1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHY did they re-sign Bowen?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GageD, Apr 1, 2006.

1. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

The rockets got a steal with this one folks.

this moves gives us 6 years of contention.

3. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Fear not, fear not. I have a friend who works in the Rockets organization, and he told me that this is just part of a bigger sign-and-trade with the Knicks for Steve Francis. The Rockets want SF3 back, and the Knicks desperately need a hardworking player who can hustle and play defense, and Ryan Bowen fits the bill for them. They have enough scorers already, they just need to upgrade their defense. The multi-million dollar deal was necessary to make the trade work under salary cap rules.

Welcome back to Houston, Stevie!

4. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Ryan made the game winning play against the Wizards last night!

From the Washington Times
    Wizards' rally falls short
    By John N. Mitchell
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    April 1, 2006

HOUSTON -- Antawn Jamison appeared to find himself in the perfect situation.
    The ball swung masterfully from Gilbert Arenas to Donnell Taylor to Antonio Daniels in the corner before, lastly, to the recently hot-handed Jamison.
    To help the situation, Houston's defenders had been scrambling, and the man assigned to Jamison, Ryan Bowen, was so confused he fell down in front of Jamison.
    That might have been the problem.
    With time expiring and the Washington Wizards down two, Jamison's would-be game-winning 3-pointer harmlessly clanked off the back of the rim. The Wizards, who rallied furiously to get back in the game, came up short 105-103 to Houston at Toyota Center last night.
    "We got them to a point where they were scrambling," said Jamison, who finished with 28 points and nine rebounds (including going 4-for-9 from 3-point range ). "A.D. made a perfect pass. The thing that messed me up was when I saw [Ryan] fall to the floor because I was so open.
    http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060401-123245-9673r.htm

5. Holy Cow

Holy Cow Member

Dammit! The Rockets and CD are clueless in signing Bowen!!! :mad:

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

When that contract was done, MM was exactly what the Rockets needed... a heady guy who was a perfect balance for our low post play. Bowen's contract is done at a time when the Rockets need exactly what he brings to the table... we need to balance the grace of our center and the athleticism of Tmac and the speed of Alston with what Bowen brings to the court.

7. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

Bowen looked so out of place on that last play when he basically collapsed trying to contest the shot by Jamison, I was rolling, after Jamison missed the shot of course....Just go to http://www.ryanbowen.com/main.html, where all the Rybo experts get their real-time info on our favorite player :p

8. fa7999

fa7999 Member

So that JVG can get years of head service.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

this is a bargain. much lower price than we had to pay taylor or mooch, and a lot more smarts and hustle on the court for sure. looks like our rebuilding offseason started early! whooo

10. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

This seems surreal. As I was reading the article I thought it was something from The Onion. Then I looked up and saw ESPN. It's real. :mad: :confused: :rolleyes:

11. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

haha this is hilarious...keep goin guys

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

This is a great signing by the team. Rybo brings it every night and it's good to see his work ethic rewarded.

13. echu888

echu888 Member

Obviously a winning culture is not that important to the Rockets organization.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Wow, what a week, first Morey and now Bowen, what could possibly come next?

15. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I've got it on good authority that this has everything to do with the new GM's stat system. Rybo is top ten in the league for point differential when he is on the floor (since he has been in the league). We can look forward to many signings like this. Color me scared to death!

16. Y-Mac

Y-Mac Member

WTF????? I can't believe they did this.

xcomputerman,nice joke!

17. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

18. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

My question is, why didnt we get this done sooner?

I don't even think we'll need Tracy at this point with RYBO on board to take us to 2012.

19. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I LOVE this time of year at ClutchFans ... :)

20. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

these rookie posters are pissing me off. all they do is question the organizations moves and they think they know better than them. Do they have any idea how to run a multimilion dollar basketball organization? if not they should politely STFU.

SIck of these rookies, man, sick of them. Us senior posters have been around longer with the rockets and have gone through all the bad signings over several years and more.

Yao. good. Tmac. bad signing. SF3. Good. That short stint when Ewing was a backup center, Great.

Bowen is a hardworking player and this society, and especially the NBA deserves the hardworking ones to be rewarded. You rookies who complain about this signing know nothing about basketball, but us seniors, with our superior post count do, because we love this team and love basketball and are a lot smarter than you.