You didnt read my opening title

Morey drafted Landry, Budinger, and Parsons( what does that have to do with the 09ers). BTW Scola was not an unwanted player... He just wouldnt play for the Spurs

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

The only one I thought had a chance to dominate was Twill. If ever he gets his head right then he still can. None of the other players we traded will ever dominate. Jordan can have a role for a team, JFlynn perhaps if he improves and Hasheem will be out of the league in no time never to be heard off again.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think all of them but Williams were trade fodder obtained for little to nothing from other teams. Taking them was the price we paid for the trade we wanted.

TWill actually seduced the Rockets management with his physical domination. He could have been great if he had ever developed more than a child's maturity.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Why don't the rockets win every game?
    Why don't the rockets ever have a fg% > 98%?
    Why is the sky blue?

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Obviously, or we would already have one! The fact of the matter is they all have potential to be quality player (except Thabeet) and a package of quality players CAN get you a star! They were all low-risk high-reward moves that ended up not working out. What is there to talk about?

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. thejav

thejav Member

we expected them to dominate the bench..mission accomplished..

15. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Flynn was just a throw in. Thabeet was also one to an extent, we traded Shane bc he was gonna be a free agent and we wanted to get something instead of nothing and i think it was mostly for the pick we got. Same goes for jhill, we just wanted to get anything for tmac and got a pick/hill. Twill on the other hand was not a throw in and was an actual risk, and unfortunately it didnt pan out.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not sure you have any idea about the trades that brought that collection of players here??

Hill GAINED us a first round pick. Was a promising rookie with 'potential'. This pick could end up being a lottery pick.
    We GAVE a first round pick for Williams. If he could do here what he did on his original team, then we all would've been happy. For any number of reasons he cannot. This pick cannot end up being a lottery pick.
    We GAINED Montejunas (first round pick) out of the Flynn deal. We also managed to dump B Miller. This pick has real potential.
    We GAINED a first round pick from the Thabeet trade. We gave up Battier (who was expiring and pretty well done as a player). Who cares if Thabeet can play? We got a first rounder and flipped Battier into an expiring for the following season.

Who is giving up pickS? More like we gained PICKS and had the chance to see if any of these guys could flourish in a changed scenario. Nothing to lose, lots to gain. If they don't pan out - no biggie, we still get the picks.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Simple: Most of us DIDN'T.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL what do you mean we? Not sure anybody else besides you thought the 09ers would dominate.

Regarding the busts, all of them with the exception of T-will were throw-ins in a trade for other pieces or we didn't trade anything significant for them. They were classic low-risk, high reward moves and like most such moves did not pan out. Its done, and we move on.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Exactly.

20. Ashes

Ashes Member

Why is a tree good?
    Why is a sunset good?
    Why are boobs good?